Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

best synths

can you recommend the top 3 synths? I need to grab some synths so what is your top 3?

Comments

• Right now: Synthmaster, Sunrizer and Lorentz/Poseidon. Hard to leave Magellan off that list though.

• I'll recommend some to get you started

Synth master player
    Yamaha Synthbook
    Noise

The main reason I recommend these three is because they're all free and contain some very good sounds. You can add more sounds through IAP but the what you get for free is very good. Did I mention they're free? Go get them.

• I want the best!

• Nave
    Mitosynth
    Animoog

• Animoog
    Thor
    Sunrizer

• Damn man animoog is $30 is it really worth is while nave is $20

• First: Nanostudio Eden
    Recent: Auria Pro Fabfilter Twins

• Sunrizer
    Mitosynth
    Synthmaster

• U said u wanted the best.

• yep! do i really need more than 2 synths in your opinion?

• edited April 2016

@buzz98 said:
    Damn man animoog is $30 is it really worth is while nave is $20

No, i wouldn't buy animoog at full price. That's just me. Of course if you really plan on working it hard it could be worth it. It is one of the better ios synths as long as you get along with it.

Thor
    Animoog
    Nave?(don't have it but it looks pretty damn good)

Also!! don't forget Viking Synth combined with AUM(3 or 4 channels stacked) is pretty cheap and powerful. My current favorite (when I'm done with my initial Shoom lovefest)

Yeah iMS20 too. Was going to add it in here but not everyone is going to get a long with it. If you have experience with the MS synths or are interested then it's definitely a good app. Also one of my favorites.

• Thor is badass
    ims20 is up there imo

• Shoom
    iMS20
    iVCS3

• Thanks guys - I have decide to narrow my choices down to Thor, Sunrizer, MS-20, and nave....

• @buzz98 said:
    Thanks guys - I have decide to narrow my choices down to Thor, Sunrizer, MS-20, and nave....

Are you looking for a good all-rounder ? I have all of those and my 'go to ' synth would be Thor from that list , closely followed by Nave

• edited April 2016

Thor is a good choice to start with. It does a lot of different things. From there you can figure out what else you need beyond Thor.
    And lastly I would recommend getting a good deep synth app like that and sticking with it for a while. Really get down into it.

(you probably wouldn't need sunrizer if you get Thor. Sunrizer is very good, but you may be able to do most of it in Thor and more. sorry sunrizer, you were my first, but...)

• SynthMaster

• edited April 2016

I hardly ever go to SynthQ but I should, really.
    iTuttle, however, is frequently begun upon.
    I’d feel safe recommending FM4.
    Am I the only one that likes Tera Synth?
    I’d like NLog Pro a bit better if the fake LCD panels were fake illuminated for readability.

• 1 Thor for different synthesis ,
    2 Magellan for the flexibility with fx, sequencer, arpegiator , preset management ,spawning but tends to have it's own character
    3 Zed synth for quality but it hasn't been updated for some time. (Maybe Mitosynth will do the trick but don't have it)

Animoog and synthmaster are great synths but be prepared to buy many IAPs to enjoy them.

• It's been said that Animoog is one of the most expressive and distinct synths in the world. I happen to agree. It takes some getting used to for sure. But I love having a synth that is seemingly designed for unique, non bread and butter sounds. When I first got the hang of it, I loved the sounds so much but they were so different to what my ear was used to hearing from synths and electronic music in general I almost didn't know what to do with them!

• edited April 2016

Hey @buzz98
    Welcome to the iOS synth banquet! (Synth hunt? Synth jones?)

Choose any three (this is from my synthi page 1)
    In no paricular order (except the last three are emulations) Thors not here because it's not as midi compliant as I'd like.

Z3ta+
    Animoog
    Alchemy (the late lamented)
    Tera Synth
    Cube Synth
    Addictive Synth
    Poseidon
    Nave
    WaveGenerator
    WaveMapper
    Mitosynth
    Unity
    iMini
    iProphet
    iSem

All huge, some characterful, some bread and butter, some both, and so many different GUI flavors...that gui stuff alone can be decisive.

My page 2 stuff also includes must-have first tier things too: iM20, Sunrizer, Cassini, Magellan (these last 3 are ridiculous bargains and could easily be your first 3) but these 16 for me stretch iOS synthesis the farthest, and then there's Sunvox

• @buzz98 dude are you familiar with certain synths, hardware or vst? iOS has a lot of pretty accurate recreations that might get you that sounds you're after. Think about synths you already like, and then watch a soundtestroom video on it, we make it easy!

• @buzz98 said:
    I want the best!

Synths aren't like grades of diamonds. Your best could be different from everyone else's best. What actual qualities are you looking for in a synth? Sound? Architecture/Programmability? Quantity of presets? Particular midi control needs? Mono/poly? Bread and butter or weird color adder...

• So which synth and fx apps did you buy?

• @buzz98 Magellan is a great synth that has "spawn" and "surprise me" buttons that allow you to get random patches. Very fun way to quickly get some new sounds, which you can then edit.

Magellan is also one of very few synths that can be seen in the middle spot in your Audiobus or AUM chain. (The only other one I know is NLog) So you can add Magellan effects to the other two synths you buy.

• FabFilter Twin: the best synth in iOS IMO. I made this song Tuesday using FF for about everything except the guitars, including drum sounds:

• @syrupcore said:

@buzz98 said:
    I want the best!

Synths aren't like grades of diamonds. Your best could be different from everyone else's best. What actual qualities are you looking for in a synth? Sound? Architecture/Programmability? Quantity of presets? Particular midi control needs? Mono/poly? Bread and butter or weird color adder...

@buzz98 +1 this, @syrupcore is bringing the next-level stuff here. There's best-of lists, fun to make, and I'm cruising them all the time in the VST realm, and then there's whatchoowant...as often as not my most used are the obscure, the under $10 (under $5), the weird.

• So it seems I need a good synth with some killer leads like nave, but I also need some for atmosphere type sounds

• @buzz98 said:
    So it seems I need a good synth with some killer leads like nave, but I also need some for atmosphere type sounds

If you don't need them simultaneously, start with Nave for both. Atmosphere is pretty broad but Nave does big swaths of what might be considered atmospheric.

• Scan the archives, watch some demos on You tube, do some homework for yourself, spend a few bucks. Like we all do.