Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Support for mixing/mastering/proccesing

Hi, I wonder if this is possible. I have a scarlett 2i2 interface. I've recorded a song into Auria with a mic in input 1 for vocals and a semi acoustic guitar in input 2. Now the guitar track is great but the vocal track has all so picked up the guitar.

Is there any way of "filtering" the guitar out of the vocal track? Maybe some phasing?

I'm fairly new to recording so I don't know if it's possible at all.

Comments

• Strikes me that to achieve decent separation between the tracks, the easiest thing would just to be record a new clean vocal.

• I know that would be the easiest way. But that vocal take was just right, you know? :smile:

• Not without compromising your vocal--,sorry mate but no

• Any possible solution would be partial at best and is going to compromise your vocal sound. I'm sure if you did it once, you can do it again!

• @Greenie said:
    Not without compromising your vocal--,sorry mate but no

Oh well. There are so many tricks and tools out there, so I hoped someone could share some gold.

• 'Do it again' is one of the best tools in a producer's bag of tricks. Of course, 'Leave it alone' is, too...

• Is the guitar track recorded clean? You could flip the waveform on a clean guitar track and mix it in to the vocal track a bit, it might cancel out some of the guitar in the vocal. Or just do it again-! In my line of work we have a saying, 'it's always easier the second time'...

• Record it again is almost always the easiest and fastest way to fix any problem, sadly also the most frustrating :(

• @Zetagy said:
    Is the guitar track recorded clean? You could flip the waveform on a clean guitar track and mix it in to the vocal track a bit, it might cancel out some of the guitar in the vocal. Or just do it again-! In my line of work we have a saying, 'it's always easier the second time'...

Yes the guitar is recorded clean with line-in.
    I guess I'll have to record it again. But I'll try to fix it the other way to. I might just learn something :wink:

• I think you have two choices: record the vocal again on its own, or if the guitar isn't all that loud on the vocal track then just live with it as it is. Or a mixture of both: use the existing track as a double, and record a clean vocal to use as the main.

• Why do you want to adjust it? Too much guitar? Phasing? Guitar in your vocal effects? If the latter, a gate might help a bit. Hard to say without hearing it or knowing what you're after.

Also, of little help for your current recording, but this problem is a really common one. There are ways to minimize the bleed when you're recording. Definitely worth a few googles to learn some of the techniques. Almost all will leave some acoustic in the vocal mic but you can get some serious reductions with mic placement alone.

• Just wondering ! If you pan left and right.. Is the vocal on left channel and guitar on right channel ?

• @syrupcore said:
    Also, of little help for your current recording, but this problem is a really common one.

Definitely - if you record a vocal performance with a condenser mic while simultaneously playing an acoustic guitar there simply is no way of avoiding bleed, it's going to happen. Funny thing is that a lot of people (me included) tend to sing much better if they are playing the guitar at the same time. In my case it helps with the timing.

Johnny Cash apparently used to record his vocals with an unstrung guitar around his neck.

• Bleed is a definite but learning the polar pattern of your mic can help. A lot. Or using a hyper cardioid or even a shotgun condenser (and learning their polar patterns) would help even more.

Presuming you don't have a mic locker, getting a 2'x2' square of foam and putting it right under your mic (cut a slice in the foam and slide it on your stand) will help a lot too.

Or just use a dynamic mic!

• R-MIX Tab by Roland Corporation
    https://appsto.re/gb/bo_uC.i

May or may not help

• Great tips everyone. I only have a condenser and the first ik multimedia dynamic mic (that goes into the jack). Haven't really used that one because of the crosstalk. But maybe if I hook it up to my iPhone, and then into my interface it would be usable. Just like you richardyot, I feel it more when in play the guitar at same time.

• @syrupcore said:
    Why do you want to adjust it? Too much guitar? Phasing? Guitar in your vocal effects? If the latter, a gate might help a bit. Hard to say without hearing it or knowing what you're after.

Also, of little help for your current recording, but this problem is a really common one. There are ways to minimize the bleed when you're recording. Definitely worth a few googles to learn some of the techniques. Almost all will leave some acoustic in the vocal mic but you can get some serious reductions with mic placement alone.

The issue is that when I eq my vocal, the guitar sounds bad, and that just destroys the mix. And I've tried the gate, but the guitar comes through too loud when the vocals are on. If that makes any sense :)

• @RUncELL said:
    Just wondering ! If you pan left and right.. Is the vocal on left channel and guitar on right channel ?

No it's a mono track

• edited January 2016

Try doing the opposite EQ curve on the guitar track? So if you boosted at 5k on the vocals by 3db, try reducing the guitar track at 5k by -3db (or a little more). Then, after you set up the opposite curve, also try removing the EQ from the vocal entirely.

• Could try that, yeah. Makes sense.