Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is iOS9 stable yet?

Is it safe to upgrade yet, or is it a bumpy ride for music apps and compatibility issues?

Comments

• Not yet but it was reported in another thread that the 9.3 public beta fixed ths issues. I'd hold off on upgrading for now.

• edited February 2016

Thanks! I'll do that.

• last I heard, iOS 9.2.1 is still having problems with USB audio interfaces using CCK.

• edited February 2016

I haven't had any problems yet. Updated when the latest was released. What are the issues?

I did have an issue with a non certified cck, but the apple cck works fine. Maybe the problems are with people using knock offs?

I should mention I'm on a mini2

• Talking of which I gather 9.2 knocks out ithings that have been repaired with non Apple parts.

• The thing with new iOS updates for me is the version on whatever device you bought is the version maximized for that device generation.

iOS 9 on am iPad 3 or 4 may work but those iPads were made with their respective shipped versions in mind. The processor, RAM, all of it is considered for that launch.

With the problems Apple devices have with every update that fact is made crystal clear. I have an Air 2 which I have kept at 8.4.1 because of the chaos iOS 9 has played with the basic apps we all use and dig (AudioBus, Auria, etc.).

I'm sure the iPadPro and upcoming Air 3 will handle iOS 9 (or 10 by that point) with minimal issues, but earlier devices are at your risk...especially when Apple makes going back to an older version impossible.

• I think stable can be a relative term depending upon which app chains you use. My experience has been that the transition from iOS 8 to 9 has gone much smoother than from iOS 7 to iOS 8. Older devices such as non-Air iPads will struggle on iOS 9. At this point, my iPad Air 2 seems more stable on iOS 9.2 than it ever did on iOS 8.4. Updated my iPad Mini 2 to iOS 9.2 this last month as the stability seemed sufficient for me.

If you have specific setups you want to preserve, it's equally important to be careful about app updates as well.

• I still have reservations about the whole AB permissions thing. Having to approve connections is not something I want to get into right now. I'm hoping that this is fixed at some point.

• Same here, my Air 2 seems more stable at 9.2 than 8.4 :)

• The iOS 9 issues are specific to using iDevices with audio interfaces. iDevices on iOS 9 have trouble recognizing the master audio clock in an audio interface. This causes clicks/pops/latency. If you're not using an audio interface via-lightning port, you won't have this issue. It seems to be occuring with all audio interfaces.

• i have an iconnectivity audio4+ so i'm holding off t'ill it's cool to do so.

• Yep - 3 iOS 9 issues (at least) outstanding until 9.3

1.) iC audio clock master
    2.) I/O device latency
    3.) Audio cutout (may be related to other performance concerns)

Hopeful that all will be resolved in 9.3.

• I'm using 2 air 2's one on 8.4 ad other on latest and greatest and they both perform well with Akai EIE. I actually feel that the one on 9.2 has a slight edge over the 8.4. I'm only using a very narrow range of live apps so it could be just me.

• Been on 9.2 for a month now on iPad 4 - after holding out on 7.1. I haven't noticed much difference. I was worried about updating - but no regrets here

• edited February 2016

I am pretty sure that iOS 9 hogs more of the ram on my iPad Air 1st gen. Apple promised that iOS9 would improve performance and be more efficient on previous iPads just as Snow Leopard did on OSX, this did not happen for me.

• I'm on 8.2, ipad mini 2 with an audio interface. No issues .... so I guess I'll be waiting to see if the next update clears up those issues.

• anybody using a Focusrite 2i2 with iOS 9? I'm worried about :

@MusicInclusive said:
    2.) I/O device latency

that is a deal breaker, will I be in trouble if I upgrade now?

• No issues (that I know of anyway) on my iPad Mini 2

• I had the same fear of upgrading, but it is pretty solid for me also. I'm using a Sonic Port VX and the latency is just fine, undetectable. I guess using it at 128 is the best but it does put more strain on the system.
    I've also been using the battery doctor app that I usually use to clear the Ram and it's amazing how much ram it frees up. It even frees up disk space, all for free!

• I don't know if I'd call it stable. Probably not really. Depends on the apps and everything else. I keep hitting snags most times I try doing things that involve multiple apps and usb devices. Audio cutting out, lost connections, apps crashing, Audiobus crashing, Audiobus errors... I wish I could say it just works but unfortunately the way things stand now I'm too scared to use these things live at all.

• @Hmtx said:
    anybody using a Focusrite 2i2 with iOS 9? I'm worried about :

@MusicInclusive said:
    2.) I/O device latency

I'm using a 2i2 with iOS 9.2 on an ipad3

I don't have any issues that I didn't have on 8.x. Some occasional "restarts" of the 2i2. Which also happened in previous versions.
    No latency that I've noticed.

• @Jakersjaw said:

@Hmtx said:

@MusicInclusive said:
    2.) I/O device latency

I don't have any issues that I didn't have on 8.x. Some occasional "restarts" of the 2i2. Which also happened in previous versions.

I have a Scarlett 2i2 that I bought in 2011. But I can never get it to work with my iPad Mini 2. I'm running iOS 9.2 and the Apple CCK. From what I recall, the iPad displays that the device takes up too much power. I was connected to a powered hub as well. Do you have any suggestions?

• @Hmtx said:

@MusicInclusive said:
    2.) I/O device latency

I've had some crackling with mine. I'd wait for 9.3.

• edited February 2016

@Rich303 said:

@Jakersjaw said:

@Hmtx said:

@MusicInclusive said:
    2.) I/O device latency

I have a Scarlett 2i2 that I bought in 2011. But I can never get it to work with my iPad Mini 2. I'm running iOS 9.2 and the Apple CCK. From what I recall, the iPad displays that the device takes up too much power. I was connected to a powered hub as well. Do you have any suggestions?

This one's been working for me for a few years now with no problems. iPad 2, iPad Air 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-2-0-4-Port-White/dp/B000NB05MO

• I have a Scarlett 2i2 that I bought in 2011. But I can never get it to work with my iPad Mini 2. I'm running iOS 9.2 and the Apple CCK. From what I recall, the iPad displays that the device takes up too much power. I was connected to a powered hub as well. Do you have any suggestions?

Well, the only issue I've had is when u used a 1.0 sub hub. That didn't work. I'm using a 2.0 now and power it with a powerbank. If I plug it in to a wall socket it will make noises. Did you update the firmware in the 2i2?

• @Jakersjaw

@Jakersjaw said:

Well, the only issue I've had is when u used a 1.0 sub hub. That didn't work. I'm using a 2.0 now and power it with a powerbank. If I plug it in to a wall socket it will make noises. Did you update the firmware in the 2i2?

How does one upgrade the 2i2's firmware?

• edited February 2016

How does one upgrade the 2i2's firmware?

Ehm, guess I'm mistaken. Just tought that I did it when I bought it. Guess it was the usb driver for windows. :#

• edited February 2016

@Jakersjaw said:

I have some cheapo USB 2.0 hub. It works with everything else including my Korg padKontrol. There's no firmware update to the 2i2 that I'm aware of. All I've seen is a Windows driver which I don't believe actually updates the firmware. I'm on a Mac. But I can always fire up my old PC and install it from there if it'll help.

• i just hate how in 9 the apps are overlapped when you double hit the home button. http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/16/first-look-ios-9s-totally-redesigned-app-switcher

So annoying when you want to just pan across a bunch of apps and see the settings or what patch is loaded etc. and not actually switch apps.