Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning drum kits?

Looking for more acoustic drums for Patterning import. Not electronic, Patterning comes with "stacks and stacks" of those, but not many good acoustic ones. What is anyone using and where can I get them?

Comments

• I've put a few nice kits together using some Simon Phillips samples.

Unfortunately, not able to share the samples...

• @Tritonman said:
    Looking for more acoustic drums for Patterning import. Not electronic, Patterning comes with "stacks and stacks" of those, but not many good acoustic ones. What is anyone using and where can I get them?

There was one shared months ago by Jason Donnelly, aka DJ Puzzle. I don't know if it's still available.

• edited January 2016

@Seangarland said:

There was one shared months ago by Jason Donnelly, aka DJ Puzzle. I don't know if it's still available.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4gg7yet5ww1id8/wood.onpd?dl=0

But not acoustic drums to my ears.

And don't forget:

http://thesoundtestroom.com/29-100-free-kits-for-patterning-for-ipad-and-how-to-easy-install/

• @fjcblanco said:

@Seangarland said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4gg7yet5ww1id8/wood.onpd?dl=0

But not acoustic drums to my ears.

And don't forget:

http://thesoundtestroom.com/29-100-free-kits-for-patterning-for-ipad-and-how-to-easy-install/

I found the set I was referring to. He shared the individual instrument wav's, which can be imported separately and saved as a set.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/igu2fmehw6gxv13/AAB4Qz2u1OI-cCbxnja7IWT4a?dl=0

• Is there a physical modelling synth that can make a fair go of acoustic thwacks and claps and smacks, which sound like actual nature being hit?

• edited January 2016

@u0421793
    You might try Zedsynth, Laplace...the above kits on TSTR, from Pants of Death, include 4 kits from Laplace that are pretty impressive

• edited January 2016

@Littlewoodg said:
    @u0421793
    You might try Zedsynth, Laplace...the above kits on TSTR, from Pants of Death, include 4 kits from Laplace that are pretty impressive

The more I use Laplace the less convinced I am that I should have bought it. It’s interesting, but I think there’s a lot lacking in terms of physical modelling synthesis control. It’s looks like a physical modelling synth from a distance, but up close it’s not quite what I expected.

However, I can answer my own question. Spring sound. It’s a physical modelling synth that isn’t short of parameters, but assumes everything is a spring. Although I was initially looking for other forms of impulse driver and other kinds of resonator, maybe that’s not a bad assumption — everything is a spring. Time for me to spend more time with it (I’ve spent time with it before, so it’s not totally baffling (and I understand physical modelling well enough (and have a VL-70m up in the attic))), but this time, you know, RTFM.

• edited January 2016

@u0421793 Yes- forgot all about Spring Sound!
    I dug into Laplace after posting the recommendation, realized the atonal/omnitonal sounds for perc would be a huge programming job in that synth...ultimately fruitless. Ive installed and deleted Laplace many times, I think I like the idea of it, but...

Also dug into ZedSynth with better luck, he's got an amazing preset called "Modwheel drum kit" with more of that whack thunk clunk thing going on...problem with Zed at this point, having recommended it here and also on the Zed thread yesterday, is that Zed currently lacks virtual midi, so no sequencing via DAWs..wrote dev about his midi

Have you had any use for your VL-70 these days? I saw some after market chip upgrades at one point, Patchman Turbo Something?

Yes RTFM, I need that reminder. I'll admit in my nerdness sometimes I jus love TFM...I even R it sometimes

Per your note here Spring Sound is back on the devices..universal, midi happy, great sounds...
    Thanks for this reminder...great tool

• @Littlewoodg ZedSynth responds to virtual MIDI sent out from MIDI apps (e.g. Fugue Machine and SP Electro).

• edited January 2016

@Paul that's a step in the right direction, gave up hope after zero luck with direct control via DAW...but now you've given me hope for a Genome/AB/MTS trifecta...will report

• @Littlewoodg some apps like ZedSynth don't receive virtual MIDI via their own port but listen to virtual MIDI sent out by other apps so if you set the MIDI sending app to send out MIDI via its own port (e.g. Fugue Machine MIDI Out) then apps like ZedSynth will respond. An app like Midiflow can create a connection between apps where you have an app that only listens and an app that only sends to the virtual MIDI port of another app. In this case you would send MIDI to a virtual port in Midiflow and then have Midiflow send MIDI out through one of its virtual ports which the receiving MIDI app will listen and respond to.

• edited January 2016

@Paul
    I've used midi flow to do that very thing with synths in the past (midi flow really helped BM2 to play with favorite synths). I've gotten somewhat spoiled in terms of limiting the number of apps needed to make basic things work...or I've gotten irritable with all the mishigas...

Meanwhile Genome/AB/MTS, made it happen...wouldn't have thought to try if you hadn't shared the Fugue machine report, many thanks!

@anickt mentioned that modstep also sequenced Zed, but running those two relatively cpu hungry apps with anything else that is also relatively hungry (Auria, Cubasis) has not worked for me very well, especially if I want to hear two instruments in play together while recording them...

• edited January 2016

@Littlewoodg said:

Have you had any use for your VL-70 these days?

No, since I got married 15+ years ago I’ve now found I’ve no use for anything hard.

• edited January 2016

@Paul
    Follow up, on the AB/Genome/MTS setup with Zed, it's only possible to sequence Zed by itself, In spite of its channel selectivity, it receives all channels sent by Genome...midi bridge or flow, might be the ticket, if I want to run a synth alongside for multi sequencing, multi recording into MTS. Bleh, this is the kind of thing that bums me out about iOS sometimes...

@u0421793 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Have you had any use for your VL-70 these days?

No, since I got married 15+ years ago I’ve now found I’ve no use for anything hard.

I know what you mean, iOS is plenty hard by itself...