Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IOS is SO "Punk"!

We have a contrarian streak..Like people who take up bass as opposed to guitar..Often has nothing to do with low notes....Often it's because we wanna be different...IOS is rebellious..And we're committed to our contrairianism.
Laptops are more "guitar " and "piano".
IOS is more " drums" and "bass". So much more " punk".

Comments

• I'd say iOS is more Post Punk. More creative than Punk, full of ideas but still searching for direction :)

• I don't wanna be that different. Apple tells me what to do, and if I don't like it, tough.

• My experience has been that iOS is capable of creating all sorts of music with limitations imposed by it's hardware such as the number of audio tracks you can run simultaneously. Perhaps more traditional music can be more prone to issues with iOS in terms of sync issues whereas punk was more live based so sync tends to be less of an issue but then again it's not too difficult to add stuff to your iOS setup and get no sound at all which certainly undermines the spontaneity of punk if you're having to mind your Ps and Qs while creating music.

• iOS is for wussy consumers. When someone smashes an iPad on stage, Paul Simonon style, then maybe we can talk about iOS being punk.

• edited January 2016

Interesting to think about iOS music and punk at the same time. The punks I knew would've smashed my iPad by now - the first time they got the "no sound at all" surprise...but then they're all dead...one guy I wonder about, old school chum, had a couple bands that are still talked about, became a legendary producer engineer of bands even more legendary than his own... his ethos making other people's records, as I understood it, was ultra dry to the extreme that he sought to keep cable runs the absolute shortest. Hated the de rigeur reverb/slap that everyone else thought was a requirement. The room tone was what ever it was and that was it...I wonder if has anything at all to do with computer music. Haven't talked to him since undergrad, kind of a hero to me now.
    The thing about the really smart ones I knew in that scene, they might not be the guy with the tech, but they would know the guy who had the tech (and knew how to use it) and they'd put that guy to work...

• Punk and what followed also made use of what was available, mixed and matched, shoved things in the mix to see what would come out. The just do it attitude. Grab some apps, see what comes out the other end.

Pretty much what I do now. No more worries about bits and hertz. No more worries about separating audio from mains cables. No more caring if it's the best program for the job, just get on with it. Does such and such app sound like the real thing? Who cares, I only care what comes out of the speakers.

If something does not work, well hey it was fun trying.

iPads would look better built into wood bodies and have guitar like necks with midi controllers on :)

• edited January 2016

@Fruitbat1919
    Right you are. From now on whenever I see those really built out iPad cases, the really thick shockproof/water proof rubber ones I'll think of punk iOS music. Your idea of wood is even better, a little charred maybe...
    @Telstar5 ive got to thank you for starting this (even as I'm probably killing the thread like I often do) it got me to email my old school chum.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @Fruitbat1919
    Right you are. From now on whenever I see those really built out iPad cases, the really thick shockproof/water proof rubber ones I'll think of punk iOS music. Wood would be even better, a little charred maybe...

Rubber Bondage iPad cases B)

• Hip Hop = Punk.

Therefore, MPC is punk.

iOS is more Cavebat.

• Loved Punk, but it was mostly badly played rock and roll with a ripped up clothing vernier....maybe some hate of the establishment thrown in. However much I try, my badly played dance beats mixed with late seventies, early eighties electronic stuff thrown in will never have the attitude of Punk. Why? Because I'm too old and lazy now to fight anything. Tits to it all :p

• I'm in your camp @Fruitbat1919, but I'd still love to hear people's versions of iOS Punk.

• @funjunkie27 said:
    I'm in your camp @Fruitbat1919, but I'd still love to hear people's versions of iOS Punk.

What we need is improved stability, so that the iPad can become a better live instrument. At the moment, it is ok set up to do a few things live, but changing setups live rarely goes smoothly.

We also need that guitar iPad setup and apps that use the screen to play, but show video or stills on the screen. Imagine holding a guitar shaped iPad over your head with a pic of the middle finger standing proud. We could have plug in necks that are like a guitar players pedal board. Press a button and the video from the front cam is sent to a large video monitor.....damn I've just gone from Punk to MTV hell :o

• For some reason, GeoShred, Thumbjam, and TC-11 strike me as good punk candidates....the ability to play more as a live instrument, I imagine, but getting them to trigger the right sounds would be the key.

Agreed that the stability is still a bit off, particularly as you add more to the mix, and going too tech seems to be off the mark a bit :smiley:

• Sorry but I really can't see your point. I don't think Apple is very punk at all, quite the opposite. And a true punk wouldn't ever buy expensive iDevices either. Also I never chose to use iOS devices for music making in order to be different. But if it makes you feel better to call it punk go ahead...

• Wtf is a 'true punk'? And would they never buy an expensive Gibson Les Paul either?

• edited January 2016

I don't want to holiday in the sun.

• I recuse myself.

• @Littlewoodg , I actually HAVE one if those cases! An Urban Armour Cobalt and I love it!

• Perhaps I should have reworded it.."Not so much "Punk" as rebellious and contrarian...Punks were kinda conformist, actually..We IOS types like to go again St the grain...

• Anyway, I like my punk trashy, glam and local. Basically this:

• edited January 2016

@Icepulse said:
    Anyway, I like my punk trashy, glam and local. Basically this:

Same here. I'm a huge fan of The NY Dolls and Johnny Thunders!
    Have you seen the documentary "Looking For Johnny" yet?

• I agree with the topic..... i get headache from booth! :D

• @lala said:

I'm surprised to find two other JT fans here of all places. :)

• What's not to love about Johnny? <3

• Johnny was one of the greatest song writers ever. Bob Dylan had said that he wished he wrote "You Cant Put Your Arms Around A Memory".

• It's such a sad record, always makes me think of a dead boyfriend of mine.