Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DAW for tracking that can Link or IAA Sync

Hey, looking for a recommendation for the following purpose:

I've been tracking an album for mine and my wife's ethno-music project 'Udagan' using an iConnect Audio 4+ with Ableton Live's arranger mode, for it's Link abilities. As a result of the UK referendum we're imminently going to be moving to Dublin, and will be taking a minimal amount of possessions with us. I'll definitely not be bringing a desktop PC and can't afford to buy a new laptop to take it's place.

I have Multitrack DAW and I heard that it will be getting updated with Link in the future. In that case, this may be the perfect candidate, but I'd also like to consider other options.

Our music is performed live using iPads, so most of the effects and processing are already present. What little is left can be done in mixing and mastering stages, which will be done in Pro-Tools by different professional. I'm more into live iOS performance than emulating a studio environment in general, so I only need something that's capable of tracking, that's synch-able by whichever means necessary (I use AUM so IAA Sync is also viable) and that I can make basic edits in. I guess what I really want is an 'Arranger mode' for AUM ;)

Are there any currently available options out there, or am I waiting on an update for something?

Thanks and all the best,
Oscar

Comments

• you can record in AUM to, and have link... the cut all recordings in any DAW ?
    or maybe iam not understanding exactly what you want

• @Hansson said:
    you can record in AUM to, and have link... the cut all recordings in any DAW ?
    or maybe iam not understanding exactly what you want

I'm looking for an Ableton Live 'Arrange Mode' style timeline that I can sync to Link's clock for tracking and basic editing.

• hmm you could use Launchpad and LP5 for clip launching, and route the outputs to AUM or a Daw for recording.
    and you can record the loops in AUM and import them to either Launchpad och LP5

• edited July 2016

@Hansson said:
    hmm you could use Launchpad and LP5 for clip launching, and route the outputs to AUM or a Daw for recording.
    and you can record the loops in AUM and import them to either Launchpad och LP5

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. It's not the clip launching capacity of Ableton that I'm using however, but the ability to track audio while using Link as a global sync/count in, so that things can be performed in time with previously tracked audio (I'm tracking the entire album as one 40 minute 'track' and I'll be moving my half complete Ableton Live arrangement over as stems).

I had a quick read of the specs for Auria and Cubasis and neither seems to support Link yet, but I think that IAA Sync could do the same job in combination with AUM if anything supports that. Possibly best just to see if Multitrack DAW updates anytime soon with Link.

• Just use Link to MIDI sync?

• edited July 2016

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Just use Link to MIDI sync?

I use this already (in fact MIDI Link Sync, which is more fully featured) to send tempo to various performance apps, so it'd be easy to incorporate. Do you have any insight onto which DAW apps play best with MIDI Sync?

• This is a bit off the wall, but...
    I recently picked up a very inexpensive Windows 10 tablet just to have around for those rare cases where iOS doesn't cut it. The thing cost less than $100, but surprisingly is able to do a passable job running FL Studio. Sure it bogs down under heavy projects, but holds up surprisingly well for casual stuff. If you say the Live workload is light, I wonder if you. I got be able to run Live in limited situations on one.

The Tablet has a USB port and SD card slot. Windows 10 has pretty good options for redirecting Document storage and Program installations to the SD card, so the limited internal storage isn't a problem.

Just a thought. If you can buy one somewhere that accepts returns, maybe it's worth a try so that you can continue using Live?

• edited July 2016

@wim said:
    This is a bit off the wall, but...
    I recently picked up a very inexpensive Windows 10 tablet just to have around for those rare cases where iOS doesn't cut it. The thing cost less than $100, but surprisingly is able to do a passable job running FL Studio. Sure it bogs down under heavy projects, but holds up surprisingly well for casual stuff. If you say the Live workload is light, I wonder if you. I got be able to run Live in limited situations on one.

The Tablet has a USB port and SD card slot. Windows 10 has pretty good options for redirecting Document storage and Program installations to the SD card, so the limited internal storage isn't a problem.

Just a thought. If you can buy one somewhere that accepts returns, maybe it's worth a try so that you can continue using Live?

Interesting! If it can connect with iConnectivity Hardware and receive audio from iOS through it (which I assume is possible, given that my W10 desktop does) then it could be a perfect option. I don't use any effects at all inside Live, literally just use it to track audio onto, so I'm sure that it could handle the workload.
    Thanks for a good left field suggestion.

• My only concern would be if it didn't have the audio processing power to handle the incoming audio. Mine works OK for normal DAW stuff, but I haven't tried tracking with it. On the other hand, it is a super low-end tablet so probably a pretty safe bet that you can find something that will hold up.