Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What are your favorite sources for FM pianos on iOS?

My current favorites are: the Sonik pack on SampleTank; Lyra, andSynthMaster Player. There’s even a nice FM Piano in Chordbot.

If there are EP presets for DXi and FM4, I haven’t found them. The developer could make awesome FM pianos on TF7, but so far he hasn’t cared to. I don’t know if he will as there isn’t even a keyboard in the app.

I know there are lots of other FM synths, including Stria, Caustic, etc. that I don’t own. No doubt there are more.

What do you recommend? Of course I can get everything I want with FM8 and the free Dexed.

Comments

• Does Chiang Mai in Gadget count?

I get some nice piano type sounds out of it.

• @Reid said:
    If there are EP presets for DXi and FM4, I haven’t found them. The developer could make awesome FM pianos on TF7, but so far he hasn’t cared to. I don’t know if he will as there isn’t even a keyboard in the app. >

FM4 = Factory Bank D, bunch of EP's there

TF7 = Electric Piano preset under "Keys" area in Expanded Algorithms

• @CalCutta Yeah, I know about those, I'm just not impressed with the quality or variety. There are hundreds of FM pianos on the web. I used to pay a lot of money in the old days to buy patches from programmers. It's one of the most used sounds in the history of popular music and on a countless number of the most popular songs ever recorded. But with all the sounds on iOS, it is just "eh."

I think that if the people who make TF7 would add a pack that has traditional DX7-type instruments, TF7 would be one of the most successful synths in the store. He has the technology, but he only wants to create "weird and wonderful" Rudess-ish stuff. To me, it's perverse. Why no keyboard?

I only say this because TF7. It is so damned good. It's like a Ferrari that's left in the garage.

Anyway, thanks to the Korg sale, I've got my answer. There are wonderful FM piano sounds in Korg Module, including some of the new Triton sounds. I'm happy. :)

I do think that Korg should add a FM gadget.

• @Reid said:
    @CalCutta Yeah, I know about those, I'm just not impressed with the quality or variety. There are hundreds of FM pianos on the web. I used to pay a lot of money in the old days to buy patches from programmers. It's one of the most used sounds in the history of popular music and on a countless number of the most popular songs ever recorded. But with all the sounds on iOS, it is just "eh."

>

Not to be overly pedantic, but your original post states: "If there are EP presets for DXi and FM4, I haven’t found them.", that's why I mentioned the ones I did. Wasn't thinking about relative quality of them.

• @CalCutta Understood. I should have made myself more clear from the beginning. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me out.

The real reason I posted this is that I don't own Stria and other FM apps that may be out there. I don't want to purchase it and find out that it doesn't have the FM sounds I want.

But now I'm pretty Korged out, FM piano-wise and $$$-wise.

• @Reid said:
    @CalCutta Understood. I should have made myself more clear from the beginning. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me out.

The real reason I posted this is that I don't own Stria and other FM apps that may be out there. I don't want to purchase it and find out that it doesn't have the FM sounds I want.

But now I'm pretty Korged out, FM piano-wise and $$$-wise.

Fair enough :smile:. Ironically, I've never thought about this subject before, and I agree with you 100%.

I do have Stria and I'm nowhere near a good enough FM programmer to get anything close to a piano sound in it! All of that dev's apps tend to go to the more esoteric side of things, so I have my doubts about its feasibility for that purpose.

I've been waiting for the Korg Volca FM. The ability to load DX7 patches is just one of a million reasons that thing looks AWESOME!