Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis for Ipad launched

Steinberg have launched Cubasis for Ipad.

Seems like this will make life interesting!

Sebastian - do they have the sdk?... If not stick it in the post to them please :-)

Comments

• Hmmmn - interesting post on their forum

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=30890

According to my translater this is

Audio Bus we have on our Feature Request list is pretty top

Could all my christmas's have come at once?

• Yes after learning about its release this morning, I tweeted alot to SteinberMedia and opened this forum post you have linked. They confirmed its pretty much in the top ranks. Everything else has to wait now. I guess they will be in contact with Sebastian pretty soon :)

• If this launches with Audiobus I might even consider switching my main daw from Logic Pro to Cubase 7 again :)

• Has anyone tried it out?

• I did. I like it.

• It looks similar to Beatmaker 2 to me. Is that a fair comparison?

• edited December 2012

Sebastian... Tell, please... Are they near review?

Doesn't look like what you'd call a smooth experience. Even the promo vid, the tracks screen response looks choppy.

I think Steinberg might just have found themselves a day late and a dollar short, here.

W/ Audiobus and friends in the hizzy, I might just spend my $50 elsewhere!

• Lets just wait. Apple Review's is closing up in a couple of days. My bet is we are going to see another small wave of Audiobus compatible app's and updates :)

• I couldn't resist, but I'm not disappointed. I see this app going a long way. Nice features, great sounds, smooth workflow. The UI is really good. A few minor updates and this one gets 5 stars. I agree that it's a bit pricey, but has a long future in my arsenal of apps. Will be using this one a lot. Hoping for them to get on the Bus soon though.

• I might have considered this app but it does not even support my Cubase 5 pc daw which I paid $300.00 only 3 yrs. ago. I asked them about it and they deemed me unworthy to reply to. Guess they don't want my business and that is fine with me. $50.00 was way too much for it anyway.

• According to there website there is a downloadable program available for converting pc cubase files for use in cubasis.

• Cubasis does not support anything older than cubase 6.5. It says so in their app description. Furthermore, the extension program is required anyone with cubase 6.5 and higher to transfer cubasis files to their pc. Like I stated previously, it is too expensive and they don't seem to care about keeping their older customers. Plenty of other daws in the app store that are just fine and alot cheaper.

• Well but currently Cubasis is the only cross OS integrated DAW solution and thus highly interesting for semi-pros. Lets see how quickly they bring on more features (Automation).

• I'm a pro producer and am extremely underwhelmed by Cubasis. I got the Steinberg product manager to post the manual over on Gearslutz and the feature set is very poor in comparison to the competition - especially at the inflated asking price.

http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Apps/Cubasis/Cubasis.pdf

As I pro producer I'm not looking for a cross platform solution just a simple way to export the relevant midi and wav files over to my desktop DAW for final mixing and mastering. For this purpose Beatmaker 2 seems to be a far better solution especially seeing as you can access all of your project files via FTP. Auria looks less promising in this regard as it relies on a problematic supposedly 'platform neutral' solution to export projects (AAF). AAF projects work best with Pro Tools but are problematic for most other DAW's. Hopefully the makers of Auia will offer other export options in the future.

jm

http://soundcloud.com/leftside-wobble

• @Oliver:well,i would call mysell at least a semi-pro but the lack of automation or even a proper EQ (Bass and treble?Seriously?)makes this app currently(!)quite useless for me.Not to mention the price...it plays in a league a little above garbageband (because of the Midi features) and therefore it should not cost more then 15 Bucks imo.Funny to see that the big players often think:big name=big price.And it seems to work,look at Korg...

But this app has a lot of potential,so i'll keep an eye on it.I love the look,very familiar to me.I would like to have it just for the tool box (scissor,pencil,glue...).i'm used to work with it for 20 years now :)

But meanwhile Auria or beatmaker will not stop their development and what will apple do?

• While i do get your point. Lets not forget its running Cubase under the hood. You all assume that this feature set is all that Cubasis sees.

Surely not :) it was just the initial release. Consumers have forgotten that software development is hard work and with that always a matter of choices and compromises for the product managers.

I am a LogicPro user and well Steinberg is the only big player to deliver. For what you want to achieve low and high cut eq is sufficient enough for a first release.

For what i have seen on youtube there is at least a basic way of timestretching loaded material allthough the manual says nothing about it.

And to be fair, yes the Intua Chop Lab and Timestretching functions are there in BM2 but they are nowhere near the quality id expect for pro software. They are improving this or have in updates but it wasnt just there out of the box.

• You dont know what i want to achieve but i can tell you that a 2-Band eq is NOT enough for that ;-)

And no,i don't forget the hard work under the hood.I know its version 1.So is Auria or not?
    I mean they promote it with"a new world of recording"...doesnt sound like a toy to me,they clearly adresses the (semi)pro market.Even a version 1 should be equipped with better effects then.Imo.

Well,lets wait for the first in App purchases,i'm sure they will bring us a Pro-Eq :)

Don't get me wrong,i really want to like this app (i was working almost 15 years with cubase/nuendo before i switched to Logic)but currently it just offers nothing that i can't have in auria or BM in better.But competition is always good,i'm really looking forward to next year.Exciting times.

• Oliver, the funny thing is that Genome reminds me far more of early iterations of Cubase (before it became Cubase Audio), in the manner that it's concentrating on a really solid midi spec. Unfortunately because Genome doesn't have any audio facilities it can't really be compared to Cubasis. The better IOS Synths such as Magellan or Animoog really come alive when they're modulated through control messages. If only Cubasis had this feature I would have purchased it already. But Cubasis has no real automation for its own instruments & fx, let alone the automation of control messages. You don't require a huge amount of processor grunt to provide CC automation (those ancient Atari St's coped with it very nicely indeed) so there's no real excuse.

The whole exercise looks and feels like a cash-in to me. Steinberg are trading on the Cubase name to charge an inflated price for an inferior product.

In saying all that if they provide a solid midi clock so that I can record all my Audiobus recording sessions in perfect sync that will be worth the price of entry alone.

• @jon agree mostly. I believe they will quickly update. Yes Genome sounds like its quite a tool. I just believe this introduction with the former used brandname at this poitn and with this price is only a stripped down version of what cubasis is capable because they ran out of time.

• @oliverImseng:

"they ran out of time"

Yeah, it sucks that the end of the world is coming. Hard times for devs...

;-)

• Not really ;) I work on the business side of Software Development. There is so much that you want to do and sometimes you have to sacrifice a lot to get an initial release out to not miss the go to market. Its about more than just features. :)

• Yep, I understand, but in this case, I don't see what they would have missed. No Audiobus inside, so it can't be the Audiobus launch. Really don't see...

Talking about the go to market. With such a poor feature set one can ask himself if they really aimed at the right market, with the right product.
    I just can't think of only one thing that I can't already do (better) with whatever DAW already available for iOS (Meteor, Beatmaker2, Music Studio, etc...)

I am normally quite a compulsive app buyer but this time I'll pass. There is just too less for the money and I'm not gonna bet on future updates just it has a Cubase branding...

Come on Steinberg, be serious!

• I'm pretty sure they sell a lot of it just because of the"Cubase"brand.Not all buyer are going to search the net for infos before they do a purchase.It's already in the top ten of best selling apps...which is a good thing.With every sold app grows the responsibility to to push it further :)

• Check there website, steinberg.net. I'm hearing some good things about their near future updates.

• @mgmg4871

The only comment I've seen with regard to future updates is on the Cubasis forum over at Steinberg and is from a Product Marketing Manager. And he made this comment in response to criticism's of Steinbergs previous IOS apps lack of updates. It's a very bad sign when a company puts forward a marketing representative to respond to users on public forums. Their responsibility is to shift as many products as possible and they'll say whatever they think is needed to do this.

I'm not making this statement because I'm anti Steinberg (I'm a huge fan of Cubase 6.5 and can't wait to upgrade to 7 once they've iron out a few of the kinks) but I've experienced many empty promises from Steinberg in the past and I'd rather see the evidence first.

jm

http://soundcloud.com/leftside-wobble

• Then do as i do. Sit back, enjoy making music and wait :)

• Here's some good news from the Steinberg forums:

"Hello guys,

We are working already on the next update which will be available mid of February. Besides AudioBus support it will include many fixes for user reported problems and some extra features.
    We have a very strict QA process because we don't want to release buggy stuff for you to have a robust app."

• Yep, just a few weeks to wait now. I do agree that it's a poor show releasing a clearly unfinished app, but the potential is clearly there. It does offer currently a very half-arsed virtual MIDI function that is mostly confusing and just doesn't perform well enough, but once Steinberg gets on the Audiobus that app will become a no-brainer. I don't think 35 quid is too high considering what the app will become but right now it is an expensive icon on my iPad. The two tunes I have made inside it with the included Halion style instruments are not ever going to be bounced but as a DAW it functions (almost) as expected.

• I read that the FXs are quite bad. Will they fix that too?