Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Solo violin or Cello app?

Hi
i did a nice piano piece just now and I would like to combine it with a violin or Cello dont know what fits best
i have some strings Sounds in my varies apps but no real Solo instrument
does anyone have any Suggestion?
and IT should be able to recognize a usb keyboard like my piano app does

Comments

• Maybe Notion for iPad!

• Thumbjam is always there when you need it, and if you want to go fancy isymphony is really good, but it arrange for you

Notion is also an option but you have to be at ease with classical notation

• The cello in TJ sounds particularly good.

• edited February 2016

@rickwaugh said:
    The cello in TJ sounds particularly good.

It is. However it's hard to argue with iSymphonic (to these cloth ears).

• I went for grand and bought the isymphonic and im just freaked out they also have a harp wich is great and I was alleays looking for

• edited February 2016

@FeeMalEisBaer said:
    I went for grand and bought the isymphonic and im just freaked out they also have a harp wich is great and I was alleays looking for

I do think it's a beautiful collection. Costs money, takes space, but is quality.

EDIT: Pretty much a description of Mrs. Goodyear actually, bless her :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@FeeMalEisBaer said:
    I went for grand and bought the isymphonic and im just freaked out they also have a harp wich is great and I was alleays looking for

I do think it's a beautiful collection. Costs money, takes space, but is quality.

EDIT: Pretty much a description of Mrs. Goodyear actually, bless her :)

That made me laugh, I needed that today after paying for a 12 year old's braces, which cost almost the same as my car... Could be much worse though.

Glad the OP got good sounds that work though.

• Garageband iOS. It amazes me no one even considers it, since it has some of the most impressive (and expressive) strings sections ever made (and not only for iOS).

• Garageband would be considered a whole lot more if Apple allowed it to be used as an AB input. There are many great sounds and smart instruments, but no easy way to get them out into other apps. I presume Apple wants you to use GB as the central hub for music, but in fact their decisions on this end up with it being overlooked a lot of the time.

• @PhilW said:
    Garageband would be considered a whole lot more if Apple allowed it to be used as an AB input.

Simple. As. That.

• @PhilW said:
    Garageband would be considered a whole lot more if Apple allowed it to be used as an AB input. There are many great sounds and smart instruments, but no easy way to get them out into other apps. I presume Apple wants you to use GB as the central hub for music, but in fact their decisions on this end up with it being overlooked a lot of the time.

It's easy enough to record the sounds inside GB and export the Audio to any DAW as a workaround.
    GB eats quite a lot of RAM so it would probably not work nicely together with other DAWs anyway.

• @Samu said:
    It's easy enough to record the sounds inside GB and export the Audio to any DAW as a workaround.
    GB eats quite a lot of RAM so it would probably not work nicely together with other DAWs anyway.

This.

• P.S.: here's a song I made with (old) GB iOS: pay attention to the strings section:

• P.P.S.: and this one: the strings were made with Garageband iOS, and the rest of the song in Logic:

• For solo violin or cello i also didn´t found any good thing on iOS because it just doesn´t exist yet but for most expressive playing within iOS i prefer ThumbJam because you can control tremolo and vibrato via gestures which works fine for me. And that it is a multi channel app is another good thing. It needs some proper EQing and a good FX on top but then it´s very usable. Still very very far away from other tools but they cost 10-20 times more ;)
    Of course a very good SFZ, EXS instrument could do the job in the Lyra (Auria Pro) sampler or other iOS sample player.
    Garage Band has indeed very good sounding string sections but they are not expressive enough to play. It´s more kind of "hard" switches.

• I recorded this using Thumbjam into Auria for the cello and shakuhachi flute. Sounds pretty darn fine to me. Thumbjam and Drumjam, aside from being great little packages on their own, are excellent repos of sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/rickwaugh/soft-aire-remastered

• I don't own it yet but can GeoShred make this kind of noise. I have heard it is pretty expressive in use.

• No, GeoShred is more pure synth with guitar overtones to it. There are stringish sounds in it, but not if what you want is a real string sound.

• I'm a fan of Thumbjam, but it doesn't begin to compare with GB's strings section. If you already play any bowed instrument, no other iOS app comes will give you an experience closer to the real thing. As for myself, I actually prefer the results I have writing the string parts with GB using the bult-in fretless fingerboard than what I get with my keyboard using Desktop sample libraries.

• @rickwaugh said:
    No, GeoShred is more pure synth with guitar overtones to it. There are stringish sounds in it, but not if what you want is a real string sound.

Fair enough. I was just wondering whether the extra control might get @Cinebient closer to his ideal.

• @theconnactic said:
    I'm a fan of Thumbjam, but it doesn't begin to compare with GB's strings section. If you already play any bowed instrument, no other iOS app comes will give you an experience closer to the real thing. As for myself, I actually prefer the results I have writing the string parts with GB using the bult-in fretless fingerboard than what I get with my keyboard using Desktop sample libraries.

Thanks for the comments about TJ, but I just want to mention that it has no (built-in) string section instruments, it only has solo bowed strings... so the comparison to GB isn't quite apples-to-apples. The original poster seemed to be looking for solo strings, which I agree are very hard to find good examples of on iOS... every example (including TJ) has some weakness or downside to it, and performing them realistically on most controllers/surfaces is difficult. I'm hoping to try to tackle that hole sometime using a mix of sampling and physical modeling, but who knows what will come of it!

• PS.: @Cinebient, with GB smart strings fretless view you can get vibratos and glissandos exactly the same way you would with a real bowed instrument. You can achieve realistic stacattos and palm mutings too, as well as crescendos and decrescendos.

PPS.: @sonosaurus, GB smart strings does offer solo strings, and you can achieve very realistic results with it, on par or mostly better than you could with a regular keyboard and a Desktop sample player. So yes, the comparison is appropriate. Please, I don't mean any bashing, since I am a fan of your work and own both DrumJam and ThumbJam. But things are just the way I described: with the smart strings, Apple nailed it.

• edited February 2016

PPPS.: @sonosaurus, wish you all luck in "tackling the hole": the best "virtual" e-guitar sound I ever got came not from a sampler, but from Logic's Sculpture modelling synth. Perhaps that's also the way for bowed instruments indeed. Here's my result with Sculpture's guitars (the theme and leads are made with a real guitar and amp, but all the rhythm and riffs were made with Sculpture):

• @theconnactic said:
    PS.: @Cinebient, with GB smart strings fretless view you can get vibratos and glissandos exactly the same way you would with a real bowed instrument. You can achieve realistic stacattos and palm mutings too, as well as crescendos and decrescendos.

PPS.: @sonosaurus, GB smart strings does offer solo strings, and you can achieve very realistic results with it, on par or mostly better than you could with a regular keyboard and a Desktop sample player. So yes, the comparison is appropriate. Please, I don't mean any bashing, since I am a fan of your work and own both DrumJam and ThumbJam. But things are just the way I described: with the smart strings, Apple nailed it.

Just re-evaluated it, and you're right it does have some nice performance features in the "Notes" mode... but in careful listening it seems that they are still not purely solo, I would call them small sections of single instrument types :)

The one thing that all these sample-based strings have in common is the disctinctive unnatural formant shifting when doing pitchbend/glissandi more than a semitone. That's one of the things that need to be addressed in future solutions on iOS, especially for solo bowed strings...

• Yes, the unnatural pitchbend issue. We were just discussing that in a separate thread recently. Physical modelling seems like the way to go for that.

• edited February 2016

@theconnactic said:
    PS.: @Cinebient, with GB smart strings fretless view you can get vibratos and glissandos exactly the same way you would with a real bowed instrument. You can achieve realistic stacattos and palm mutings too, as well as crescendos and decrescendos.

I tryed that and maybe it´s the lack of experience with use of Grarage Band but for me it comes nowhere near to the experience with some sample libraries i have on my desktop. But that´s of course a whole other league with perfect scripting and 50 or morre articulations etc.etc.
    Indeed is Garage Band great for some "acoustic" extra in iOS productions and there is nothing wrong with it for the price too ;)

• edited February 2016

@sonosaurus said:

@theconnactic said:

Just re-evaluated it, and you're right it does have some nice performance features in the "Notes" mode... but in careful listening it seems that they are still not purely solo, I would call them small sections of single instrument types :)

The one thing that all these sample-based strings have in common is the disctinctive unnatural formant shifting when doing pitchbend/glissandi more than a semitone. That's one of the things that need to be addressed in future solutions on iOS, especially for solo bowed strings...

Well, it's your turn then..... :)
    IOS also needs finally a proper scripting tool because that makes a huge part of those solo instruments.

• You're welcome. It's rare to listen someone these days playing a steel string guitar with a classical approach, like Dilermando Reis did.