Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Nanokeys/Nanokontrol Studio transport question

Hello,
I'm wondering if I'll be able to do this if I purchase these Korg controllers.
I'd like to be able to switch between scenes to record onto right from the controller itself without having to switch apps on the iPad.

Say I'm using Soundprism, I want to keep Soundprism open to focus on writing notes and chord progressions, and from Nanokeys be able to launch record, pause and play on a specific scene without having to use iPad's home button to return to Gadget.

This is mostly for writing but it would be very useful afterward to tweak several instruments and launch scenes live without having to finger the tablet and open the right instrument to tweak, modulate or edit notes events.

Is that possible with Nanokey or Nanokontrol Studio ?
Thank you for any advice on how to keep Soundprism open and have Gadget transports and launching features at hand :)

Comments

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

@stelvio said:
    Say I'm using Soundprism, I want to keep Soundprism open to focus on writing notes and chord progressions, and from Nanokeys be able to launch record, pause and play on a specific scene without having to use iPad's home button to return to Gadget.

No, this isn't possible. Gadget doesn't have this ability, so no controller can do it.

This is mostly for writing but it would be very useful afterward to tweak several instruments and launch scenes live without having to finger the tablet and open the right instrument to tweak, modulate or edit notes events.

With some effort and understanding of MIDI, you could do some of this. You would need to take the controller out of "native mode" and set things up by hand, though. In native mode, Gadget takes over the NanoKEY Studio and NanoKONTRO Studio, but if it's not in native mode it's like any other MIDI controller. In advanced MIDI mode in Gadget you can map any controller to any parameter.

On the NanoKEY, you only have 8 knobs, so you'd need to get into the "scenes" (not to be confused with Gadget scenes), which lets you set up up to six groups of settings, effectively giving you 48 controls to work with. The NanoKONTROL has more controls, but also has scenes to extend the number of controls.

...to tweak, modulate or edit notes events.

You can tweak and modulate controls, but not change notes other than to record new notes if that's what you mean by "edit notes events".

Is that possible with Nanokey or Nanokontrol Studio ?

As noted, some of it is possible. But since it would require turning off native mode, and acting like any other MIDI controller, neither bring anything special to the table other than BlueTooth connectivity.

Thank you for any advice on how to keep Soundprism open and have Gadget transports and launching features at hand :)

You just said the magic words there ... "Transports and Launching". The NanoKONTROL Studio transport controls will work in native mode, but would negate everything I described above. I know of no other controller that can manage Gadget's transport controls.

Launching ... Impossible unfortunately.

One thing that does work for Gadget's transport (not scene launching) is the AudioBus sidebar play and stop buttons. So ... finally the answer to your question! Load Gadget and SoundPrism into AudioBus. Then you can start and stop Gadget from within SoundPrism. Get a MIDI controller (any MIDI controller), and map the controls to what you want to tweak in Gadget. You will be able to start and stop gadget and tweak controls. But no more.

• One thing that does work for Gadget's transport (not scene launching) is the AudioBus sidebar play and stop buttons. So ... finally the answer to your question! Load Gadget and SoundPrism into AudioBus. Then you can start and stop Gadget from within SoundPrism. Get a MIDI controller (any MIDI controller), and map the controls to what you want to tweak in Gadget. You will be able to start and stop gadget and tweak controls. But no more.

Thats a good tidbit of info, Thanks! I'm going to try recording MIDI into gadget from various arps and chord makers using my nanoKONTROL Studio and nanoKEY Studio using this method...

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

@AlleycatLA said:

One thing that does work for Gadget's transport (not scene launching) is the AudioBus sidebar play and stop buttons. So ... finally the answer to your question! Load Gadget and SoundPrism into AudioBus. Then you can start and stop Gadget from within SoundPrism. Get a MIDI controller (any MIDI controller), and map the controls to what you want to tweak in Gadget. You will be able to start and stop gadget and tweak controls. But no more.

Thats a good tidbit of info, Thanks! I'm going to try recording MIDI into gadget from various arps and chord makers using my nanoKONTROL Studio and nanoKEY Studio using this method...

For the most seamless experience there, make sure Link is enabled in all apps that support it, and that all are loaded in AudioBus, then use the global start button. I've used this with FugueMachine recording MIDI simultaneously into four tracks in Gadget, and it worked perfectly.

• Thank you for the detailed answers :) It's a shame we can't map transports without losing the native mode :/ Gadget is great but it's frustrating how it lacks some basic functions sometimes.

• Korg really should open up the Native Mode to use the scenes as assignables. The frustrating thing about the Natives is the restriction to the 1 scene. Failing allowing assignable scenes for the remaining, Gadget should allow everything to be cc mappable.