Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad for live keyboard rig

Comments

• I'll try that in the morning. Thanks!

• I never heard of that hard reset. Good to know. And the low ultra low is another good suggestion. I'm not sure on going from the headphone out to a mixer? You may have some gain issues doing that. I use the presonus 44vsl. Its awesome.

• You need to keep the power and home buttons pressed until you see the Apple logo.

• Sample tank distorts if you don't reduce the individual volume to %50 or less , for me Anyhow :)

• Between that and the incessant ads, maybe I should look for another app instead of sampletank. Any good competition out there? And what about igrand? Is there an alternative to that one?

I think if I had an audio interface it would be less of an issue.

Can I connect an audio interface, and a midi controller to a usb hub and plug all of that into the CCK and it all work? Right now I have my midi controller into a powered hub, into the CCK, so all I would really be doing is adding an audio interface to the hub. Can it handle that? Will it increase or decrease latency, or have no affect?

• BS-16i and grab a decent piano soundfont. It seems quite CPU light so shouldn't glitch as much

• Sorry for my ignorance, but I've been living in Propellerhead Reason world for a long time, and have no experience with VST stuff. Is a soundfont, just a set of samples? And BS-16i just a player for those samples? If so, where would I even go to find a good piano soundfont?

Thanks!

• @keeverw You might want to look at the Akai EIE 16 bit (not 24 bit. it doesnt work with ipad) It has 3 USB inputs besides the USB going to cck, so you can eliminate usb hub. +1 for bs-16.

• edited June 2013

Bs-16 is a complete sequencer. Hammer sound.com is a good source for soundfonts. Do a search on this forum for soundfonts.

• And these sounds are as good as igrand and the like?

Also regarding the EIE.
    Do you just plug the EIE into the CCK?
    And I see it has real midi ports, so I could just plug my power supply into my Axiom controller, and run a midi cable into the EIE. But if I wanted to just run a USB cable from the Axiom to the EIE, and let it run on USB power, would that work?

And I guess this rig doesn't charge the ipad right?

• Yes you can do that and no it doesn't charge ipad. Probably the only negative I've found. It also works for PC/Mac.

• I may have to go that route.
    I mean in all honesty, the battery life isn't that much of an issue on my ipad, as long as I start out with a good charge.

• It's just hard to believe any of those soundfonts are as good as igrand when igrand is 256MB, and the largest piano font I saw was 5MB.

Can you recommend a really great all-purpose grand piano font on that site?

• Maybe igrand installs all of it's different pianos, and then just unlocks them when you purchase IAP's, so maybe that contributes to it's large file size.

• I was always told size doesn't matter! Not true?

• On my 44vsl interface I have gr 20 synth plugged in the midi ports, then a powered USB hub has my keyboard and a pad control plugged into it all going into CCK and all available to play at once. Plus 4 mic pre's going also. The smaller 22vsl can do the same just with only 2 mic pre's.

• So you do still need a powered hub in that setup?
    What about with the EIE?

• And higher sample rate = bigger file size.
    So up to a point size matters.

• Yeah I was just kidding about the size thing. Yes I have a powered hub with 4 ports I think it was 20 bucks. I also picked up the irig keys which can go direct into the ipad no power needed. Of course it has mini keys. But really portable!

• I haven't tried a powered hub with the EIE, since I haven't needed to input more than a couple of midi devices at the same time. It worked great for that.

I'll keep this clean and steer clear of any size comments ;-)

• But can you plug a USB-powered midi controller into one of the usb ports, and have the EIE power your controller, and transfer midi over usb?

• I haven't tried it, so I can't comment.

• I purchased the full version of iGrand, and I don't know why but I think it's smoother, less glitchy. Maybe because I'm using a different piano. "Rock Upright"

But I still get the clipping noise, even when I just using iGrand by itself.
    I can turn the volume down in the app really low and it gets better, but then I've gotta crank up the preamp on my mixer to compensate, and that makes for a noisy signal anyway.

Is this an issue for everyone not using an audio interface?

What is the cheapest way to get audio out and midi in together in one interface?
    I don't even care about audio in, or midi out.

Other apps don't distort like this. Just IK Multimedia apps.

Maybe I need to email them and see if they can fix this.
    It's like their apps are overdriving the built-in ipad DA converters.

• @mgmg4871 does the Akai power the iPAD

• If you mean the EIE, then no.

• @keeverw thanks, it's about time someone build a proper interface for ipad with USB input like the EIE and midi with support to power the iPad

• @JuniorPops No the EIE does not power the ipad.

• I have a Apogee Duet for iPad that works good, but I was just looking for a cheap solution for my iPad only so I could use duet with my desktop

• Playing around trying to record a song last night, and I gave up on iGrand.
    I talked to customer support at IK, and they basically told me to turn the piano level down, and then the master app level, and even the ipad level. And it helped, but it didn't solve the problem. So I pulled up Sampletank, and layered a piano and a synthpad, and some strings, and it sounded pretty good. I might just buy the pianos addon for Sampletank, and just forget using iGrand. Which stinks, because it had a lot of potential. But also, iGrand was glitchy for me at times too, and Sampletank isn't, because I guess iGrand is more processor intensive (or Ram intensive) than Sampletank.

I downloaded BS-16i and I'm diggin the preloaded sounds.
    This may be able to do a lot for me that I was relying on Sampletank and iGrand for.

Can anyone recommend a really nice bread&butter grand piano sound I can download to use with BS-16i? Maybe a nice collection of pads as well?