Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

'Auria Link' or 'Ableton Link', if we are seriously thinking it into future!

edited January 2016 in General App Discussion

Hi,

If you really like something about iPad music apps and hoping there is a way to integrate all music apps, I mean you guys supporting apps to be whole new way to have all ipad tempo synch ready! Why you guy don't think deeply to have a real iPad DAW environment to be linking without midi synch problems!

I suggest you have an opinion not for the sake of PC/Mac music production, but for all iPad apps to have a proper way to link together! Certainly, it must be a DAW alike sponsor to control this environment!

I am just wondering if Auria Pro is for this seat to be taken! Letting not only for Auria Pro to control 2 iPad, also let it to be the Master for apps integration. If you guys do not support this view, it means you are still slaved yourself to the PC/Mac! You are the iPad users at this forum, you have your right and opinion to refresh your own music apps production, please, consider it seriously into the future, if that future is for hand hold device age!

I think to be able to use iPad as a driving machine, and have iPad to control the already aged PC/Mac to let iPad to the future driving force, you must support iPad music apps! Certainly, I am willing to let Auria to be the master for sponsoring job to do this. It is Auria's developer Rim partly helping us to shape our music working future, I certainly do not support the view for Ableton Link to coming into iPad as a solely the way to link! Thinking about WIST, it is a waste, it let Korg for this unfinished service, you guys always suggest Korg for this and that, does Korg serious serve you as quick and satisfied as you want to? I doubt it from my time taken with iOS music! We certainly do not wish giant company people who do not have closely care on how you play out what you desire for. From my music apps using, I think Auria master,Rim, does care how to make iPad music more friendly to you. Why not say a word about how you wish Rim to develop Auria Link further to shape our iPad using destiny!

If you are also developers for apps developing, I real appreciate you thinking deeply and consider Auria is a better environments for coalition!

@WaveMachineLabs, Rim, I give you a shot and take this chance, I wish you all the best as I am really think you are the serious contender and wishing you successes on all aspects, I don't want you lose this chance to let Auria Pro to be iPad DAW king!

You guys' opinions count!

Comments

• edited January 2016

How about Auria providing LINK support and not worry about monarchies or dealing with reinventing the wheel?

• WIST vs Ableton Link? It's simular to the Video scene, with Sony Betamax vs VHS. VHS won. Midi clock on IOS is not very reliable. Korg tried it with WIST, & it didn't catch on. Ableton brought out Link, & it's working better than the others as a standard midi clock which is stable. It also communicates with MAC & PC. It's a solid standard concept. I hope Rim will enable Link to Auria eventually, so when your apps are set up, you press record on Auria Pro, and it all records perfect time into Pro? I did see on the Harmonic Dogs "MultiTrak Daw" forum that the dev is looking into adding it. So we will see?

• @Paul said:
    How about Auria providing LINK support and not worry about monarchies or dealing with reinventing the wheel?

This. It's been discussed in Auria forums, Rim has said he is planning to review the SDK, so why not use a standard that seems good and is cross platform?

• @Paul said:

I certainly have a thought about this, my direct reflection is:

1. I don't use PC/Mac for music production

2. I am totally using iPad apps for music purposes

3. I care for my apps integration, not PC/Mac soft integration

4. It is not a reinventing wheel case, I want my apps to be controlled with my favorite iPad DAW

5. iPad music apps really need a Master to be linking together

6. I support developers, I don't like super giant music corporation services

7. I certainly do appreciate Audiobus and Auria Pro to work together, therefore, the idea is for these 2 iPad masters to appreciated each other.

8. iPad is for the future age, I do not want the best iPad music industry to be other platform to be raped by other platforms mechanism. That means I totally support iPad music production only!

9. If there is a need for PC/Mac software support, let them come to iPad apps, not iPad apps follow them, this is the most important consideration! Sorry, I do not appreciate Link as a way, Most talented small developers are with iPad, We already have cheaper means for music, I do not want those developers follow giant's nose! It will destroy this market pricing lead.

10. Auria's developer, Rim, capable of doing professional services and friendly as you all know his hard working. I do not think my future should be controlled by other platform King for iPad. Their knowledge about iPad using certainly no better than iPad developers solely for iPad music purposes.

I am subjective on my opinions, sorry, I don't think it is a reinventing, but the fact that this place is for iPad music coalition to have real our own kingdom!

• Don't forget one thing! iPad music apps has not yet have a real coalition. Ableton comes into here when they saw a hole here! This is still the young age for your decision, if too late, your apps master will be Ableton, you all has a convenience at present when thing goes, but think deeper later on, before your apps raped already! My words dirty, but my heart understand the map strategically!

• edited January 2016

@Kaikoo here are my responses to the points you've raised:

1. LINK doesn't require you to use a PC or Mac. It works on iOS devices.

2. You can still do this using apps with LINK support.

3. Once again LINK doesn't require integration with Mac or PC to use only on iOS devices.

4. If Auria adds LINK support as others on the forum have written about, then you can use your favorite DAW to control your apps. If you're asking Rim, the app developer to come up with an SDK to sync all iOS apps this will replicate the functionality that the LINK SDK already provides and the term reinventing the wheel would be an appropriate description.

5. Do iPad apps really need a master to link them together or is this something you want? Whatever response to that question, LINK can provide sync to whatever app has a developer who chooses to implement LINK support.

6. Apple is a much much larger corporation than Ableton and Apple takes 30% of all app sales. Ableton doesn't charge app developers to use their SDK for LINK as far as I know.

7. Audiobus already supports LINK, Auria supports Audiobus, and once again the Auria developer is looking into LINK support. Audiobus is only viable because other developers choose to add Audiobus support to their apps so it doesn't seem to me that Audiobus isn't a master app but rather a way to integrate apps.

8. I don't know if iPad will be for the future age or not. Rape is non-consensual sex. Apple has allowed LINK support for apps on iOS and individual developers can each decide whether or not to add LINK support; therefore since this is all consensual to characterize LINK as rape is not accurate. Since you support only iPad music production only, does this mean you will not use or support apps that work on other platforms or use SDKs that work on other platforms? Have you decided not to use any apps that provide LINK support? Have you decided not to use MIDI anymore since it can be used on other platforms? Will you stop using Korg apps because they are from a large corporation that supports software which runs on other platforms?

9. With the roll out of LINK, Ableton included a number of iOS developers who added LINK support to their apps even before Ableton Live had LINK. Just because a large company develops a piece of music technology, doesn't mean it comes at the cost of small developers. Many times, these technologies can benefit small developers and companies too. A review of the history of MIDI is an example of this. A technology created by a large company doesn't mean it destroys the options for smaller companies either, they're not obligated to be led around by the nose of the company who developed the technology or that smaller companies need to raise their prices. In many cases it means smaller companies can have lower prices because they don't have to spend their time and money creating some basic functionality and can focus on the more innovative aspects of their products.

10. If Rim is a professional capable developer will a decision by him to implement LINK support represent a betrayal of the iOS KIngdom? Is sync something unique to iOS? Did the Audiobus teams involvement in the introduction of LINK support by Ableton mean that Ableton might have some insight into the needs of iOS musicians?

Are the developers of Audiobus traitors to the iOS kingdom? Are people who use more than iOS to create music traitors to iOS? Is the Audiobus forum exclusively for the use of people who produce and only produce music using iOS exclusively? How many of the people on the Audiobus forum are interested in creating an iOS only music production kingdom? Speaking for myself, I have no interest in the formation of such a kingdom.

• @Paul said:

3. Once again LINK doesn't require integration with Mac or PC to use only on iOS devices.

4. If Auria adds LINK support as others on the forum have written about, then you can use your favorite DAW to control your apps. If you're asking Rim, the app developer to come up with an SDK to sync all iOS apps this will replicate the functionality that the LINK SDK already provides and the term reinventing the wheel would be an appropriate description.

5. Do iPad apps really need a master to link them together or is this something you want? Whatever response to that question, LINK can provide sync to whatever app has a developer who chooses to implement LINK support.

I understood!

All tricks later on all depends beginning! Yes, there will be more sweet and deserts to come! It is business! Users just follow conveniences, but the potential influences will be prevailing soon, that is the consequences! Yes, that is why I urge you to have a courageous words for iPad developers! that is what I am stress on, not because I hate Ableton! Please understand that!

• To get a standard, a spec that everyone will follow, you need someone to take the lead and a lot of cooperation. Is it realistic to expect that a lone developer like Rim can and will take on that initiative? A standard, to serve everyone, should be industry wide and not just iOS. That will get recognition from all major producers of hardware and software. LINK could maybe be large enough to make it a reality. Once it's a standard, it no longer matters who started it. Then iOS developers have something truly useful.

• @lovadamusic said:
    To get a standard, a spec that everyone will follow, you need someone to take the lead and a lot of cooperation. Is it realistic to expect that a lone developer like Rim can and will take on that initiative? A standard, to serve everyone, should be industry wide and not just iOS. That will get recognition from all major producers of hardware and software. LINK could maybe be large enough to make it a reality. Once it's a standard, it no longer matters who started it. Then iOS developers have something truly useful.

Thank you, no defense. Keep going everyone!

Remember, your opinion counts! Once all said, I think it will be hard for a change for all developers!

• @Kaikoo I think you're making up a problem that doesn't really exist. Ableton are not raping iOS apps with their Link technology. And it doesn't matter who started it as long as it will be widely adopted. No one forces anyone to use ableton software either in order to be able to use Link. So I think there's really no reason to start another version of Link that will be iOS only. Things will be just fine with Ableton Link.

• @Kaikoo said:

@Paul said:

I understood!

All tricks later on all depends beginning! Yes, there will be more sweet and deserts to come! It is business! Users just follow conveniences, but the potential influences will be prevailing soon, that is the consequences! Yes, that is why I urge you to have a courageous words for iPad developers! that is what I am stress on, not because I hate Ableton! Please understand that!

I have added to and edited my response significantly since your response.

• Yes, the development of a standard especially benefits both the consumer and the smaller companies. Otherwise a big producer can keep everything proprietary. In the old days before MIDI, you tended to stick to one brand. After MIDI, the smallest company could make a successful product because it could fit well into your rig. It changed the music world.

It's great marketing for Ableton to offer Link. They want people buying more into making music on their devices, and that sells more Live. A smart win-win situation.

• Auria Pro needs Ableton link technology. It would be wonderful if it worked as good as Steinberg's VST or AU technology. I would hope that RIM and other developers would incorporate the technology into their music creation apps. Ableton has beat everyone else to the punch they have changed the game forever. lets link it all up and make some great music. Imagine if you could also link apps within a D.A.W. and then link D.A.W. to D.A.W. The possibilities are endless! Apple just need to create IOS devices with higher RAM storage etc.

• After waiting all this time for something to finally sync iOS apps properly, I think we're just fine with Link - and I'd prefer the technology not be specific to a single platform.

While I don't use my PC as much as I used to, having a solid sync technology between iOS and other platforms when I do use them is preferred.

Ableton is great company, and I hope Link won't be their only contribution to iOS.

• edited January 2016

@lovadamusic said:

It's great marketing for Ableton to offer Link. They want people buying more into making music on their devices, and that sells more Live. A smart win-win situation.

That is what I am saying!

Don't let the iPad developers opportunities gone to Korg and Ableton wallet into the future! This is the time for iPad developers to chat to each others to have our iPad own way to link tempo and midi well!

• edited January 2016

@AudioGus said:
    My $.02...

That sounds like US$2000 dollar decision or a pirate one!

By the way, Auria Link already there for long time. Ableton has just Korg Gadget to support it's using, nothing special about wheel! So I am favoring There be more Link method there! MTS Link is also a good candidate too!

• @Kaikoo said:

Don't let the iPad developers opportunities gone to Korg and Ableton wallet into the future! This is the time for iPad developers to chat to each others to have our iPad own way to link tempo and midi well!

I want a standard that works, and carries enough weight that it gets adopted, if it is cross platform that is even better as it is likely to be adopted by more developers. Ableton is offering that. I don' t know that one created by an iOS specific app would have been adopted this much already.

I think this is a non issue and almost everyone in this thread sees no need for a new, separate iOS specific sync standard - just my thoughts....

• @skoptic said:

@Kaikoo said:

I want a standard that works, and carries enough weight that it gets adopted, if it is cross platform that is even better as it is likely to be adopted by more developers. Ableton is offering that. I don' t know that one created by an iOS specific app would have been adopted this much already.

I think this is a non issue and almost everyone in this thread sees no need for a new, separate iOS specific sync standard - just my thoughts....

The truth for me is if I have options I would not choose that route. There are many no need cases in music apps, multiple synths and fx apps out there covering each other! ;)

• @kaikoo I very much admire the spirit behind your post which I take to be "Ableton never gave a shit about iOS as a platform—or those who use it— before so let's have 'one of our own' create the sync tech and let's all get behind that". It's just not that simple. Not the tech and not the adoption. We're it simple, one of our own (namely the AB team) would have already done it.

Ableton isn't going to get rich from LINK. At least not on iOS. I suspect Rim will make more money adopting the SDK and continuing to do what he does best.

On that note, do we know if any iOS DAWs have been granted access to the LINK SDK?

• edited January 2016

@syrupcore said:
    @kaikoo I very much admire the spirit behind your post which I take to be "Ableton never gave a shit about iOS as a platform—or those who use it— before so let's have 'one of our own' create the sync tech and let's all get behind that". It's just not that simple. Not the tech and not the adoption. We're it simple, one of our own (namely the AB team) would have already done it.

Ableton isn't going to get rich from LINK. At least not on iOS. I suspect Rim will make more money adopting the SDK and continuing to do what he does best.

On that note, do we know if any iOS DAWs have been granted access to the LINK SDK?

Thank you to the support for iOS!

Hi guys, please support iOS only version!

I am telling you seriously, because there will be more competitions to come from other platform ; Android, particularly' to come to play multi-platforms games! If you guys and developers take it as 'no influences', I will not buy iPad and iPad apps as a sole means to make music fun! That is why I support Audiobus and iOS DAWs. The developers (Audiobus developer and other iOS developers) decisions and supports will have big change at this moment.

If you lose iOS version only, you will see 'Android-iOS Link', you will see all developers has gain more options not to choose our iOS world as a way of doing apps! And that is messy to come!

Bingo!

• This seems unnecessarily partisan... I thought this was about a sync standard, but it appears there is more!

• edited January 2016

@skoptic said:
    This seems unnecessarily partisan... I thought this was about a sync standard, but it appears there is more!

Yes, business made this way! So don't take sweet convenience as free granted joy and follow blindly! Particular, the Audiobus and iOS DAWs developers!

There are forces behind the moves!!!!!!!!!

• @Kaikoo said:

@skoptic said:
    This seems unnecessarily partisan... I thought this was about a sync standard, but it appears there is more!

Yes, business made this way! So don't take sweet convenience as free granted joy and follow blindly! Particular, the Audiobus and iOS DAWs developers!

My thoughts are that standards work best when universally adopted. I'm not saying that link is perfect, but it seems preferable to a platform specific protocol by a lesser known developer. We should be embracing cross platform innovation - I'm surprised by the sentiment!

• edited January 2016

skoptic said:
    @Kaikoo said:

@skoptic said:

My thoughts are that standards work best when universally adopted. I'm not saying that link is perfect, but it seems preferable to a platform specific protocol by a lesser known developer. We should be embracing cross platform innovation - I'm surprised by the sentiment!

But letting that standards made by iOS developers, letting other platform software makers come to iOS standards formed here by iOS users and iOS developers!

This is what the main point I against the Ableton Link! Trust me, more apps to adopt Ableton method, the more you and Audiobus developer lose the controls!

Haha, I gonna make my decision soon with Android system and their Android music apps if you guys want to see chaos! :#

• Relax, Ableton link is fine. There is no need for yet another sync. It works well and there is no danger at all. If there turns out to be any problem with Ableton Link there is still time to develop something else. But there is no reason to get that excited now. It's a waste of energy and time arguing about this. Let's make some music instead.

• Well I'm lost, I don't see how Ableton providing a cross platform solution to a problem they wanted solved is a brazen power grab. They should ideally open it up (publish the spec & reference code), but otherwise I don't see any obvious mendacity.

• @JiggyWig said:
    Well I'm lost, I don't see how Ableton providing a cross platform solution to a problem they wanted solved is a brazen power grab. They should ideally open it up (publish the spec & reference code), but otherwise I don't see any obvious mendacity.

Great point too!

• edited January 2016

@JiggyWig said:
    Well I'm lost, I don't see how Ableton providing a cross platform solution to a problem they wanted solved is a brazen power grab. They should ideally open it up (publish the spec & reference code), but otherwise I don't see any obvious mendacity.

Better not(open the code) ,or devs will start tweaking the code and incopabilities may occur between apps. At least not for now ,so every one follows Link the same way.

• Publishing the spec and a ref. implementation is fairly normal for something you want to be a standard. I see the logic in withholding for a while to make sure there's plenty officially sanctioned code out there first, but If you leave it too long there will likely people reimplementing it by reverse engineering anyway, and if you do publish almost everyone will just drop the ref code in, nobody wants to make work for themselves. IMO.