Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

midi controller

Well I'm finally getting things in order. I upgraded my Dropbox and I finally got everything imported in Audioshare.....over the last 2 weeks I have spent over $1000 in apps and addons. Lot of that is apps that I just did not care for for whatever reason. I do know, I spent a lot on money on Auria Addons. Yea that is a ton of money, I just started getting this and that and I was like holy crapola LOL. Of course I could only cope with so many apps being that I'm stuck with a 16gig ipad. I just still cannot believe how awesome these Apple apps really are. I have spent so much time on PC's and thought they were doing cool stuff. I have also talked to lot of my other music buddies and tried to convert them but they are so closed minded that they will not even consider the idea. They will just continue to be light years away from where Iam at....

So today is my birthday 46 yrs young LOL so i got a launchpad. It was supposed to be the "S" version but guitarcenter screwed up as usual and sent me the mini, which will just not work, so i was totally bummed out. So i have been looking at other controllers. Now being broke after blowing a grand of cash, im bit limited. In th past I have always used 49key ones, that is why I was going to get a launchpad, yea for the drumpads but was also going to use it to play like a keyboard, I was also looking at 25 key controllers. Will I be happy with a 25key and just use the octave button or would you get the Launchpad or should I force myself to wait? Which will be hell LOL

controllers
  1. Which should I get?1 vote
    1. Launchpad S
      100.00%
    2. 25key controller
        0.00%
    3. Wait a couple months to afford a 49key
        0.00%

Comments

• @buzz98 said:

so i got a launchpad. It was supposed to be the "S" version but guitarcenter screwed up as usual and sent me the mini, which will just not work, so i was totally bummed out.

What will it not do ? The Mini is supposed to be the same spec as the S I believe, but is bus powered. I am using Launchpad MKII with my ipad.

• I just wanted the fullsized launchpad thats all

• edited April 2016

@buzz98 said:
    I just wanted the fullsized launchpad thats all

Ahh, ok :)
    What apps are you planning to use your new controller with.

The LP works perfectly with the Launchpad app as you would expect, and others are saying it is great with ModStep.

One thing to remember is that unless you get an LP Pro, the pads are not velocity sensitive.

• Beathawk,Nave, Animoog, iprophet, artic pro synth, sunrizer but then again do I need all those synths? or do some produce very similiar sounds?

• I spent such a long time recording on the PC I feel like i have to start learning how to produce all over again since converting, I also play guitar so i'm a one man band heavy metal guy too....so another app I'm also using is drum perfect pro

• We've also performed some initial tests on the new USB3 Lightening Adapter connector. This does appear to allow bus powering of all our Launch products (provided the Apple PSU is still connected via the new USB3>Lightening adaptor). We have still yet to officially announce this, as there are still some tests to run.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/03/tested-apple-finally-lets-you-charge-and-use-usb-on-ipad/

• Ya I just discovered the USB3 last week pretty awesome, too bad it doesn't fit into what I'm doing since I use a Focusrite Dock

• I actually do not know much about effect apps, can someone recommend the best apps for effects out there that I might not want to do without?

• @buzz98 said:
    I actually do not know much about effect apps, can someone recommend the best apps for effects out there that I might not want to do without?

You would be best to do a new discussion for iOS fx apps, as you will get swamped with suggestions :)

• @Launchpadforios said:
    We've also performed some initial tests on the new USB3 Lightening Adapter connector. This does appear to allow bus powering of all our Launch products (provided the Apple PSU is still connected via the new USB3>Lightening adaptor). We have still yet to officially announce this, as there are still some tests to run.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/03/tested-apple-finally-lets-you-charge-and-use-usb-on-ipad/

This is good to know :)

• @buzz98 said:
    I spent such a long time recording on the PC I feel like i have to start learning how to produce all over again since converting, I also play guitar so i'm a one man band heavy metal guy too....so another app I'm also using is drum perfect pro

You will want keys rather than an LP if you want to record with velocity, unless as previously stated you go for the Launchpad Pro. You could go for a LaunchKey and get best of all worlds...Velocity sensitive keys, velocity sensitive pads, encoders, faders aswell if you go for 49 key version.

Other options would be the Arturia Beatstep or Korg Nanopad 2, although the pads on the korg are a little smaller and don't allow easy flamming using 2 fingers, and both are only 16 pads.
    Advantage of beatstep is that you also get 16 encoders which if you are using effects also will be useful, however the beatstep is not great for playing melody using the pads as you need to set the notes up ahead of time using PC software.
    Korg Nanopad has slight advantage here as it has 4 memory slots where you can set up different scales for the pads on each. Plus they can be set to send chords as well as single notes.

I guess this all depends on how flexible you need your note input to be, do you play in varied scales ? Do you need velocity ?

• I have the beatstep and I really don't like the pads for playing melodies, I ordered a Samson graphite m25, but I have to wait 10 days here...

• I'm just kind of limited because I use a Focusrite Dock and the midi controllers that are compatible with it are limited

• @buzz98 said:
    I'm just kind of limited because I use a Focusrite Dock and the midi controllers that are compatible with it are limited

Perhaps @Launchpadforios could confirm ? But I think then your best bet would be Launchkey as I would hope this is compatible with Focusrite Dock.

• Buzz98 - first off happy birthday!
    I just gotta ask - can't you just have guitarcenter send you the right LP?
    Just my 2cents, but you mentioned playing synths; the LP seems great for drum programming, triggering stuff, grid based apps, but perhaps the Launchkey would be better if you are wanting to play melodic/chord piano style parts as well? Seems the best of both worlds.

• @buzz98 said:
    I'm just kind of limited because I use a Focusrite Dock and the midi controllers that are compatible with it are limited

go used. Some 49 key keyboard that will work with your dock. If you're used to 49 keys, I reckon 25 keys or a grid alone is ultimately going to piss you off. If you're ok with 4 pads, the Samson Graphite is a great all-in-one. They 49key version is comfortably under $100 used.

Definitely a bummer about the Focusrite's limiting on the MIDI I/O. If you find a used MIDI controller that also has a 5pin MIDI in that will also pass that MIDI in through to the USB port (like the novation impulse or SL series) , you might also consider the original beatstep if you're after nice pads. They're usually 40-50 used and they have a regular MIDI connection (via breakout cable) that you could route through the midi controller.

Or sell the Focusrite and get whatever you want. :)