Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone working with IPod Touch?

I'm considering backing up my iPad tones, AB, synths, etc. onto an IPod Touch, since I am mainly using my iOS apps live. I want a backup in case of glitches and would rather not invest in another iPad. Any experiences with this? Or known issues, besides the obvious limitations of a small screen? Any differences in the iPod version of AB?

Comments

• I used to strictly use my ipod. Up until a year or so ago when I got an ipad. Things are mostly the same, like you mentioned smaller screen. The two DAW's I used were Multi-track and BM2. Mostly MT Daw. Cuz The big hitters aren't available on the ipod/phone.

• BM2, iMaschine 2, Rhythm Studio, Yellofier, Bassline, Funkbox, Samplewiz, TriqTraq, Figure, Garageband, Looptical, Animoog, Alchemy, Sampletank and Loopy are basically my main apps on the iTouch... but there are lots of others to use...

The only app I can recall suffering with performance is Elastic Drums, that stutters a lot

• Thanks for the feedback guys. Now I'm thinking the korg module might be a good solution for me. It wouldn't necessarily replicate all of what I have in my iPad, but at least I would have access to some core sounds on the ipod touch as a backup to get me through a reboot at set break...

• Which apps are you using on the iPad?

• Got 2 new iPod touch 6s recently. Using one for ToneStack and FluxFX Play on my guitar, the other runs a light show using Luminair. No problems with Tonestack/Flux, so far. Also have 2 iPads for synths and an older iPod Touch running a setlist program. Thinking about moving one of my iPads to an iPod Touch, as well, as all the synths I'm using on that one can run on a Touch.

If you're using the Touches like synth or fx modules (which I am), they should work just fine as long as all your needed apps run on it.

• @syrupcore said:
    Which apps are you using on the iPad?

Currently I use: IGrand piano, ILectric Piano, Gallileo, Magellan, Sampletank, and Noisepad into AB and Mimix. Will most likely be purchasing Isymphonic and Sunrizer soon.
    FYI: I play in a wedding band so I am mostly using classic sounds for keys and some samples triggered by Noisepad, nothing too out of the box.

• @rad3d said:
    Got 2 new iPod touch 6s recently. Using one for ToneStack and FluxFX Play on my guitar, the other runs a light show using Luminair. No problems with Tonestack/Flux, so far. Also have 2 iPads for synths and an older iPod Touch running a setlist program. Thinking about moving one of my iPads to an iPod Touch, as well, as all the synths I'm using on that one can run on a Touch.

If you're using the Touches like synth or fx modules (which I am), they should work just fine as long as all your needed apps run on it.

Thanks rad3d, I feel encouraged knowing you've had such success using iPod touch in such a high capacity! I'm still a little nervous about just running iOS devices. So....I'm either gonna go ahead with an iPod touch along with my iPad or, part of me is thinking a hardware module might be more reliable as a backup. Trying to do away with old clunky rack modules but my nerves are getting the best of me! Can't afford to have my keys glitch out during a live performance at someone's wedding. I do love the flexibility I've had with iOS though, and a midi controller is much lighter than the rigs I used to carry around.

• @mptrin said:
    Thanks rad3d, I feel encouraged knowing you've had such success using iPod touch in such a high capacity! I'm still a little nervous about just running iOS devices. So....I'm either gonna go ahead with an iPod touch along with my iPad or, part of me is thinking a hardware module might be more reliable as a backup. Trying to do away with old clunky rack modules but my nerves are getting the best of me! Can't afford to have my keys glitch out during a live performance at someone's wedding. I do love the flexibility I've had with iOS though, and a midi controller is much lighter than the rigs I used to carry around.

The key for me with any IOS device has been to try to limit each to 2, maybe 3, efficient apps per device - and test the crap out of them in rehearsals. But I love the idea of keeping an extra iPod Touch around as a backup - ready to be swapped within a couple of minutes. I've always felt a need to keep duplicate gear around, whether it be hardware or software-based. The size and modularity of IOS makes that pretty easy.

• @rad3d said:

@mptrin said:

The key for me with any IOS device has been to try to limit each to 2, maybe 3, efficient apps per device - and test the crap out of them in rehearsals. But I love the idea of keeping an extra iPod Touch around as a backup - ready to be swapped within a couple of minutes. I've always felt a need to keep duplicate gear around, whether it be hardware or software-based. The size and modularity of IOS makes that pretty easy.

Limiting the number of apps per device makes perfect sense. The plan I had in my head was to always have the iPod touch hooked up and set to its own midi channel with one multi tone app (such as korg module) running hot. Then if my iPad starts to glitch or crashes, I could just switch my controller to the midi channel of the ip touch app and be running within seconds. Does this make sense, and is it possible?

• @mptrin said:
    The plan I had in my head was to always have the iPod touch hooked up and set to its own midi channel with one multi tone app (such as korg module) running hot. Then if my iPad starts to glitch or crashes, I could just switch my controller to the midi channel of the ip touch app and be running within seconds. Does this make sense, and is it possible?

Yep. Config would depend on how you're connecting to them (USB? Din MIDI? Interface?) but if it comes to it, you could just swap USB cables to point your controller to the iPod.

Currently I use: IGrand piano, ILectric Piano, Gallileo, Magellan, Sampletank, and Noisepad into AB and Mimix.

Korg Module sounds like a good replacement for first two apps and Galileo. The others, I believe, are all available on iPhone so you should be able to just replicate your setup.

• Seems like the iPod touch is worth a punt at its cheap price for another Linked device :)