Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Link to Midi v1.02 out now ( LinkToMidi ) .... Official first release! 07/01/2016

Comments

• 2LINKY4MIDI

LINK to MIDI connects Ableton Link to musical devices that support MIDI Clock Sync. Simply join a Link session, connect your MIDI device, and that’s it. Your MIDI device is now Link-enabled.

WHY USE IT?

In musical setups that include Link, LINK to MIDI makes a connected MIDI device behave like a Link-enabled device.

More specifically, using LINK to MIDI’s Play button, you can start and stop the connected device at any time, and the device will start playing, in phase, at the next quantization tick — set by the Launch Quantization parameter on the main interface.

This is contrast to the typical MIDI Sync implementation, which requires all connected devices to start at the same time and continue playing — otherwise, if you stop, you risk losing beat phase.

NOTE: This is essentially LINK to MIDI’s only function!

It may not seem like a big deal, but the freedom to turn your devices ON and OFF at any time can have a huge effect on workflow (at least it does for me).

Also, when the transports of all your devices behave in a consistent way — whether it’s Ableton Live, a Link-enabled iOS app (like Fugue Machine!), or a drum machine built 30 years ago — it’s, well, pretty nice!

• There is nothing left to be added...hell yeah it has a slide over function :)
    highly recommend!

• edited January 2016

Nice to see it back in the store! It's actually the second official release, isn't it? It shows up as an update to the previous version here.

• Does it (still) support virtual midi?Otherwise i hesitate to update :)

• edited January 2016

@Crabman said:
    Does it (still) support virtual midi?Otherwise i hesitate to update :)

It does, at least with Addictive synth and its arp...pretty cool.
    @Alexandernaut implemented a suggestion from @Paul (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/11661/link-to-midi-beta-now-open-now-with-virtual-ports) and installed a Warning! when you select something other than a HW device: basically says Beware of crummy indevice MIDI! But connect it does, and nicely in my little outlier test.

The back and forth on that thread was very inspiring and the solve too: smart because although MIDI is a mess on iOS, there are many apps, synth apps in particular that have robust/stable MIDI, and important syncable features (arps, lfos etc) that may not ever bother implementing Link because they are not conventionally understood to be clock based apps like DAWs, sequencers, or groove boxes

I'd offer Addictive as an example, it's big fun to slide bpm on LinktoMidi and here Addictives lfo and arp change up.

Up to the rest of the iOS devs to not only be as cool as @Alexandernaut, but also clean up their MIDI act...

• Thanks for the app and I hope to see Fugue Machine for iPhone at some point :)

• edited January 2016

So, just as a point of reference, I tried to sync a couple of apps sync'd with Link (Loopy, Fugue Machine) to Sunrizer via Link to MIDI. The BPM doubled in Sunrizer.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    So, just as a point of reference, I tried running Link to MIDI between a couple of apps sync'd perfectly with Link to Sunrizer (using Link to MIDI). The BPM doubled in Sunrizer.

Yep. The good old double connection that makes pure Core MIDI Sync a nightmare.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    So, just as a point of reference, I tried to sync a couple of apps sync'd with Link (Loopy, Fugue Machine) to Sunrizer via Link to MIDI. The BPM doubled in Sunrizer.

Just tried it, & your right. Try this...... go to Utilities , then Midi Inputs, then see if everything is ticked. If it is, then unstick everything except Link to Midi only. After I did this the Arps were syncing(not unless I was lucky?)

• I mean untick, not unstick...... Sorry typo error.

• Yes, that did the trick, so thanks!

Still, the benefit of Link is that I don't have to fuss with which MIDI inputs are on or not. Know what I mean?

• I have LtM running point with an iConnectMIDI 4+ and Maschine set to external sync mode. Home effin Run! Tempo changes work very well so far.

This will definitely hold me over until Link is ready in Ableton and probably beyond (wired vs WiFi, plus I can simultaneously connect and charge two iDevices).