Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trying to recreate THIS bass synth sound..

Hey guys, its time to ask the pro's again!
Trying to achieve an electric bass sound as in here @ 2:50.

It's Michael Jackson's Love Never Felt So Good track (middle 8 section). It's a lovely warm and fuzzy sound.

Would anyone be kind enough to suggest an iOS app I could use to create it? Also quite similar to bass sound used in working day and night demo:

There is an app I know is capabale of it almost compltwtely out the box (called Bassalicious), but it requires iOS9 which I don't have.

Many thanks guys!

Comments

• @SkillipEvolver said:
    Hey guys, its time to ask the pro's again!
    Trying to achieve an electric bass sound as in here @ 2:50.

It's Michael Jackson's Love Never Felt So Good track (middle 8 section). It's a lovely warm and fuzzy sound.

Would anyone be kind enough to suggest an iOS app I could use to create it? Also quite similar to bass sound used in working day and night demo:

There is an app I know is capabale of it almost compltwtely out the box (called Bassalicious), but it requires iOS9 which I don't have.

Many thanks guys!

cube synth, or korg gadget

• edited August 2016

can't listen to the first example, but the 2nd one isn't just an electric bass - sounds like doubled my a Moog sound. Or maybe run through a hard driven Moog filter...
    If you're on midi, just double the line by Animoog.

cheers, Tom

• A monophonic synth an EQ and a compressor.

• The PPG synths are bass monsters

• To me the original sounds like it is a real bass guitar through a filter so I would say ifretless through ape filter or any decent filter

• edited August 2016

You wont be able to get a sound that sounds like a real bass from a synth. Even if you sample real bass sound, you wont get all those slides, bends and vibratos to sound the same. Ofc you can make a synth to sound like a bass played very simply, but to get it to sound exactly like on that song is impossible because much of the sound and the groove comes from stuff i mentioned being impossible to do on a synth.

• On the up side, you can make synth bass sound groovy, just not the same way as a real bass :)

• edited August 2016

@RedSkyLullaby said:
    To me the original sounds like it is a real bass guitar through a filter ...

It's not too prominent, but the envelope is somewhat 'unsynthy', like @ToMess mentions: the plucking of strings and varying decays, damping and such things.
    A good electric bass may have a very complex sound - to convincingly fake it, one needs an idea about the instrument and it's playing.
    And then you'd be faster off with the real thing anyway ;)

cheers, Tom

• Use of wave tables, velocity switching, altering envelope settings and mariad of other techniques will get you some groove going in your synth bass. Automation helps too.

Yet as others are saying, if you want to copy a real bass style, it's probably better to get someone to play the bass part for real ;)

• I suggest the new gadget bass + animoog (but not too loud) , and try to be as good as original the last Timberlake ;)

• @crony said:
    I suggest the new gadget bass + animoog (but not too loud) , and try to be as good as original the last Timberlake ;)

Thanks. When you say 'new gadget bass', are you referring to the CHICAGO gadget in Gadget? (I don't known them intimately. And with regards to Animoog, are you saying I can run Gadget through Animoog? Or just suggesting Animoog as a alternative option? (Because I opened up Audiobus and I can't seem to use Animoog in the middle column 'EFFECTS').

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Use of wave tables, velocity switching, altering envelope settings and mariad of other techniques will get you some groove going in your synth bass. Automation helps too.

Yet as others are saying, if you want to copy a real bass style, it's probably better to get someone to play the bass part for real ;)

!

:) its encouraging to know I can get a last halfway there to recreating the 'real sound' by use of synths. Most ppl seem to agree on that.

---i do in fact have a real bass, but in my experimentation (using MIDI GUITAR 2), although impressive for what it can do, i couldn't find any MIDI sound close to what I'm looking for. (with that app anyway).

I seem to have much better luck using virtual pedals and amps.

I've got a few apps like: AMPLITUBE, AMPKIT+, BIASAMP, BIASFX. But from my tinkering, I I believe that are mostly intended for things like adding reverb, chorus, tremelo, compression.

-i'm familiar with these terms but I have only a basic understanding of what they really do.
    -is it possible to use any of those mentioned apps to get what im after?

• edited August 2016

The second video more than the first one to me sounds like it has a touch of second VCO tuned to a fifth up, mixed in low. The playing is more than just basic note prodding, and I would suggest that it also involved a swiftly reacting hand on the release slider. Actually, the second one reminds me of the sort of synth bass that Bee Gees used, when they were at the height of their synth bass using careers.

• @SkillipEvolver said:

@crony said:
    I suggest the new gadget bass + animoog (but not too loud) , and try to be as good as original the last Timberlake ;)

Thanks. When you say 'new gadget bass', are you referring to the CHICAGO gadget in Gadget? (I don't known them intimately. And with regards to Animoog, are you saying I can run Gadget through Animoog? Or just suggesting Animoog as a alternative option? (Because I opened up Audiobus and I can't seem to use Animoog in the middle column 'EFFECTS').

I speak about "Madrid" for Gadget wich sounds quite live. Animoog would be more for doubling the sound, not necessarily as filter. That might be interesting, but can't be done directly with Gadget only.

• I go with imini from Arturia.

MOOG was used on most of Michaels albums back then. My understanding of the story is Rockwell and Herbie Hancock were cool with Micheal and helped with some melodies for many songs. Off the record of course with him back then. "Somebody Watching Me" came out of those same sessions if the story is true.

Ironically, Herbie Hancock somebody watching me album was my first record I learned to break dance with as well as scratch when I was a kid. I still remember the lime green record cover. Somebody watching me was my 1st 45 I ever bought for my first record player.

Little teared up as I write this.

• @SkillipEvolver said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Use of wave tables, velocity switching, altering envelope settings and mariad of other techniques will get you some groove going in your synth bass. Automation helps too.

!

:) its encouraging to know I can get a last halfway there to recreating the 'real sound' by use of synths. Most ppl seem to agree on that.

---i do in fact have a real bass, but in my experimentation (using MIDI GUITAR 2), although impressive for what it can do, i couldn't find any MIDI sound close to what I'm looking for. (with that app anyway).

I seem to have much better luck using virtual pedals and amps.

I've got a few apps like: AMPLITUBE, AMPKIT+, BIASAMP, BIASFX. But from my tinkering, I I believe that are mostly intended for things like adding reverb, chorus, tremelo, compression.

-i'm familiar with these terms but I have only a basic understanding of what they really do.
    -is it possible to use any of those mentioned apps to get what im after?

I would say, it's ok to get close with synths and learn by it. Then use the synth to put your own stamp on it.

Take a look at WaveMapper. You have 3 Oscillators. Each can use its own wavetable and have complex envelopes. The 3 Oscs can then be mixed into the filter and have another audio input of an unfiltered Osc mixed in at the Amp stage. Obviously noise can be added.
    This gives you four separate sound parts to mix (can be more).

Next use velocity and the X Y positionings to alter aspects of the sound for playing purposes. Wavetables can be used for purpose and separate waves used and the movement between them by altering settings via midi while playing.

WaveMapper is supposed to be going AU, so you could then make lots of different selections to play by velocity switching and pressure sensitive keys via a midi set up or other means suited to the touch screen if you want...or both!

String touches, hammers, slides and other stuff can be emulated to varies degrees, then it's just learning the playing techniques to make it sound good. Some things though are harder to emulate. The sympathetic string resonance and other minute variations are much harder to do without software designed for specific tasks. Using too many velocity switches between sounds may make learning the skills to play harder than learning to play your real bass guitar well.

Remember that the reason most of us don't go to this degree of depth in programming is because of time limitations. To make a good bass sound is easy. To make a great bass sound that demands a level of skill to play is not only time consuming, it demands a deep knowledge of synth technique to achieve.

I hope you do give it a go. I try making complex patches with varying degrees of success. The main problem I have is that my actual playing sucks! Lol

• @RustiK said:

Ironically, Herbie Hancock somebody watching me album was my first record I learned to break dance with as well as scratch when I was a kid. I still remember the lime green record cover. Somebody watching me was my 1st 45 I ever bought for my first record player.

Rockwell sang Somebody Watching Me. Rockit was recorded by Herbie Hancock.

• edited August 2016

@RedSkyLullaby said:
    To me the original sounds like it is a real bass guitar through a filter so I would say ifretless through ape filter or any decent filter

Thanks Red, I recently bought ifretless Bass and I think it sounds really really good. It's a bit of a shame you can't 'double-up' on the no. of instruments playing simulate, (like you can with ifretlessBrass), but as I'm learning... you can route it through different external apps to ad give it more texture.

I'm not too familiar with 'filters'.

Is that a term more related to synthesisers? Or would a virtual guitar amp/pedal be considered a filter? -because I have BiasAmp, Amplitube and BIASFX at my disposal.

Q1) --I'm considering buying ApeFilter but is it necessary if I have my virtual amps and pedals already?

Q2) I tried using Filtatron, but I don't think iFretlessBass -> Filttatron works. ---when I return to iFretlessBass there is no sound when I play. Is this normal?

Q3) I tried routing through to DFX (selected Midi In fom SOURCES -> iFretlessBass √ also but no sound when I then play in iFretlessBass.) Is this normal?

• @SkillipEvolver said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:
    To me the original sounds like it is a real bass guitar through a filter so I would say ifretless through ape filter or any decent filter

Thanks Red, I recently bought ifretless Bass and I think it sounds really really good. It's a bit of a shame you can't 'double-up' on the no. of instruments playing simulate, (like you can with ifretlessBrass), but as I'm learning... you can route it through different external apps to ad give it more texture.

Is that a term more related to synthesisers? Or would a virtual guitar amp/pedal be considered a filter? -because I have BiasAmp, Amplitube and BIASFX at my disposal.

--I'm considering buying ApeFilter but is it necessary if I have my virtual amps and pedals already?

I tried using Filtatron, but I don't think iFretlessBass -> Filttatron works. ---when I return to iFretlessBass there is no sound when I play.

I tried routing through to DFX (selected Midi In fom SOURCES -> iFretlessBass √ also but no sound when I then play in iFretlessBass.)

The great thing about Apefilter is you have lots of control over the frequencies you are filtering out and then you can automate settings. You can put lots of movement into a sound by automating the filter frequencies boosts and cuts in areas of the spectrum.

• Apefilter is one of the greatest tools around in IOS ...
    just watch out not to move your 'gain finger' too careless - it can produce a soundburst shooting your speaker's membranes off the cabinett. (but there's a limiter on board that helps to tame it)
    In Filtatron's main display you must have the line level up (sampler and vco preferably down to get started).
    Mix dial full left is only the raw signal, full right only the filtered sound.

• @SkillipEvolver said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

Q1) --I'm considering buying ApeFilter but is it necessary if I have my virtual amps and pedals already?

Q2) I tried using Filtatron, but I don't think iFretlessBass -> Filttatron works. ---when I return to iFretlessBass there is no sound when I play. Is this normal?

Q3) I tried routing through to DFX (selected Midi In fom SOURCES -> iFretlessBass √ also but no sound when I then play in iFretlessBass.) Is this normal?

Filter is basically EQ so for instance in the bass example in original post it sounds like they turned down the treble/high end EQ in other words they filtered out the higher end of frequency spectrum on that sound and left just the bassy bits of the bass sound

• @Telefunky said:
    In Filtatron's main display you must have the line level up (sampler and vco preferably down to get started).
    Mix dial full left is only the raw signal, full right only the filtered sound.

Thanks!!

• Can anyone throw me a basic tip on how to get my sound effected in APEFILTER?
    I've set up Audiobus and routed my iFretlessBass app to go through APEFILTER but any and all presets that I select in APEFILTER are not having any effect on what I play in iFretlessBass...

Any small help welcome!

• For me, it worked out for the box.
    Maybe set something extrem in apeFilter to check if you get any filter effect?

• tried flicking through extreme filters.
    maybe you could screengrab me some settings pages, like your midi attachments page or something.

• tjatja
    edited September 2017

Make sure all Apps are closed in taskmanager
    Start AudioBus 3
    In Audio Panel, select iFretless Bass as Output (left), tap to start, wait for it returning to AB.
    Select iFretless Bass, select plugged bass, make it louder, hear it's sound.

In middle AB slot, select apeFilter, tap to start, wait for it returning to AB.

Switch to apeFilter select something realy extrem, switch back to iFretless, check if it now sounds do different.

• thanks tja, it must have been late at night and I just simply wasn't observant enough--- i must have been using a very subtle preset in APEFILTER and just got frustrated thinking I couldn't hear a difference!! thanks!

• This app is just perfect for this sound!!

Thanks Doug for the demo. Sounds incredible to me:

• edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for the tips, I'll have to try out your advice.

Ps- what are lala presets?