Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IPhone IOS Musicians Check In......

Once I got an iPhone 5s, I've been making more music on it and now I'm wishing I had more universal apps. I wish Beathawk was universal! I'm almost about to fork out $20 for iMachine2 which could have gone to Beathawk Development @BastienCo but I might hold off.
Gadget on iPhone is so awesome! Even Rock Drum Machine, Is cool on iPhone . Is it really too much coding to port code to iPhone?

Comments

• Check. Currently loving me some ikaossilator, Thumbjam, and Magellan. Gadget just....I don't even know.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Is it really too much coding to port code to iPhone?

Apparently, yes. For complex apps, I think it most often has to do with the UI (design, workflows and requisite coding). Gets harder if the app wasn't originally conceived on the smal screen. Especially when it's free to users (aka universal), I imagine it's hard to justify the expense for a lot of devs.

Personally, I use my phone for a few dedicated musical purposes, depending on what I'm doing, and it has more than enough good apps available for those purposes.

• Since retiring my iPad 2, I use my iPhone 6 Plus exclusively.

• My iPhone essentially functions as my repository for resource hungry apps (Alchemy, Sampletank, iSymphonic, loops, samples, sessionbands, launchpad, etc...) It has 128 GB.

My iPad with only 16gb is my work area. Through the use of Dropbox, MIDI over Bluetooth, etc... I am able to integrate the two as a system and the workflow is...well...workable.

• edited August 2016

I don't like the iPhone for making music, the screen its way to small for me, I only like apps really designed with the small screen in mind, most universal apps or separate apps port from the iPad versions are not that good, mostly you're adding steps to a process that's much simpler on the iPad, compare for example working with GarageBand on the iPad with GarageBand on the iPhone, synths that fit everything comfortably on a single iPad screen, need 3 or 4 separate screens to fit everything plus a keyboard in another separate screen or if the developer fits everything in to the small screen you have to keep zooming in and out endlessly, I know it would be cool to have something like Auria pro, cubasis, beathawk, etc on an iPhone but just imagine the workflow, would it be better?

On the iPhone I like thumbjam, elastic drums, ikaossillator, auxy (the second version), bebot, monotone delay, beat machine, noisepad. All of them developed for iPhone first and In some cases the workflow its way better on the small screen. most effects apps with simple UIs are alright as well.

• I rarely use my iPad for music apps anymore, since most of the time I reach for iOS apps for quick sketching when I"m out of the studio. Just easier carrying the phone really. Auxy and Gadget are my go to's, though everyonce in awhile I'll just have fun with Mitosynth too.

• @syrupcore said:
    Apparently, yes. For complex apps, I think it most often has to do with the UI (design, workflows and requisite coding).

This. Most of the time the audio engine etc. can be pretty much the same, but most of the UI has to be redone. Even with simple interfaces like Ruismaker's it's still a bit of a puzzle to make everything fit on a 4" screen in a usable way.

But it's still just worth it. If I look at the statistics, about 1/5 of the installations of Ruismaker are on an iPhone.

• @brambos said:

>

But it's still just worth it. If I look at the statistics, about 1/5 of the installations of Ruismaker are on an iPhone.

I think that's mainly because there is to my knowledge only one AU-X host for iPhone? Garageband...

I'll see where Apple leads us, my iPhone 5 is due for an update soon, the battery is starting (again) to play tricks on me...

I will not miss the headphone jack on a new iPhone as long as I can use whatever listening device and charge it at the same time, and voila, I already got a nuForce uDac-2 that works nicely with the USB-3 CCK but drains too much juice to be used stand-alone and sounds totally awesome!

• edited August 2016

@Samu said:

@brambos said:

I think that's mainly because there is to my knowledge only one AU-X host for iPhone? Garageband...

And AUM, of course!

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

@brambos said:

And AUM, of course!

DOH! Silly me, I was too focused on hosts where it's also possible to sequence the app :)
    There are some quite nice sequencers for iPhones too such as Infinite/Aleph Looper.

• iPhone needs even more than iPad special devolped apps. Evergreens: Bassline, Modrum and Triqtraq. They're cheap and work fine. Fun apps unfortunately without audiobus: sampletoy and SoundyThingie. Personally I think gadget is too small. Oops I forgot Figure which is free ;)