Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The new Gadget Insert Effects

I think these are a great addition to the mighty Gadget.

I was using the compressor and Eq prior to this new update, but these ones add a whole lot more. For those unaware, Gadget's automation really comes in to it's own with these FX, making them really flexible. Personally, I think the inclusion of these insert effects is as least as interesting as the new Gadgets.

TIP:

The order of the effects can be changed by pressing 'ifx', then 'function' and then you will see up / down icons, which you can use to re-order the effects. Very handy for having a delayed phaser, as opposed to a phased delay etc. You can't do this in Cubasis or Auria (as far as I know)

Anyone else have any thoughts on these ?

Comments

• @Igneous1 said:

I was using the compressor and Eq prior to this new update, but these ones add a whole lot more. For those unaware, Gadget's automation really comes in to it's own with these FX, making them really flexible. Personally, I think the inclusion of these insert effects is as least as interesting as the new Gadgets.

TIP:

The order of the effects can be changed by pressing 'ifx', then 'function' and then you will see up / down icons, which you can use to re-order the effects. Very handy for having a delayed phaser, as opposed to a phased delay etc. You can't do this in Cubasis or Auria (as far as I know)

I agree. The new FX are the big story in this update IMO.

That tip is also really useful, thanks. I wasn't aware you can reorder - but really pleased to learn that you can.

I just wish that you could midi-learn these effect knobs.

• @Igneous1 said:

TIP:

Great tip. One of those: If you didn't know about it what else could you do but wait for some random Japanese gif to turn up on Korg's twitter feed in two years time?

Thanks much.

• Good tip about the changing the effects order. Was wondering if that would be possible.

The new Insert effects are a big deal, sound good too. Much possibilities by combining the effects inside the selected gadget with the IFX. You can go crazy by using more than one phaser for instance.

• It'd be cool if the fx could be bussed, i.e. send a wet reverb into a delay etc.

• @ion677 said:
    It'd be cool if the fx could be bussed, i.e. send a wet reverb into a delay etc.

You can "kind of" do this when using the Gadgets that allow their own instrument-specific effects. Run the wet reverb on the instrument and the delay as an insert on the channel. It's not ideal, and you'd be sending an awful lot of "stuff" into that delay, but in theory it would work. Ideally Korg will one day see the greater potential of gadget that we do, and will gift us with a proper mixer full of aux channels, VCA's, and insert effects on the master. And hopefully a new reverb that doesn't sound like you're in the world's largest paint bucket. Seriously, the reverb in gadget is very, very bad. :/

• I actually think for the amount of CPU it uses it is very decent. Lacks a pre-delay setting but its more than fine.

• @o_imseng said:
    I actually think for the amount of CPU it uses it is very decent. Lacks a pre-delay setting but its more than fine.

Fair point regarding CPU usage. And I just realized that the insert effect "reverb" does indeed sound far better than the instrument-specific effect "hall reverb." That is the one that sounds like the tin man. Maybe the dream should be to have something similar to Auria in that there are options; convolution and algorithmic; CPU friendly and less CPU friendly. I realize I am splitting hairs over a $30 app, but as a viable songwriting / production tool, Gadget has a lot of potential.

• @brice said:

@o_imseng said:
    I actually think for the amount of CPU it uses it is very decent. Lacks a pre-delay setting but its more than fine.

Fair point regarding CPU usage. And I just realized that the insert effect "reverb" does indeed sound far better than the instrument-specific effect "hall reverb." That is the one that sounds like the tin man. Maybe the dream should be to have something similar to Auria in that there are options; convolution and algorithmic; CPU friendly and less CPU friendly. I realize I am splitting hairs over a $30 app, but as a viable songwriting / production tool, Gadget has a lot of potential.

The new insert reverb has a pre-delay too.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@brice said:

@o_imseng said:

It does? Where does this setting exist?

• @brice said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@brice said:

@o_imseng said:

Sorry. My mistake! It's pre-EQ.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@brice said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@brice said:

@o_imseng said:

Sorry. My mistake! It's pre-EQ.

Dammit! You had me up, then tore me right back down! :)

Only kidding. And I am thankful for that pre-EQ. Makes up for the missing pre-delay. Almost.

• Yeah the pre-EQ is nice, would have been ashamed to not be able to get rid of the lowend rumble with reverb as an insert. But still pre-Delay would have been ace.