Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sample accurate editing

edited April 2016 in General App Discussion

Hi everyone, been lurking for ages, but since I haven't found an answer to my specific problem, I started this thread.

Here's my deal: I use the ipad as a musical sketchpad. I lost my home studio for reasons irrelevant, and needed a portable thing to scratch my music making itch.
I mostly do electronic dance music, so lots of precise editing involved. Thing is, precise editing in iOS is a pain, no matter what people say. I would be a masochist to use an iPad as my production machine, although as a musical sketchpad, it can’t be beaten.

Anyway, case in point: I do a lot of jamming for samples using the wonderful synths available. I record stuff in audioshare, and my timing is pretty good (if I say so myself), but there’s still need for sample editing, mainly loop cutting, and straightening up the tempo so I can end up with flawless loops. I would love something like ableton live's loop editing where you can just drag the transient to the beat, and have it play straight.

I'm not even asking that much (I know there isn't such a tool available for iOS), but is there an app(s) that will allow me to:

• slice samples with sample accurate timing? I mean 100% zoom, so I can see individual samples, or at least close to that.
  • nudge tempo by sections (say, my last beat lagged a little, I just want to stretch that section to grid, like in ableton live). Ideally something that would detect transients, set markers to that, but allowed stretching those beats to a grid.

I have lots of apps (don't we all?), namely auria, that I'm convincing myself to upgrade, since I have auria LE upgraded to pro, but not to auria 2. Does it allow me to do what I said? I haven't used it much as it is, as you can see.

Is loopy an option? I’ve owned it for ages, but again I admit I haven’t given it much use, I'm surely that is my own fault.

Thanks in advance, and let me just state: I love this community, and the guys that made it possible.

Cheers!

Comments

• Check out Blocs wave

This will allow you to

• record via microphone/line in or Aubdiobus
    • Select loop points
    • Time stretch
    • Pitch shift
    • It has a 'slip' function which allows you to move a sample within the loop points to line up a transient on the bar for example
    • It has Link support for running alongside other apps
    • There is a slicer for it on the way.
  • Yeah but the slip function does not snap to transients. At least not as of now @Launchpadforios

• Auria Pro has a really good slicing and transient capability.

• I was thinking the same(and that's actually the reason I stated elsewhere I want to learn coding). Auria could do all of that but I think it is some kind of overkill for sample editing, and really not aimed at that kind of jobs for the sake of its own interface which is pointing much more at tracking(for examples to is not so easy to bounce layered samples through subs/bus since it still has some issues recording/bouncing onto empty tracks, or the subs can't even be recarmed)

• @o_imseng said:
    Yeah but the slip function does not snap to transients. At least not as of now @Launchpadforios

Auria Pro has a really good slicing and transient capability.

You are correct Blocs wave does not snap to transients but they are developing it all the time with regular updates bringing new functionality, they are massively responsive to user requests, so if we ask for snapping transient to a beat, the chances are we will get it.

One more thing, it only costs £3.99 :)

• Thanks for your reply. I've purchased and tried blocs wave last night (seeing here's recommendation), and although it's a cool app with much potential, that I'm sure I'll be using, it seems to require already cut loops. I tried importing one of my "uncut" loops, and it didn't allow me to set the start of the loop to the beat, as I had some audio before the first beat. It assumed my audio started at the beat, but maybe I'm missing something?

• @pedro said:
    Thanks for your reply. I've purchased and tried blocs wave last night (seeing here's recommendation), and although it's a cool app with much potential, that I'm sure I'll be using, it seems to require already cut loops. I tried importing one of my "uncut" loops, and it didn't allow me to set the start of the loop to the beat, as I had some audio before the first beat. It assumed my audio started at the beat, but maybe I'm missing something?

Once you have loaded your loop, goto edit, then select and hold slip (bottom left), while holding slip drag your waveform left/right

• @AndyPlankton said:

@pedro said:
    Thanks for your reply. I've purchased and tried blocs wave last night (seeing here's recommendation), and although it's a cool app with much potential, that I'm sure I'll be using, it seems to require already cut loops. I tried importing one of my "uncut" loops, and it didn't allow me to set the start of the loop to the beat, as I had some audio before the first beat. It assumed my audio started at the beat, but maybe I'm missing something?

Once you have loaded your loop, goto edit, then select and hold slip (bottom left), while holding slip drag your waveform left/right

But it will have some issues setting the tempo/lenght

• @mschenkel.it said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@pedro said:

But it will have some issues setting the tempo/lenght

As long as you specify the original tempo when importing (or change it to the original tempo using attributes from within edit) then the playback speed will be correct as per the selected tempo in Wave, you can then use the edit window to set the loop markers for the correct length (assuming you have too much length as opposed to not enough (you cannot add what isn't there))

• edited April 2016

Woah, you guys really reply fast :) Sorry If I didn't seem to reply to the correct person. Thanks for the recommendations so far.

@AndyPlankton About the tempo in blocs wave, how am I gonna know the exact tempo anyway? I mean, I would if the sample was already precisely cut to beats, which it isn't...

About auria pro being really good at this, ok, I'll pay for it, but it really is overkill (I'm sure I'll have other uses for it, though).

Let me rephrase my question: if I only care for easy sample accurate editing, where could I go? Audioshare with more than one "zoom" per sample would be my dream...

• @AndyPlankton said:

@o_imseng said:
    Yeah but the slip function does not snap to transients. At least not as of now @Launchpadforios

Auria Pro has a really good slicing and transient capability.

You are correct Blocs wave does not snap to transients but they are developing it all the time with regular updates bringing new functionality, they are massively responsive to user requests, so if we ask for snapping transient to a beat, the chances are we will get it.

One more thing, it only costs £3.99 :)

I have Blocs and am using it extensively. I am sure it will get that now that the Pitch and Time Stretching Engine is working as it does in Realtime.

• @pedro on iOS there is not much you can do about that in my opinion. You are probably much faster doing this on the deskopt with Live.

• @pedro said:

@AndyPlankton About the tempo in blocs wave, how am I gonna know the exact tempo anyway? I mean, I would if the sample was already precisely cut to beats, which it isn't...

In your OP you stated that your timing was pretty good. Are you playing along to something ? If so then the tempo of what you are playing along to ?
    OR you could use tap tempo by tapping along to your recorded loop ? (I've never had much success with this)

• edited April 2016

@o_imseng bummer... was really hoping for some iOS option. I mean, it's not rocket science, why can't someone make a simple accurate sample editor? I'm not even asking for a proper sampler (which I know there isn't, anyway). How can I take iOS seriously as a production machine? /rant

@AndyPlankton I'm a drummer, so accurate timing is built in. I ususally jam on synths without regards for tempo (no metronome), so I can take advantage of the keyboards (like in animoog) for crazy portamento, and I do like to play with a lot of swing (so, quantizing would defeat the purpose). But I do occasionally skip a sample, so, I'm not 100% accurate, only like 99.9% (modesty is another one of my virtues). Tap tempo gives me an idea of the tempo, but nowhere near as accurate as I want it to be. Even if I precisely determine the tempo elsewhere (like on a desktop daw or wave editor), just inputting it with one decimal in another DAW won't guarantee precision.

• @pedro Audioshare comes pretty close to what you are looking for minus a easy way of quantizing audio quickly.
    But you are right in that regard that this is currently not as easy to do as it is on the desktop counterparts at this moment.
    It'll come I'm sure, just needs time.

• Look at Twisted Wave for precise sample editing.

• Since it came up, quick question on Blocs.... In the slip mode, can you move the loop segment around freely while it plays, without snapping to any particular boundaries. And does it play smoothly without glitching or popping while doing so?

• edited April 2016

@o_imseng I love audioshare, perhaps my most used app, and anything by kymatica (aum is brilliant, any app from Jonatan Liljedahl is a work of love, and it shows, instabuy, really), but how can I use it for precise sample editing? It just zooms in once (although it makes some magical snap to zero thing, perhaps, because it delivers, it's just the OCD in me that wants to double check).

@yaknepper I admit I haven't checked that although I've heard some good words about it. You mean I can use it to go down on the sample I want to cut the audio on? Just making sure before I take the plunge. I'm bakrupt already, so what's the loss?

• @yaknepper said:
    Look at Twisted Wave for precise sample editing.

TwistedWave works fine for the most of the time but it's 'ruined' by an automatic 'snap to zero' feature that can not currently be tuned off making 100% sample accurate editing impossible :(

Maybe if more people request the option to disable the 'snap to zero' we might get this implemented in a future version of TwistedWave.

• @samu the snap to zero thing isn't such a problem, if I can get it to really zoom in of the waveform. I just want it to sound good, and sometimes I trust my eyes more than my ears (not in good monitoring conditions atm). I guess that's an app I haven't bought, and maybe I should (yeah, thanks a lot guys, like I needed to spend more $)

• @pedro said:
    @samu the snap to zero thing isn't such a problem, if I can get it to really zoom in of the waveform. I just want it to sound good, and sometimes I trust my eyes more than my ears (not in good monitoring conditions atm). I guess that's an app I haven't bought, and maybe I should (yeah, thanks a lot guys, like I needed to spend more $)

To be honest I'm doing most of my audio-recording and sample-editing using Cubasis.
    (Hopefully Cubasis will get Time-Stretching soon).

It took a while to figure out how to do sample-accurate editing in Cubasis though...

The accuracy in Cubasis is controlled by the time-line indicator with either 'time' or 'bars/beats'.
    When 'time' is selected the sample editing is 'sample-accurate'. With bars/beats it snaps to 1/192th note even when the gird is disabled.

I've spent way, way too much $ on 'app hunting' so I could be classified as an Appoholic :D

• Oh, I tried cubasis, but it would't zoom in enough (I thought). Thanks for letting me know of that trick, I'll try it later after work.

• I like TW for vastly zoomed cutting.

• @pedro said:
    Oh, I tried cubasis, but it would't zoom in enough (I thought). Thanks for letting me know of that trick, I'll try it later after work.

It zooms enough if you double-tap the audio-event in Cubasis to open it in the editor :)

The shortest 'total selection' you can make is 10 samples or so and I think this 'limit' is there to allow fade in/out to work properly.

• edited April 2016

@samu that's plenty enough, thanks!

@JohnnyGoodyear hovering the "buy" button. Thanks a lot, pal... ;)

• Caustic has a pretty good sample editor. Once 3.2 comes out it will be stereo capable.

• I guess my brain hasn't awoken yet this morning, but How do you do time shifting and pitch shifting with blocks wave? I'm interested in buying this app, but I haven't seen it explained in the videos on YouTube.