Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video..Moodscaper Beautiful Ambient Soundscaping for the iPad Version

I think Moodscaper is just a beautiful thing and also developer Rob Jackson is a Pro-Active developer who truly wants Moodscaper to continuously evolve.

Comments

• Very cool app ! Thanks !

• edited August 2016

Yep. One of the musical apps I love best.
    Allow me to share a little hint of practice. I tend to use my own sounds, and, to make the performance less random, make folders with very few sounds, 1-2 for each note in each row (bass, middle, etc). The same for the auxiliary sounds: no more than 10. Of course you have to pay attention to the notes used for each mood, as detailed in the manual, like in the image below

• Great run-through, love this app. Ambience for the masses :+1:

• @zarv said:
    Yep. One of the musical apps I love best.
    Allow me to share a little hint of practice. I tend to use my own sounds, and, to make the performance less random, make folders with very few sounds, 1-2 for each note in each row (bass, middle, etc). The same for the auxiliary sounds: no more than 10. Of course you have to pay attention to the notes used for each mood, as detailed in the manual, like in the image below

Great info

• One of the best apps on iOS - in my humble opinion. I've heard worse ambient albums than that which Moodscaper can do :)

• Very neat app. Even if you can compose your own ambient soundscapes, it's still fun, educational, or inspirational to play this app or see what it comes up with. It's definitely easy to make something that sounds good, and you also have control rather than just sitting back to wait for music to happen. It'd be nice to have some control over key and scale, but I'm not sure how that fits into the design.

• Thanks guys! @lovadamusic - I'm still thrashing out some ideas around keys and scales with MIDI out, so that will definitely be a possibility there. I've also been toying with the idea of chromatic samples under the hood. All the best, -Rob

PS - If anyone's having problems downloading the samples - apologies, it's a Dropbox bandwidth thing. I'm looking at a fix, but in the meantime, if you message me via the website, I'll send you a direct link. Sorry about that.

• A little track put together mainly with Moodscaper with a little GeoShred thrown in, recorded into Cubasis, added a couple of effects and that is all. I hope you like it.

• Wow @PhilW - that's really lovely. OK if I share your track on the moodscaper FB page?

• @moodscaper said:
    Wow @PhilW - that's really lovely. OK if I share your track on the moodscaper FB page?

By all means, glad you like it!

• edited August 2016

As a fan of T. Inoue I could not have love this app. Wonderful
    S***, I'm old...

• @moodscaper Rob, would you give some hint if it is possible to use other scales beyond those in the manual? Gipsy, e.g.

• edited August 2016

@zarv - at the moment, the scales are fixed to the four moods I'm afraid. However, additional scales and keys are planned when I add MIDI out support, which will be the next big v2.0 update. I do have an idea how to support other scales with sample-based content, but that'll have to wait until I've addressed the more popular feature requests, and MIDI out is at the top of that list right now. Hope that sounds OK.

• @moodscsper of course it is. Thank you

• Thanks a lot for the 3 free extra sample sets on your site, after a couple of false starts, and resorting to RTFM, I have them working and they sound great!

• @moodscaper said:
    @zarv - at the moment, the scales are fixed to the four moods I'm afraid. However, additional scales and keys are planned when I add MIDI out support, which will be the next big v2.0 update. I do have an idea how to support other scales with sample-based content, but that'll have to wait until I've addressed the more popular feature requests, and MIDI out is at the top of that list right now. Hope that sounds OK.

midi in too?

• @kobamoto - funnily enough, I don't remember many if any people mentioning MIDI in other than for clocking / sync. Will certainly have a think about that and probably throw it out for more detailed discussion at some point. Should probably try and get a forum going for the app too - at the moment we just use the FB page. (blush)

• @moodscaper said:
    @kobamoto - funnily enough, I don't remember many if any people mentioning MIDI in other than for clocking / sync. Will certainly have a think about that and probably throw it out for more detailed discussion at some point. Should probably try and get a forum going for the app too - at the moment we just use the FB page. (blush)

The FB page is good enough, Rob. And thanks for the new sounds. I'm studying them and I'll try to make mine better than they are now.
    Only, I wonder how the MIDI out will function for an app sample based like this one. Clock only, maybe?

• clock only hope not.... in todays crowded and feature rich landscape the modern i-device sets itself head and shoulders above the competition as a very capable external sound module that is all at once inspiring and gratifying to use in conjunction with ones favorite external hardware midi sequencer..... but only if it has both midi in and out.

• @kobamoto said:
    clock only hope not.... in todays crowded and feature rich landscape the modern i-device sets itself head and shoulders above the competition as a very capable external sound module that is all at once inspiring and gratifying to use in conjunction with ones favorite external hardware midi sequencer..... but only if it has both midi in and out.

Ofc I agree with you. Mine was only a tech curiosity ;)

• edited August 2016

The idea with MIDI out is that you could use the generative features of the app to control external synths, so you could ditch the built-in sounds all together and use the app as an auto-accompaniment type thing with different parts going to different channels / instruments. Adding support for Link kinda goes hand in hand with that as part of a multi-instrument synchronised setup. I should add that this is what I hear from user requests / suggestions.

• :) Devs need as much encouragement as possible. I'd like them to stop thinking of Panning, sample import/export, sample audition, midi in/out, and audio copy paste as features and instead think of them as basic standards that people need to take music making seriously.

• Moodscaper is a unique instrument. I just enjoy playing it and sometimes recording it. It’s as “serious” as the music you make with it. Some of us grew up making music even before there was such a thing as MIDI. ;)

Lovely piece, PhilW.

An advantage of MIDI in/out for me (and many others I’m sure) would be that you could record, edit, and play back Moodscaper performances, as it doesn’t have a sequence editor built in. If it still wants to stick to specific moods and 5-note scales, then I guess the MIDI implementation would have to be designed around those features/limits… more like drum pads than a keyboard?

• edited August 2016

Thank you - I'm really enjoying this app!

• @lovadamusic said:

An advantage of MIDI in/out for me (and many others I’m sure) would be that you could record, edit, and play back Moodscaper performances, as it doesn’t have a sequence editor built in. If it still wants to stick to specific moods and 5-note scales, then I guess the MIDI implementation would have to be designed around those features/limits… more like drum pads than a keyboard?

exactly

• @PhilW said:
    A little track put together mainly with Moodscaper with a little GeoShred thrown in, recorded into Cubasis, added a couple of effects and that is all. I hope you like it.

That sounds great.
    Nice work.

• @moodscaper said:
    The idea with MIDI out is that you could use the generative features of the app to control external synths, so you could ditch the built-in sounds all together and use the app as an auto-accompaniment type thing with different parts going to different channels / instruments. Adding support for Link kinda goes hand in hand with that as part of a multi-instrument synchronised setup. I should add that this is what I hear from user requests / suggestions.

This is interesting. I've tried to do something similar, using AUM, e.g. like here:

• @JeffChasteen said:

@PhilW said:
    A little track put together mainly with Moodscaper with a little GeoShred thrown in, recorded into Cubasis, added a couple of effects and that is all. I hope you like it.

That sounds great.
    Nice work.

Thank you, although I feel that the Moodscaper dev should take at least half the credit!

• Moodscaper paired with Xynthesizr is quite nice as well. They share scale presets, and the generative note "randomizer" option in Xynthesizr keep everything fresh.