Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is your work process on your iOS device? [EDIT: Controversial Topic Within]

I have a particular reason for this question. But first, I need to get an idea as to what everyone's work process is...... We all probably do a little of everything, but please try to determine what you do most of on your iOS device, and choose the option that BEST answers the question....

What is your work process on your iOS device? (Choose what you do the MOST)
  1. What is your work process on your iOS device? (Choose what you do the MOST)60 votes
    1. I sequence my music and record the sequences to create songs
      65.00%
    2. I play my music live (without sequencing) and record the results to create songs
      23.33%
    3. I perform in front of an audience and use my iOS device as my instrument (no recording)
      11.67%

Comments

• Mine is to read the audiobus forum until I’m too tired and too late to actually do anything.

• @u0421793 said:
    Mine is to read the audiobus forum until I’m too tired and too late to actually do anything.

LMAO - So true :D

• Mine is to Read the forum, do some music, rage over CoreMidi issues, close everything and go back to the forum, go back to some music making, rage over audio engine going nuts, back to forum and so on

• I don't sequence anything, i just fill up 1gb folders in Audioshare of bits and scraps that my son will inherit.

• i'm most effective (therefore i'm mainly working like this) when i lay down ideas in gadget (it's packed with samples and sliced loops...love abu dhabi.I just found out that you can't save more than 256 presets) and audiocopy/record it over to Auria Pro.That will change a bit when i get Spark LE to use the controller with iSpark.In this case i'll definitely start to use AUM.But whatever i do,the final steps iwill ALWAYS happen in Auria,

• Before Auria Pro: sketch ideas on Garageband iOS and then finish them on Logic, or record a guitar/bass/IAA synth riff or melody on Auria 1.x and add more parts live or via IAA (using DXi, Magellan, iMS20, iPolysixx, Sample Tank and so on).

After Auria Pro: same as above, except now I finish my GB sketches on Auria Pro, and also now I can sketch the ideas in AP itself, since it has a piano roll of its own.

• @u0421793 said:
    Mine is to read the audiobus forum until I’m too tired and too late to actually do anything.

Hahaha!! Yeah, this is me a lot of the time too! :smiley:

• Currently :
    1) create a solid full midi song with korg gadget
    2) export the standard midi files in hardware sequencer Squarp pyramid
    3) synthesis and assign sounds with hardware instruments
    4) record in AUM the audio tracks
    5) add effects to individual tracks
    6) eventually, add vocals
    7) add final touch app on the master
    8) export to soundcloud
    9) Done.

• I jam with my mates. I do record backing loops or drums, but have not recorded one song on my iPad.

It's my instrument and sound maker. It's my drum machine. It's my 4 track tape recorder. It's my workstation synth. It's my fun machine :)

• No recording for me either, strictly live playing.

• The iPad is still a sketchpad for me when used alone (though AUM is beginning to finally change this), but I also use it as a sound source on the DAW. I am a stickler for backups and maintaining the ability to edit my work after the fact, so I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to completely break free from the desktop ecosystem. It's more work now, as I have to take note of what apps I use on different tracks, original sample file names, etc.. AB and AUM have state saving and all but I don't trust it completely. iOS is still too transitory. I do like how AUM has a place for its own notes, and wish AB would implement this.

The iPhone has also been a sketchpad, except that nothing useful has ever come of it (Wee Gadget and AUM are both helping to change this as well). If I had a commute, I'd probably try harder. In the studio, it primarily serves as a wireless transport control for my DAW, since my gear is out of reach of the computer. AB Remote is a player when out and about with the iPad, so I usually have a battery charger in my bag.

• Have tried a few different ones involving things like MTS, Auria and Genome playing synths like Animoog, iSem and Twin2 mixed with iElectribe / Elastic Drums. But have returned to this one because it's the easiest and quickest way of getting tracks made:

1. Korg Gadget
    2. Stems into Auria for mixing (although increasingly I'm not even bothering with this since now we have EQ and Compression in Gadget).

I just wish Gadget had

• better reverb options
    • a better onboard drum synth
    • a few more insert effects
    • long sample lengths

But it's pretty damn good.

• I'm doing something similar @Matt_Fletcher_2000 I use my iPhone 6+ exclusively, so it is Gadget with stems to Multitrack Daw. I also use MusicStudio with stems exported to MultiTrack DAW. I try to use proper IAA-based apps for all sequencing, but when that's not available for what I need, I use Audiobus/AUM to a looper and record a loop by playing live. I then export those loops to MultiTrack Daw. I put everything together there. I also have Reaper and FLStudio on the desktop for further work if needed.

• Multitrack DAW is very cool. It handles IAA effects extremely well.

• Which brings me to the point of this survey. As of this moment, 58.82% of us use sequencers and host apps (likely through IAA/AU) to record our songs. 29.41% play live to record our songs. And, 11.76% of us don't record our songs, but use the iDevice as a musical instrument for performance/shows.

So, with the majority of us recording sequenced data to create our tracks, why are developers not focusing more on apps that host properly and include transport controls? I'm talking IAA (instrument) and AU apps right now, not IAA generator or Link or Audiobus or MIDI technologies. When recording on an iDevice with IAA (Instrument), we need the data to record properly and play back those sequences. We need transport controls that take us quickly from host to app and back. We also need the transport controls to have the record button easily available. When recording from AU....who am I kidding? We need an AU host and an AU app!! :wink: I'm sure AU will come along little by little. But as I look at the numbers, I see that the majority of us use similar work processes, including sequencing data and recording it, yet, the majority of apps are not IAA (Instrument) or AU. Does any one else see the available market there? I'm not in any way slamming Audiobus/AUS/Link/MIDI (ok, maybe I'll slam on iOS MIDI a little--it sucks! :wink: ), but I'm just saying that developers either need to focus more on the work process that the majority of users use, or find a way to make Audiobus/AUS/Link have transport controls (including recording). to make the Link technology similar to how IAA/AU works. Sadly, about half of the IAA (instrument) apps available don't work properly either. The most common problem is the lack of transport options (Animoog, I'm looking squarely at you), followed by apps that have to be started first in order to work properly (DM1, I'm looking at you). These are just examples, but things should work properly and completely--at the VERY LEAST, there needs to be a button to go back to the host.

Now, I've been using iDevices for music since before Audiobus. Honestly, Audiobus has been the greatest thing to ever happen to iOS music, but it is just a 'Audio' routing tool. Link is designed more for live use. and 58.82% of us, the majority, are still having to cludge around with creating loops and piecing things together in a third-party app (MultiTrack DAW in my particular case).

The developers need to stop being satisfied with the status quo. 58.82% of us record through sequencing. Currently, hosting the app is the only way to make that work properly. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm willing to pay more for an app that I can sequence within my host and have it play/record/rewind when I press the transport button. Currently, our technologies are designed more for a purpose. For example:

"Ableton Link is a very good way to sync apps together, with good accuracy. However it does not have any transport control mechanism built-in (that's why Audiobus added their own global play trigger button).

Inter-App Audio host sync is even more accurate, but does not work across devices. It does have transport controls. If you start the host, the hosted node apps will start as well. Inter-App Audio host sync is not really harder to implement than Ableton Link. http://lijon.github.io/ios_audio_sync.html

Both technologies have their distinct roles in my own humble opinion: Link for live jamming, multiple users, multple devices. IAA sync for production, DAW work, recording, single-person workflows." --- @j_liljedahl

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/207243/#Comment_207243

So, my big question is, why are developers focusing on Ableton Link instead of host technologies? Once a person understands what Ableton Link is good for and what it isn't good for, I realize that even though it is a cool technology and has some really cool features, it is not what I and 58.82% of us really need.......

• @j_liljedahl @Sebastian @sonosaurus @Michael @WhiteNoise @Retronyms @..... I can't remember any more. Please everyone, if you know a developer's name, please post their "@" to get them to post comments here. We need people to discuss this. I think developers need to know our work processes, so that they will know what will help us users the most. By the way, if transport controls (including record) came to Link, this would be a great help too! :-)

• It's too early to draw conclusions. Twenty votes, collected from one site in one day, is not a meaningful sample.

• The point is to get a discussion going. To get developers and users to talk about it. :smile:

• All the people who play live aren't participating in the poll because they are actually playing rather than reading about it.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    All the people who play live aren't participating in the poll because they are actually playing rather than reading about it.

Hehehe!!!! I'm also told that exactly 86.3% of all statistics are made up right on the spot. ;-)

• @dokwok2 said:
    It's too early to draw conclusions. Twenty votes, collected from one site in one day, is not a meaningful sample.

This. And I notice this despite using my iPad only for recording, never for live playing/jamming and despite agreeing with the general need for accurate transport controls.

@Audiojunkie said:
    The point is to get a discussion going. To get developers and users to talk about it. :smile:

I believe you, and yet the way you express that seems a little bit like unjustified criticism from a premature conclusion drawn from a single and early ongoing survey. :)

• I can't vote. My choice is not there in the poll.

My most typical usage is to load an audio file into iDensity, Borderlands Granular, or other audio/sample mangling app, and make ambient/noise pieces with it.

• Not controversial, just a matter of taste. Before AB conquered the audio connection problems we all had, that was the biggest lament about iOS music. I for one record my guitar and vocals into an iOS DAW, and add iOS synths and drums and am very satisfied with my songs and how easy it is nowadays. AB paved the way for IAA, AU, Link, and even Pure Data stuff. Each will progress at their own pace. The audio progress came on like a tidal wave. It would be great if all the other technologies got rolling as well as audiobus so there would be everything possible available. In the meantime, I count my blessings that AB came along when it did, and is going where it continues to go. The more mind blowing the better.

• @theconnactic said:

@dokwok2 said:
    It's too early to draw conclusions. Twenty votes, collected from one site in one day, is not a meaningful sample.

This. And I notice this despite using my iPad only for recording, never for live playing/jamming and despite agreeing with the general need for accurate transport controls.

@Audiojunkie said:
    The point is to get a discussion going. To get developers and users to talk about it. :smile:

I believe you, and yet the way you express that seems a little bit like unjustified criticism from a premature conclusion drawn from a single and early ongoing survey. :)

It was not my intention to come across as a criticism--I have the greatest respect for the developers. I'm just not sure that they are aware of "HOW" many of us work--that many of us rely on sequencers and transport controls and synchronized timing. Granted, Apple and their lack of documentation is largely to blame, but as long as we don't speak up, the developers will not know our work processes. Ableton Link is a great new technology, but it is designed for a different purpose (live use) rather than production work. I see a lot of people demanding that Link be put into everything, and yet it isn't the answer for everything... It's great and all, for what it is, but without transport controls, it isn't useful for production work (which most of us do).

• @GovernorSilver said:
    I can't vote. My choice is not there in the poll.

My most typical usage is to load an audio file into iDensity, Borderlands Granular, or other audio/sample mangling app, and make ambient/noise pieces with it.

That would fit under Live recording, option 2. :smile:

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Not controversial, just a matter of taste. Before AB conquered the audio connection problems we all had, that was the biggest lament about iOS music. I for one record my guitar and vocals into an iOS DAW, and add iOS synths and drums and am very satisfied with my songs and how easy it is nowadays. AB paved the way for IAA, AU, Link, and even Pure Data stuff. Each will progress at their own pace. The audio progress came on like a tidal wave. It would be great if all the other technologies got rolling as well as audiobus so there would be everything possible available. In the meantime, I count my blessings that AB came along when it did, and is going where it continues to go. The more mind blowing the better.

I agree with this completely!! The Audiobus team have been incredibly innovative and continue to be. I've very happy with Audiobus!! :smiley: It would be nice to see transport controls (start, stop, record, rewind) added to Audiobus though..... That would be VERY helpful! :smile: Between that and IAA (instruments) and AU hosts, we'd have some pretty good solutions. Probably my biggest complaint is with developers who make their instruments IAA generators only, instead of IAA instruments. That is the lazy way out and makes an app very difficult to use with sequencers.

• Well-intentioned effort, but I would have liked an extra choice which would 1 AND 2 combined as this is how most of my work comes about. A sequence perhaps or a drum track created and then sequenced and thereafter some live playing as well and the two becoming one etc.

• IAA generator was the minimum they could get away with to keep within Audiobus

• I agree with most of what's been said. I would also like developers to view their apps more as instruments in and of themselves, paying special attention to making the intended workflow as musical as possible. Imagine something like ikaossilator with midi out, user created/imported samples, and a basic mixer with a few strong effects. That's a hell of a lot of mileage that's easily achievable with even that simple of an interface. Something like that would meet basic sequencing needs and encourage musicality. After cutting my teeth on fl studios piano roll yeArs ago, I'm just about done with piano rolls. Don't wanna use them, don't want to see them.

• edited March 2016

@Audiojunkie said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    I can't vote. My choice is not there in the poll.

That would fit under Live recording, option 2. :smile:

Not really, because half the time I reuse the resultant audio as a sample elsewhere - which makes the process a production one rather than live.

When I think of "live" I think of the whole thing being done in front of an audience. Maybe that's not what you intended but that's the association I make with that word. I've played live with hardware sampler, viola, etc. but not with IOS devices yet.