Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Use DRC - Polyphonic Synthesiser? Share your love (or hate) here!

Hey,

My name is Nuno and I'm from Imaginando. I decided to create this thread because the long and sweet drc-polyphonic-synthesizer-new-app has vanished. That thread had incredible user feedback and suggestions. It was also a way to be in touch with DRC users! :blush:

Before a new thread is created and vanishes again, I decided to start this one so I can (again) be in touch with DRC users.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Hi all,

Just chiming in to explain why the old thread has disappeared:

Some users got angry at each other and one of them decided to leave the forum and asked me to delete his account alongside with his posts. The original DRC thread was started by him and therefore it was deleted with his other posts.

In the future I'm not going to delete anyone's posts anymore, even if they ask me to.

Terribly sorry,

Sebastian

• Hey Nuno. maybe you could contact @Sebastian to see if your thread could be restored ?

• One thing I've noticed. The first section of the synth you would normally click on, the oscillator section, has tabs for oscillator 1, 2, and sub parameters. However, the levels for each are strangely not adjustable from there. They are in the mixer tab. The first time I used it, I got my oscillator 1 the way I liked it in the first tab and then switched over to oscillator 2 tab only to hear no changes because I had not yet raised the level of oscillator 2 in the mixer tab. I'm fine with it now, but it seems an odd design choice. Still a great synth.

• Nathan is our Newman.

• edited July 2016

Well, I'll say that I love the sounds I get from DRC. Nothing else quite like it.
    However, I do notice that it is the Synth Most Likely™ to go haywire in Modstep: Frequently its sounds appear in other tracks, or it plays ghost notes even when its clips are off and its tracks are muted. This happens whether DRC is hosted in AUM, say, or as an app directly in Modstep. I do remember others with similar complaints suggested that it may be cured by opening DRC first?
    In the DRC midi section, there seems to be no way to assign anything? It's just a list of all midi available? Or perhaps I'm missing something...

I also do wish it had a transport bar. I also vote for opening with the last preset used.

STILL, all this kvetching can't change the fact that I love its sonic versatility and use it daily.

• I bought it at the full whack and consider it a great buy. Really appreciate complex things that are simple.

• @db909 said:
    One thing I've noticed. The first section of the synth you would normally click on, the oscillator section, has tabs for oscillator 1, 2, and sub parameters. However, the levels for each are strangely not adjustable from there. They are in the mixer tab. The first time I used it, I got my oscillator 1 the way I liked it in the first tab and then switched over to oscillator 2 tab only to hear no changes because I had not yet raised the level of oscillator 2 in the mixer tab. I'm fine with it now, but it seems an odd design choice. Still a great synth.

We decided to have a mixer tab, together with the effects so you can adjust the mix on just one place. It was a design decision.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Well, I'll say that I love the sounds I get from DRC. Nothing else quite like it.
    However, I do notice that it is the Synth Most Likely™ to go haywire in Modstep: Frequently its sounds appear in other tracks, or it plays ghost notes even when its clips are off and its tracks are muted. This happens whether DRC is hosted in AUM, say, or as an app directly in Modstep. I do remember others with similar complaints suggested that it may be cured by opening DRC first?
    In the DRC midi section, there seems to be no way to assign anything? It's just a list of all midi available? Or perhaps I'm missing something...

I also do wish it had a transport bar. I also vote for opening with the last preset used.

STILL, all this kvetching can't change the fact that I love its sonic versatility and use it daily.

Yeah, there have been reports of problems with Modstep. I couldn't reproduce them so far but I don't use Modstep extensively.

What do you want to do with MIDI that you currently not able to?

Last preset used will be available on next update.

What do you mean with transport bar?

• @sinosoidal said:

Good to hear.

• @sinosoidal said:

Yeah, there have been reports of problems with Modstep. I couldn't reproduce them so far but I don't use Modstep extensively.

What do you want to do with MIDI that you currently not able to?

I just want to write some music sketches and modstep with DRC. Many synths will glitch a bit in mod step, but DRC frequently disobeys..

Excellent news! When?

What do you mean with transport bar?

When using DRC as in IAA in modstep or AUM, there's no IAA transport bar as you find in many synth apps. (Animoog doesn't have it. Most do.)

It enables fast switching between the apps without having to quit out and go to the main iPad screen.

• I wish this synth lived inside Korg Gadget!

• Love the character of sound you can get out of DRC. Would love to see an intelligent patch randomizer of some kind

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    Love the character of sound you can get out of DRC. Would love to see an intelligent patch randomizer of some kind

+1

• edited July 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:
    Love the character of sound you can get out of DRC. Would love to see an intelligent patch randomizer of some kind

+1

+1

It's a bit of a rascal where IAA midi is concerned, in hosts like Cubasis, Modstep, TNRe, when running DRC alongside other IAA instruments, things tend to glitch up...wish I could put it better. Maybe something to do with DRC midi outs somehow coming into play when they ought not. This glitchy business happens to me only when other instruments are in play. Air 2 current OS.

Even with these happenings, I haven't given up on using the synth, far from it, it's way too cool and inspiring to leave alone

• @Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

+1

+1

It's a bit of a rascal where IAA midi is concerned, in hosts like Cubasis, Modstep, TNRe, when running DRC alongside other IAA instruments, things tend to glitch up...wish I could put it better. Maybe something to do with DRC midi outs somehow coming into play when they ought not. This glitchy business happens to me only when other instruments are in play. Air 2 current OS.

Even with these happenings, I haven't given up on using the synth, far from it, it's way too cool and inspiring to leave alone

Yes, good word, inspiring. Beyond technical capabilities/necessities I think most of us are looking for apps that propel the juice forward...this one does.

• I love it because it sounds great. I mean, really great -- I think it's one of the very best-sounding apps on iOS. This, iVCS3, and Model 15 are probably my top three as far as sounding really great.

I wish there were even more presets because I'm too technostupid to make any that sound good.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

+1

+1 on the preset randomizer.

Great synth. Anything else you guys do will be an instabuy.

• Yes very smooth synth, I really like it

• This is a beauty of an app I've enjoyed lately.
    It really reminds me of my Volca Keys
    Analog sounds absolutely unique in IOS

• I'd like to see the online manual work it's way into the app, because while the synth is not all that complicated, the manual is well written and it would be nice to have it offline and in the app itself.

• @1P18 said:
    I'd like to see the online manual work it's way into the app, because while the synth is not all that complicated, the manual is well written and it would be nice to have it offline and in the app itself.

+1
    I second the manual being added to the app.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@RedSkyLullaby said:

+1

+1

This might be a lead. I need more information. Can other people use this as a lead an try to find a pattern? Maybe I have something that is not correctly implemented regarding inter app audio midi. What kind of glitch?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@1P18 said:
    I'd like to see the online manual work it's way into the app, because while the synth is not all that complicated, the manual is well written and it would be nice to have it offline and in the app itself.

+1

The manual is online to avoid duplicated versions and errors. We tend to be online 90% of the time nowadays.

• @sinosoidal said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@1P18 said:

+1

The manual is online to avoid duplicated versions and errors. We tend to be online 90% of the time nowadays.

I live in India. It's monsoon here. My net is usually down 60% of the time during june - august. So no. Not everyone is online 90% of the time. I understand your reasons for keeping the manual just online but please don't make blanket statements like that. This is an international forum. Not everyone lives in the first world lol.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@sinosoidal said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@1P18 said:

+1

I live in India. It's monsoon here. My net is usually down 60% of the time during june - august. So no. Not everyone is online 90% of the time. I understand your reasons for keeping the manual just online but please don't make blanket statements like that. This is an international forum. Not everyone lives in the first world lol.

thanks for sharing your thoughts and point of view. I live in Portugal. I can't complain about internet here. :blush:
    It is nice to see our apps being used worldwide by the way.

I will try to find a way of having a shared version of the manual contents, offline, into the app. It is hard to manage content, specially when there is only on person to manage everything. So you can understand, this was an option based on the limited available human resources.

• @sinosoidal said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@sinosoidal said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@1P18 said:

+1

thanks for sharing your thoughts and point of view. I live in Portugal. I can't complain about internet here. :blush:
    It is nice to see our apps being used worldwide by the way.

I will try to find a way of having a shared version of the manual contents, offline, into the app. It is hard to manage content, specially when there is only on person to manage everything. So you can understand, this was an option based on the limited available human resources.

To be fair. Even if it's just occasionally updated it's fine. It's just useful to have access to an offline manual when the nets dead for hours. It doesn't really have to be inapp. Maybe link to a downloadable PDF inapp ( we could save the updated version to iBooks whenever net is up.)

• I quite like having manuals in iBooks. The difficulty arises when version control is not adhered to or disregarded, when documentation is one of the single most important things about a product — documentation that doesn’t match what the user sees is quite damaging. Version control of documentation can be managed more readily these days on github, where everyone can access it whenever they’re online (which is not a guaranteed state, not just for geographic differences, but also mobile state — if I’m on the tube in London and the train is underground between stations (as it is most of a journey) I’m offline too, or if the battery goes low and the radios shut off, anyone is offline).

It would be quite nifty (all round) if there were a way that an app could check with iBooks to see if a document that it knows for sure is the manual to that app is as up to date as it could be, and if not, alert or initiate an action. Can one separate app like a synthesiser interrogate iBooks and look for a specific document and check metadata on it?

• The strength of the manual is in it's description of basic elements, so even if an in app manual were not comprehensive it would be useful.

Also, not having to turn on Wi-Fi, open Safari, switch back to DRC, etc. is probably a lot bigger deal that it may appear, especially if you're trying to use DRC with a bunch of other apps open already.

• Wouldn't it be possible to 'sync' the manual for off-line use and use the iOS Web-View to show it when the network is not available? For me personally DRC is pretty close to hardware (one 'knob' per function) and as such the manual is not needed that often.

• I understand all your points of view. They all make sense.

During the app design process we try to make things as simple, clearly and intuitive as possible in order to avoid instructions, never less we made a manual for each product.

DRC manual is also a great synth introduction so it made a lot of sense to be online. Everything we make available in a app takes a lot of time and unfortunately "we" is still one person to handle three apps (TKFX, LK and now DRC). I will try to respond to this challenge when possible.

I think you guys prefer to have new features and bug fixes! :blush: