Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Individual notes of chord to seperate out. Now possible with Navichord

Would be great to be able to split the individual voices in a chord to multiple midi destinations.

OSX app Polymer does the job

polymer-app.com/

@Navichord Here's a challenge for you.... :smile:

Comments

• @JohannesD guessing you can achieve something similar in midiflow?

Are their rules like first voice / second voice etc....

• Scale lock plus multiple midi out, midi out transposed within scale plus xy midi out. One axis transpose amount, the other midi channel?

• @db909 said:
    Scale lock plus multiple midi out, midi out transposed within scale plus xy midi out. One axis transpose amount, the other midi channel?

Pay me for it! I'm drunk

• hi, does anyone know if Kymatica AUM can do this?

• @cl516 said:
    hi, does anyone know if Kymatica AUM can do this?

It can't.

I would loooove to see this in MIDI Flow. I asked about it at some point a hundred years ago. I also asked the Polymer dev if he had any iOS plans. He said maybe but other platforms would come first. :/

• thanks syrupcore

• Also, this might be the kind of thing you could hack up in PureData (via the Mobuphat app or whatever it's called).

• The app Midi Mind does this, but it's in need of an update. Would also love to see this in Navichord too etc

• Maybe that new scriptSonic app would let you code something like this?

• @Jocphone said:
    Maybe that new scriptSonic app would let you code something like this?

Didn't fiddle really with the midi side of scriptSonic but I think it will be possible. Have to check it out

• @Jocphone said:
    Maybe that new scriptSonic app would let you code something like this?

Good idea. @macduff?

• Midi Mind seems to have a lot of potential, but the lack of documentation and support have crippled it.

• @funjunkie27 agreed. The app seems to work ok, but the UI is very confusing. If you can work it out please share. All I want to do is split a chord to different midi channels

• @syrupcore @Jocphone Yes! This is very much the kind of thing that scriptSONIC can do. You can have a single script that responds to an input chord by sending out midi notes received to different channels. One of my tutorials does something similar, but turns an incoming chord into a rhythm of midi note outputs (on a single channel in my case). Take a look -http://www.scriptsonic.com/tutorials/02/Tutorial02.html

• @macduff said:
    @syrupcore @Jocphone Yes! This is very much the kind of thing that scriptSONIC can do. You can have a single script that responds to an input chord by sending out midi notes received to different channels. One of my tutorials does something similar, but turns an incoming chord into a rhythm of midi note outputs (on a single channel in my case). Take a look -http://www.scriptsonic.com/tutorials/02/Tutorial02.html

I program JavaScript for work most days. So it kinda feels wrong to introduce it into my music making. Triggering all sorts of MIDI mayhem though, that's got me thinking I might check out the free version at least.. :cold_sweat:

• @macduff any chance you can do the honours?

• @Jocphone on one level it might seem wrong, but on another it's so right! code is one of the best ways to describe music and mechanisms!

• @Dchild can you give me a specific example of what you want to do i.e. how to map the chord?

• @macduff said:
    @Jocphone on one level it might seem wrong, but on another it's so right! code is one of the best ways to describe music and mechanisms!

Maybe, I'm just not convinced of that yet or that JS is the one for the job. But no matter, I may change my mind when I've had a decent go with scriptSONIC.

• @macduff said:
    @Dchild can you give me a specific example of what you want to do i.e. how to map the chord?

I thought about it but I couldn't think of a way to split a chord in low, mid, high voice regardless of the exact note. The rest should be pretty straight forward then. I'm I wrong?

• i was thinking of either sorting the notes into pitch order and sending the lowest to channel 0, the next to ch1 etc OR testing for pitch ranges and effectively making a keyboard split eg c3-c4 to ch0, c4-c5 to ch1 etc.

• edited April 2016

(Firstly I would recommend changing thread title to more descriptive: e.g " Individual notes of chord to seperate outs possible ? " )

I believe MidiFlow dev was looking into this a while back.

Out of interest I'll mention it is possible to make CreamMobile behave like this , although not it's primary function & you will be limited by the arp engine Rate settings .
    But yes, Using the Four tracks of CreamMobile you can use the SEQ Lane to play only Note1 of a played chord on track1 , Note2 on Track2 , Note3 on Track 3 & Note 4 on Track4 .Set each track's input device , channel & Key range to receive same input for played chords , & set each track to a different output ( port/channel ) . Reduce SEQ step to 1 .
    (edit + set Base note to C2 for all tracks .)
    see photo showing Track2

You will be limited by Rate settings , if you dont want arpeggiation reduce to 1/1 & maybe also tempo. If you play single notes they will always play Track1 , diads tracks 1& 2.

(This strategy might also be possible with StepPolyArp )

• @macduff said:
    i was thinking of either sorting the notes into pitch order and sending the lowest to channel 0, the next to ch1 etc OR testing for pitch ranges and effectively making a keyboard split eg c3-c4 to ch0, c4-c5 to ch1 etc.

Sorti gli the notes will involve a lot of issues, without keyboard splits, because of, for example:
    I want to play a C3 chord(C3, E3, G3) but I hit the keys in this order E3, C3, G3. As soon as I hit E3 it will be recognized as the lowest pitch since it is the only one, the when I hit C3, my root note, where will my E3 be sent? To the mid voice/channel or to the high one?
    Unless the chord is triggered with a single button where the single notes are already mapped to single midi channels, the more I think about a solution the less I see it in a single note input from a keyboard

• edited April 2016

@mschenkel.it said:

@macduff said:
    i was thinking of either sorting the notes into pitch order and sending the lowest to channel 0, the next to ch1 etc OR testing for pitch ranges and effectively making a keyboard split eg c3-c4 to ch0, c4-c5 to ch1 etc.

Sorti gli the notes will involve a lot of issues, without keyboard splits, because of, for example:
    I want to play a C3 chord(C3, E3, G3) but I hit the keys in this order E3, C3, G3. As soon as I hit E3 it will be recognized as the lowest pitch since it is the only one, the when I hit C3, my root note, where will my E3 be sent? To the mid voice/channel or to the high one?
    Unless the chord is triggered with a single button where the single notes are already mapped to single midi channels, the more I think about a solution the less I see it in a single note input from a keyboard

I should have mentioned in my post above that I had quickly tested the set up & it seemed to work ok , without @m.schenkels.it worries of innaccurate triggering .
    However , if this were an issue , CreamMobile's ChordMemoryTrigger function would also allow preprogrammed chords to be triggered with a single note ( before SEQ Lane distribution to separate outs ) so could be solved ( edit assuming a limit of 16 preprogrammed chords would be enough for your needs) .

The only issue generally would be non technical but musical , if you wanted chord inversions it would affect the cross timbral changes of the different sources .

• yes, you're right @mschenkel.it it's more problematic than it first seems. in scriptsonic, though, if you play a chord with all notes starting within an audio frame apart (5-10ms) they should all show up simultaneously in the event.midievents list. you can then sort them and map them in pitch order. i'll see if i can get this working...

• @macduff do any of the examples in the free version make any sound? I tried a few and got nowhere.

• quite a few just generate MIDI and need a synth hooked up - it should say in the notes on the Script page. try '02 poly arp' and '05 slice' - these are sample based and should make some noize straight off

• @macduff said:
    quite a few just generate MIDI and need a synth hooked up - it should say in the notes on the Script page. try '02 poly arp' and '05 slice' - these are sample based and should make some noize straight off

Thanks for the pointer