Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Question about Audio Streams

I have all of my apps running to the same output(MiMix). Currently I have all of the apps in one single stream and each input app is automatically assigned to its own channel in MiMix. Is this an efficient way of routing things or should I have each app in its own stream?

Comments

• @mptrin it depends on what you're wanting to do. If you want to run different apps through different effects, you'd route them differently.

• @Paul said:
    @mptrin it depends on what you're wanting to do. If you want to run different apps through different effects, you'd route them differently.

Thanks Paul,
    I use iOS devices to play live and try to keep things as basic and streamlined as possible so there are no catastrophes and so I don't get confused! As far as effects, I plan to use some basic reverb, delay and modulation effects. I figure that by using one stream I can toggle effects in and out on whatever given midi channel/app I am playing at the moment, if that makes sense.

• @mptrin since you play live, I'd definitely consider saving your presets in Audiobus, see which apps have Audiobus state saving and looking into MIDI for MiMix. Updating your apps and iOS can introduce problems so you might want to check with people on the forum before you do either one if there are app chains essential for your performances. There are some effect apps that can respond to MIDI and be time synced so you might want to see if those meet your needs too.

Link is another consideration as well especially if the apps have an Audiobus start/stop button which means they can all be stopped and started at the same time with the main Audiobus start/stop button.

There is also variability in how often developers update their apps and a look at their update history in the App Store can give you a sense of this.

There are several people on the forum who play live regularly so I think they're a good source of information. If you use or are looking to use additional equipment with your iOS devices, they can also provide advice about these sorts of issues too.

• @Paul said:
    @mptrin since you play live, I'd definitely consider saving your presets in Audiobus, see which apps have Audiobus state saving and looking into MIDI for MiMix. Updating your apps and iOS can introduce problems so you might want to check with people on the forum before you do either one if there are app chains essential for your performances. There are some effect apps that can respond to MIDI and be time synced so you might want to see if those meet your needs too.

Link is another consideration as well especially if the apps have an Audiobus start/stop button which means they can all be stopped and started at the same time with the main Audiobus start/stop button.

There is also variability in how often developers update their apps and a look at their update history in the App Store can give you a sense of this.

There are several people on the forum who play live regularly so I think they're a good source of information. If you use or are looking to use additional equipment with your iOS devices, they can also provide advice about these sorts of issues too.

Thanks for the guidance Paul,
    Many members of this forum have already been lifesavers for me, seeing as I am new to midi mapping and have played hardware keyboards and racks for the past several years.
    I am using midi with MiMix to control the levels of my apps, mute, solo, etc from my controller. I became aware of the update risks just reading through threads here, so I'm still on 8.4 or so. My keyboard controller is new so I am still working through the features. Link sounds like it might be useful for my purposes so I will certainly look into that.