Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Almost ready for Launch: Ruismaker FM

I'm happy to announce that Ruismaker is getting a crazy twin sister: Ruismaker FM

Although she shares lots of DNA with Ruismaker, she's very different! Based on a flexible FM synthesis engine you can create unusual percussive sounds from scratch; kicks, snares, hits, hats, bobs, blibs, cymbals, zaps, twangs, etc. etc.

Because it's an AU Instrument you can run as many instances as you like in parallel (and CPU load is as low as you've come to expect from a Ruismaker plugin).

Fully MIDI CC automatable. Compatible with any AU host on iPad and iPhone.

Audio samples and more details coming soon.

Release date: TBA, probably September

Comments

• edited August 2016

Omg yes. I love it already. Could it possibly load dx7 patches ?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Omg yes. I love it already. Could it possibly load dx7 patches ?

No, because it's a very different sort of engine. It's essentially a percussion machine based on FM synthesis rather than a melodic synth (although it does make nice growly/wowy basslines if you want). So it has waveforms that are optimized for drum sounds (like very metallic inharmonic waves for creating cymbals and hats) and modulation/envelope behavior is heavily modified for percussion.

Having said that, the oscillator pitch is chromatically quantized so your sounds can always tune nicely with the rest of your tracks.

If you want to compare it to something it is conceptually closest to an ER-1, although the sound is very different (as similar as a Minimoog is to an SH-101 or a Wasp) and the engine is deeper.

• Liking the idea of this, and hopefully the sound, too...when you have a demo.

• Here's a rough quick first dump (13 instances of Ruismaker FM sequenced in Cubasis).

What I personally like best about the Ruismaker FM concept is that you can create all these sounds (from conventional synth snares to weird alien sci-fi effects to lo-fi hits) with a seemingly simple set of parameters. And while tinkering you always stumble onto something new and surprising...

• @brambos said:
    Here's a rough quick first dump (13 instances of Ruismaker FM sequenced in Cubasis).

What I personally like best about the Ruismaker FM concept is that you can create all these sounds (from conventional synth snares to weird alien sci-fi effects to lo-fi hits) with a seemingly simple set of parameters. And while tinkering you always stumble onto something new and surprising...

Groovy!!

• edited August 2016

@sirdavidabraham said:
    Groovy!!

Just a quick 15 minute jam, don't judge my qualities as an artist on it B)

But what you'll hear is that Ruismaker FM will sit perfectly next to her sister in terms of sound character. They make a pretty pair, the classic Ruismaker providing analog drums and R.FM doing all sorts of percussive effects (although everything in this demo was done with R.FM on her own).

• @brambos
    Fantastic: as far as I'm concerned, all drum synths should have fm, and your sample track sounds are so tasty. Did you consider building this modality into Ruismaker as an IAP?
    (Either way works of course, IAP or new app, whichever gets these sounds into my host sooner)

• I feel there is potential for a 'Ruismaker Synth AU-X' with all parameters exposed.
    No need for multiple sounds per instance.

I like what I hear from this one too :)

• @Samu said:
    I feel there is potential for a 'Ruismaker Synth AU-X' with all parameters exposed.

This one has all its parameters exposed too - so nothing hardwired going on below the surface that can not be controlled from the UI. But you probably mean a melodic synth instrument, right?

• @brambos said:

>

This one has all its parameters exposed too - so nothing hardwired going on below the surface that can not be controlled from the UI. But you probably mean a melodic synth instrument, right?

That is what I was thinking about :)
    Your engine seems to be pretty complex so it would be suitable for playing the sounds as melodic instruments too...

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

>

Your engine seems to be pretty complex so it would be suitable for playing the sounds as melodic instruments too...

I knew you'd bring this up...so I held my tongue heh B) B)

• @Samu said:

I see what you mean, and it's an interesting thought for sure. I'll put this one on the fridge door because it'll take some more processing.

• Instabuy for me when it's released.

• Yes, yes, instabuy, yes

• edited August 2016

@brambos said:
    Here's a rough quick first dump (13 instances of Ruismaker FM sequenced in Cubasis).

• Don't need no rupees, but I'll take that fancy ocarina B)

• @brambos said:

Don't need no rupees, but I'll take that fancy ocarina B)

lol. I'm from India. i literally use Rupees as currency on the App Store :p

• Glad to read that :)

• To keep the control density on the UI manageable (I like combining depth with simplicity) there is some smartness in some of the controls... E.g. negative attack values result in a soft envelope attack, whereas positive attack values are short and add a clicky transient for e.g. snares and kicks.

Negative modulation amount values result in a fixed modulation rate, whereas positive amount values lock the modulation rate to the oscillator pitch rate (for more melodic sounds and harmonic frequency sidebands).

Noise oscillator can be tuned using a bandpass filter, and the Peaking Filter can overdrive a narrow frequency band to emphasize specific characteristics of the sound (e.g. boost the low end, put an accent on a hissy mid-end, etc.) and adds some dirt to the sound.

As a result, you only need these 12 controls to create a vast bandwidth of different types of sounds.

I hope that makes sense.

• Seen it, heard it, want it.

• @brambos said:

To keep the control density on the UI manageable (I like combining depth with simplicity) there is some smartness in some of the controls... E.g. negative attack values result in a soft envelope attack, whereas positive attack values are short and add a clicky transient for e.g. snares and kicks.

Negative modulation amount values result in a fixed modulation rate, whereas positive amount values lock the modulation rate to the oscillator pitch rate (for more melodic sounds and harmonic frequency sidebands).

Noise oscillator can be tuned using a bandpass filter, and the Peaking Filter can overdrive a narrow frequency band to emphasize specific characteristics of the sound (e.g. boost the low end, put an accent on a hissy mid-end, etc.) and adds some dirt to the sound.

As a result, you only need these 12 controls to create a vast bandwidth of different types of sounds.

I hope that makes sense.

Yes, yes, yes...

• If it's half as good as Ruismaker, it's worth twice the price. B)

• edited August 2016

Ultimate simple 'launch and go' setup for sequenced electronic deep ambient repetitive beats on an iPhone... on the bus?

• infinite looper (midi out to...)
    • AUM, hosting:
    • Animoog (into AFX Space)
    • Ruismaker
    • Ruismaker FM (probably also into AFX Space, maybe also AFX Dub)
    • Viking with some very squelchy bass

Sounds pretty great as it is (and Ruismaker FM isn't in there yet).

Record it all as separate tracks in AUM. Jobs a goodun.

(And you just need to launch AUM, IL and remember your patch in Animoog to get the whole thing back up and running between sessions).

• @brambos yes yes yes YES!

• @brambos - no randomise button I notice :(.

Maybe one day? :)

• Looks fantastic! Would be an excellent companion to original Ruismaker.