Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Orchestrated Tip

Just a quick tip for those using orchestral strings.

To put a bit of life into your strings, use ApeFilter with a small amount of modulation to move the filter up and down the spectrum.

Breathes a bit more life into Sampletank strings ;)

Add your own tips below :)

Comments

• Nice thread idea. You can also use Johnny to add vibrato to voice and string patches.

• I'll be here all week.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I'll be here all week.

I hope you don't apply vibrato by shaking the singer :smiley:

• @senhorlampada said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I'll be here all week.

Might be spot on for horror movie soundtracks :p

• edited February 2016

I'll, just .... leave this here :smiley:

( @JohnnyGoodyear :wink: )

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

To put a bit of life into your strings, use ApeFilter with a small amount of modulation to move the filter up and down the spectrum.

Wow... Running Fugue Machine through Sampletank Cellos and modulating a bit of freq and q on Apefilter rocks!
    Thanks for the idea. Gotta throw this one in my evernote :smile:

• edited February 2016

Good tip @Fruitbat1919

I've also been experimenting with adding random adjustments to the MIDI in Auria Pro using the instrument panel (bottom left) - velocity, note length.

• That is really good @Fruitbat1919 - I have come up with a setting that I think works nicely. Best to make the Q LFO sync more or less in beat with the music. The frequency shift can be much slower. The peaks need to be gentle as to not introduce a flanging effect.

I ended up using this for the piece I've been working on. Applied it on the Main out.

• @MusicInclusive said:
    That is really good @Fruitbat1919 - I have come up with a setting that I think works nicely. Best to make the Q LFO sync more or less in beat with the music. The frequency shift can be much slower. The peaks need to be gentle as to not introduce a flanging effect.

I ended up using this for the piece I've been working on. Applied it on the Main out.

I will try this next month when hopefully I upgrade to Auria Pro. I know I'm probably the only one who hasn't yet :p

• @senhorlampada said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Wow... Running Fugue Machine through Sampletank Cellos and modulating a bit of freq and q on Apefilter rocks!
    Thanks for the idea. Gotta throw this one in my evernote :smile:

Yeah Fugue Machine was made for strings. Imagine what we can do when they add multiple midi outs :)

• May not apply to all your tastes... but I like to add a bit of AUFX:Dub warbleness and a tad saturation too (You can use the Cassette Old preset and tweak it)

• @senhorlampada said:
    May not apply to all your tastes... but I like to add a bit of AUFX:Dub warbleness and a tad saturation too (You can use the Cassette Old preset and tweak it)

Worth a try. I've always done such things with MasterRecord to a track. Are you using it per instrument?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@senhorlampada said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I'll be here all week.

Might be spot on for horror movie soundtracks :p

or another method to quote Spike Milligan, (Monty his part in my victory)......,,

"Now everybody knew. I picked up a faint German broadcast of a very corny band playing old Jack Hylton arrangements. The singer, could I ever forget his name! — Ernst Strainz! His vibrato sounded like he was driving a tractor over ploughed fields with weights tied to his scrotum"

• @Fruitbat1919 I do it per instrument... trying to get subtle, but different vibes from each one... I dig MasterRecord for that too

@Tickletiger lol

• @senhorlampada said:
    @Fruitbat1919 I do it per instrument... trying to get subtle, but different vibes from each one... I dig MasterRecord for that too

@Tickletiger lol

If the Aux apps were AU to have multiple instances, it would help for hearing and changing settings on multiple instruments together.

• In holywood film scores it's quite common to blend in some synth to thicken up the sound, or so I have read.

• @Coloobar said:
    In holywood film scores it's quite common to blend in some synth to thicken up the sound, or so I have read.

Yep that's a good idea :)

• @MusicInclusive said:
    Eewww. No! :-1: :smiley:

Hehe, I'm not surprised someone did not like this idea. Like having lager in a real beer pub eh? :p

• The word "snobbery" came into use the first time in England during the 1820s. It allegedly originated from the habit of many Oxford and Cambridge colleges of writing sine nobilitate (Latin: "without nobility") or s. nob. next to the names of ordinary students on examination lists in order to distinguish them from their aristocratic schoolmates. The French version of the Latin phrase though is much more accepted: sans noblesse, essentially the same but derived from the Plantagenets' rule of England and their use of cheap synths to bolster orchestral sounds.

Just so you know.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The word "snobbery" came into use the first time in England during the 1820s. It allegedly originated from the habit of many Oxford and Cambridge colleges of writing sine nobilitate (Latin: "without nobility") or s. nob. next to the names of ordinary students on examination lists in order to distinguish them from their aristocratic schoolmates. The French version of the Latin phrase though is much more accepted: sans noblesse, essentially the same but derived from the Plantagenets' rule of England and their use of cheap synths to bolster orchestral sounds.

Just so you know.

I really did laugh out loud!
    Well done.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The word "snobbery" came into use the first time in England during the 1820s. It allegedly originated from the habit of many Oxford and Cambridge colleges of writing sine nobilitate (Latin: "without nobility") or s. nob. next to the names of ordinary students on examination lists in order to distinguish them from their aristocratic schoolmates. The French version of the Latin phrase though is much more accepted: sans noblesse, essentially the same but derived from the Plantagenets' rule of England and their use of cheap synths to bolster orchestral sounds.

Just so you know.

Can we still use big Moog Modulars, as long as we leave the MicroBrutes at home? :p

• I laughed out loud too @JohnnyGoodyear - nicely put that man! :+1: :smiley:

• edited February 2016

BTW: I should add, I have nooooo problem with using orchestral instruments and synths in the same piece, nor rearranging and reorchestrating a classical piece using modern instruments - I'm happy to do both. Just not.... (Eewww! ) thickening out a traditional classical piece, say a piece of Mozart, with some synths just to make it sound thicker. That's a no-no... :smiley:

No no no no no! :wink:

• No no no no no eh yes ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 I'd love to hear a sample of how this sounds, I don't have ApeFilter, but might consider it if I like the effect you're getting

• @theartwebreathe said:
    @Fruitbat1919 I'd love to hear a sample of how this sounds, I don't have ApeFilter, but might consider it if I like the effect you're getting

If I can figure out how this whole Soundcloud business works, I will try to post something. I've not had much luck with it in the past and ended up giving up :p

• edited February 2016

Here are two clips I did.

The first is before any adjustment per other places where I've been describing working on Mozart's Symphony No 29 K.201 with MIDI -> Notion -> Auria Pro -> SSO instruments.

The second is with both randomization on the velocities and note lengths for all the strings in Auria Pro, and with Apefilter filtering the total output (settings slightly altered but not much from what I posted above). I would apply this per string part but that's more long-winded to do at this point, so this is a rough and ready test of the idea that has been suggested.

Before:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvq2vqwybz1o47c/SSO Mozart KV201_bk3 3.wav?dl=0

After both some randomization of velocity/note length in Auria Pro and filtering with Apefilter:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn54o31u8p94524/K201goneApe.wav?dl=0

The note length adjustment, while helping a tad with humanization has the side-effect of clipping some grace notes.

Still it is what it is. Not claiming much for this, simply demonstrating how I've been playing with it.