Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Polyphonic Pitchbend, Aftertouch....

We have this beautiful things on iOS but is there a DAW out there which could record all the midi data from this? Not sure about it. Auria Pro maybe? Cubasis?
If not, take it to my wishlist ;)

Comments

• Auria Pro records MIDI polyphonic aftertouch. I tried that already with Animoog and it works nicely.

I need to find an app that I can send polyphonic pitchbend MIDI data from. Thinking of the virsyn apps, but not sure they'll play ball.

• Oh. Thumbjam! Going to try that :smile:

• edited February 2016

@MusicInclusive said:
    Oh. Thumbjam! Going to try that :smile:

Yep, just enable Channel Per Touch in the midi output options. Geo Synth is another that will do it.

• OK. So, no, not apparently working well (as I wasn't sure it would) for polyphonic pitchbend.

I started a single instrument in TJ, set it to slide, played two notes, one ascending, one descending simultaneously. The output audio records nicely. The MIDI notes record, but the pitchbend is singular, whichever one happens to "win" at that moment.

Checked by playing back through TJ.

• Ah. Channel per touch. Thanks @sonosaurus - yes. I'll give it another go. That would end up creating two tracks though in AP - right? One for each note, and each with its own pitchbend. Not quite the same thing, but definitely workable.

• edited February 2016

@MusicInclusive said:
    Ah. Channel per touch. Thanks @sonosaurus - yes. I'll give it another go. That would end up creating two tracks though in AP - right? One for each note, and each with its own pitchbend. Not quite the same thing, but definitely workable.

And if you are checking playback you will also need to make sure that the input channel is set to Omni (it isn't dumb omni, it's smart!)

I haven't tried it in Auria, but every new touch in TJ will be on a new midi channel...

• Yes - set one AP MIDI track to MIDI channel 1, set another to MIDI channel 2, each coming from TJ.

Recorded pitchbend from each note fine.

Playback isn't working as I expected though. Would I need to send each back to separate TJ instrument instances on different MIDI channels at that point @sonosaurus ? (Even though I only needed to use one instance to send.)

• I was thinking about an iOS DAW where all this information gets recorded in one midi track rather than having to use multiple tracks for it.

• I'm not sure you could do that anyway @Cinebient for pitchbend. I don't know of a desktop DAW that will do that - but - I've never tried to record polyphonic pitchbend before. Aftertouch? Yes, several do, and record it all on one track like Auria Pro does.

• edited February 2016

If Aftertouch (poly or channel-based) is sent as a MIDI CC (which is always is, as far as I know), any DAW which takes MIDI in should work.

• Not every DAW records poly aftertouch @CalCutta. I've wanted that for a while. Some DAWs do, some don't. Reaper doesn't, Cubase doesn't, S1 doesn't. I didn't try Pro Tools yet, it might. Logic does, Tracktion does.

• @MusicInclusive said:
    Not every DAW records poly aftertouch @CalCutta. I've wanted that for a while. Some DAWs do, some don't. Reaper doesn't, Cubase doesn't, S1 doesn't. I didn't try Pro Tools yet, it might. Logic does, Tracktion does.

Yes, that's what i want!

• edited February 2016

@MusicInclusive said:
    Not every DAW records poly aftertouch @CalCutta. I've wanted that for a while. Some DAWs do, some don't. Reaper doesn't, Cubase doesn't, S1 doesn't. I didn't try Pro Tools yet, it might. Logic does, Tracktion does.

Ah ok, Logic and my MPC are the only ones I've ever tried with and they both recorded poly aftertouch in. Thanks for the info!

• edited February 2016

@MusicInclusive said:
    I'm not sure you could do that anyway @Cinebient for pitchbend. I don't know of a desktop DAW that will do that - but - I've never tried to record polyphonic pitchbend before. Aftertouch? Yes, several do, and record it all on one track like Auria Pro does.

Bitwig does, Logic too. I think this midi MPE is the thing here.
    F.e. When i play Equator via the seaboard in Logic. Everything get's recorded.
    I was not sure if an iOS DAW could do that. At least none of my iPhone DAW's.

• Ah. Good to know about Logic with the pitchbend @Cinebient

Yes, don't know of anything on iOS that does. I think the way that AP records CC curves currently might make it hard to shoehorn in right away, but I'm sure it could be added.

• @MusicInclusive said:
    Yes - set one AP MIDI track to MIDI channel 1, set another to MIDI channel 2, each coming from TJ.

Recorded pitchbend from each note fine.

So you only had two simultaneous touches in your test?

Playback isn't working as I expected though. Would I need to send each back to separate TJ instrument instances on different MIDI channels at that point @sonosaurus ? (Even though I only needed to use one instance to send.)

As mentioned above, be sure to set Input channel to Omni and all midi input will be directed to the selected instrument.

• I'll check that over @sonosaurus - thanks. Won't be until later though.