Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

midiSteps Tutorial

There are not that many midiSteps videos out there so I figured I would give you guys my few cents on the app.

Comments

• Thanks! That was a good watch and good timing, as I was trying to remember what sequencers I already owned that might work with some recent hardware I picked up. In particular, I got one of those Ploytec PL2 mini synth modules - cool, cheap little instrument, but it has zero physical controls. All note data is controlled by MIDI (5-pin DIN cable), and even very basic parameters like Output Volume, Filter Cutoff, and Waveform are all mapped to CC's.

I saw the portion of your video where you showed how you can program up to 3 CC parameters that are editable by step. Can it do program change commands too? There might be a way to map program change to a CC number on the PL2, but I'm still figuring it out.

I think ModStep is actually a better solution for fully tweaking hardware, though I wish they made it more accessible. As a pure sequencer, however, midiSteps looks great. Actually kind of reminds of Tony Saunders midiSequencer (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midisequencer/id787934896?mt=8) app, albeit with a much different interface. Makes sense, as both are inspired by vintage hardware.

• @StormJH1 As far as I know, it only sends CCs. Thanks for watching.

• I would buy this if it was on the iphone.

• @gmslayton Thanks a whole bunch for this good man -- I've been on the verge of getting MidiSteps for a while now and you've just dispelled much guesswork from the equation -- appreciate it very much!

• I probably haven't even used it with a MIDI keyboard yet, but the video pointed out that it's a bit like the old trackers from the 80's in it's "one note at a time" sequencing approach. Of course, you can just program it more traditionally using the touchscreen, as well.

I really had no idea they added AU hosting to this app - I must have bought it closer to the Oct 2015 release and missed that. No, it doesn't record anything, so you'd need to use another app (like AUM). But you could similarly argue that AUM doesn't have a sequencer (only a keyboard). The point is that most MIDI controller apps don't have internal sounds, and with AU hosting (or internal instruments, which Modstep has but this one doesn't), you can test out patterns without leaving the app or setting up an external connection.

• @Proppa Thanks. Its a pretty awesome little app. I have been going through my apps and seeing what apps need some tutorial love. If you have any suggestions let me know.

• @gmslayton One that springs to mind - and this is by no means a demand - is Nanoloop: I know it's capable of greatness but the minimalism of the UI is pushing some boundaries and I've yet to see any go-to tutorials on it. Only if it's of interest to you of course.

• Totally forgot about this one man - thank you for that.

• @gmslayton to follow up all I can think is why didn't I jump on MidiSteps sooner: such a welcoming entry into iOS MIDI sequencing. I referred to your video more than once when getting my head around the per-step control - thanks again.