Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does AB do 96k?

Does AudioBus allow recording of the live input at 96k, without converting it along the way into AUM!?

Comments

• Don't think so

• I know AB didn't use to support 96k! But now that I'm using AUM which does, I'd hoped it might. I still use AB, as a connecting app to AUM. I can probably take a direct input from my hardware into AUM, and make the project 96k. But I thought AB would do 96 now(?)

• edited April 2016

Edit: ignore

• Ah, wrong thread!

• Sebastian gave me the answer... Yes 96k supported. But not by all AB compatible apps though.

• @sELF said:
    Sebastian gave me the answer... Yes 96k supported. But not by all AB compatible apps though.

This is unexpected. I thought that Audiobus only supported 44.1/16.

Can anybody elaborate on this? There are no options available for it. How does this aspect of audio work in Audiobus?

• edited April 2016

Interesting
    Seams to work only when connected to external audio interface?
    IOS is max 48 kHz,
    Audiobus over headphone out is 44.1?

To be investigated
    I think there will be more control over Samplerate in audiobus 3?
    I just tried with ivcs3
    It doesn't let me choose a higher sampling rate because the buffers frame is controlled by audiobus.

So no, audiobus is still just 44.1 kHz
    @Sebastian so how exactly are more than 44.1 kHz supported?

• Yes, would be good to have more info. on that. I missed the big announcement I think :smiley:

• Sebastian's words: Audiobus is sample rate agnostic. But these kinds of answers don't really get to the core of the problem which is third party apps. All apps in your audio chain have to support the sample rate of your input for it to remain like that. If you're using a third party app that only does 44 or 48 Khz (which you probably are), then a 96Khz input will do absolutely nothing for the quality of your recorded audio.

• edited April 2016

I need a menue that says choose Samplerate here as there is for the buffer (I guess what I'm saying is audiobus needs take control of the overall Samplerate like it does for the latency buffer ...)
    There are enough apps outside that would allow chains of 96, 88.2, 48 kHz only setups (without having to deal with Samplerate conversion) :)
    Hm, looks like Aum is the only way to do this?
    48 kHz wouldn't be to shabby, even the cheap 30€ behringer thing does that ...

• edited April 2016

@MusicInclusive said:
    Yes, would be good to have more info. on that. I missed the big announcement I think :smiley:

^^ nothing happened as far as I can see.

• If you start AUM before AB, you can control the sample rate in AUM.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    If you start AUM before AB, you can control the sample rate in AUM.

Will this affect the sample rate of all apps loaded after AUM, or just AUM and it's slaves?

• The tech details about IAA (and AB) regarding sample rates: http://lijon.github.io/iaa_sample_rates.html (warning: techie nerd stuff!)

• edited April 2016

@OscarSouth said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    If you start AUM before AB, you can control the sample rate in AUM.

Will this affect the sample rate of all apps loaded after AUM, or just AUM and it's slaves?

It affects all apps, even if not hosted in AUM. The sample rate is global, the audio interface can only have one rate at a time. Apps can adjust and run in the native rate, or keep running at 44.1 with sample rate conversion.

• Cheers.

If you have any tips for how to make sure that everything is universally running at the same rate, please let us know! It seems pretty simple but it's one of those areas that seems to hold a few mysteries in general use (I'm not so much looking for higher rates myself, just universally standardised 44.1/16 that's going to give me the most performance reliable system).

• so the first opened audio app sets the buffer and the sr
    but for sr I don't have much control over what happens further down the chain

• @OscarSouth said:
    Cheers.

If you have any tips for how to make sure that everything is universally running at the same rate, please let us know! It seems pretty simple but it's one of those areas that seems to hold a few mysteries in general use (I'm not so much looking for higher rates myself, just universally standardised 44.1/16 that's going to give me the most performance reliable system).

If you stick with 44.1/16 then you can be pretty sure everything is running at the same rate, if your hardware also supports that rate (use headphones if you're on a 6S, otherwise it runs at 48k).

For higher rates, I don't know of any way to detect if an IAA app or AU extension is doing any conversion or running at the real session rate. If all sounds good to your ears, then I guess there's nothing to worry about :)

• I have a couple of questions/doubts about sample rates and digital recordings:
    I know a high sample rate is vital when recording microphones and analog sources, to avoid reflections in the audible spectrum of those frequencies above the nyquist, which despite being inaudible can affect the recordings in a audible way creating interferences. But is that relevant when talking about digital to digital recording or just for listening? Me myself for example can't barely hear anything above 16Khz(which means that for playback a 35Khz smpl rate would suffice) and moreover where are the pros of listening to 96KHz files where in the vast majority of cases there are a very few speakers or headphones with such a frequency response, besides we won't hear a 48KHz sound anyway.

• edited April 2016

Audiobus is sample rate agnostic by now and has been for a while. But it really depends on all apps supporting 96Khz for it to actually make a difference (which they rarely ever do).

Also please launch Audiobus first. Bad things happen when you start with other apps and suggesting otherwise just leads to me having to answer support messages about why bad things happen.

• @Sebastian said:
    Audiobus is sample rate agnostic by now and has been for a while. But it really depends on all apps supporting 96Khz for it to actually make a difference (which they rarely ever do).

Also please launch Audiobus first. Bad things happen when you start with other apps and suggesting otherwise just leads to me having to answer support messages about why bad things happen.

Looking forward to a sample rate user setting in Audiobus :)

And sorry if I advised against your recommendations, I'm not aware of the bad things you're talking about. All I know is that the first app gets the control of buffer size and sample rate. Perhaps there are other reasons why not starting Audiobus first can lead to trouble?

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Sebastian said:

Looking forward to a sample rate user setting in Audiobus :)

And sorry if I advised against your recommendations, I'm not aware of the bad things you're talking about. All I know is that the first app gets the control of buffer size and sample rate. Perhaps there are other reasons why not starting Audiobus first can lead to trouble?

I totally get it, you couldn't have known. No hard feelings. Quite a few apps misbehave when being run at higher sample rates or when their sample rates are being changed while they're active.