Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fugue Machine MIDI clock sync with Ableton Live (or any other DAW)

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get FM to work as a synced device via external MIDI. I'm having no luck. I have a working MIDI communication from my iPad to my PC, but so far I can only get FM to transmit MIDI notes in to Live (which works fine).

What I'm trying to do is start/stop Live via FM and vice versa.

I've tried a few things - obviously FM is set to receive and send MIDI clock and Live is set up to do this also. I'm very experienced in DAW/MIDI use, so I think I've done all the obvious things!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I don't know if this can help but FM updated recently with Ableton Link support. If you join the Live Beta it should be easier sync FM with Live.
    https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/link-now-in-live-beta/

• Hi. Yeah, I did hear about that. Really, I want to use a wired MIDI connection via USB for stability, because having network devices enabled screws with the audio on my laptop. Thanks, though :)

• edited December 2015

I am testing Live 9.5 beta and LINK works very well with my wired MIDI connection from my iPad Air to a iConnectAudio4+ to Live on my PC!

• Ah, OK, cool. Might give it a try, thanks!

• edited December 2015

@loopsample, as much as I love Link (and I do!), Fugue Machine can sync to midi clock from live! And extremely well.

How are you getting midi to/from your computer?

In any case, the setup is:

In fugue machine,
    1. Go to more menu > settings > midi input settings
    2. Set Midi From to your hardware interface port
    3. Set Receive MIDI clock to ON
    4. Press the play button (nothing should happen yet)

In live:
    1. Go to preferences > midi
    2. From the list of midi devices, find "output" of your hardware device, and set Sync to on.
    3. Press Live's stop button.
    4. Press Live's Play button.
    5. Success! (Hopefully)

/ if you're using midimux, select "Fugue Machine MIDI Out" instead of hardware interface port.

Please let me know if this works :]

• Ah! The man himself! :) Hi. Thanks for your interest - great app, by the way - I've been using it for beats - triggering BFD2 via MIDI notes and it's brilliant for that. But yes, MIDI clock sync hasn't been entirely successful. I say 'not entirely' because I can get it to sync one way - starting and syncing Live to MIDI clock from FM works (although the timing is a bit off, I have to say. As well as hearing it, I can actually see this in Live - the BPM fluctuates by around .3 BPM constantly).

Anyway, I just can't get Live (or Reaper - I tried that too), to go the other way and start FM. I've tried many settings and no joy. I've tried changing Live's MIDI clock type to 'song' too, just in case.

I've also tested this on Funkbox - same thing. I can get it to start Live, but not the other way.

Consider me stumped and any help gratefully received!

While your cogitating on that, here's a little demo of the aforementioned beats:

• edited December 2015

@loopsample said:
    Ah! The man himself! :) Hi. Thanks for your interest - great app, by the way - I've been using it for beats - triggering BFD2 via MIDI notes and it's brilliant for that. But yes, MIDI clock sync hasn't been entirely successful. I say 'not entirely' because I can get it to sync one way - starting and syncing Live to MIDI clock from FM works (although the timing is a bit off, I have to say. As well as hearing it, I can actually see this in Live - the BPM fluctuates by around .3 BPM constantly).

Anyway, I just can't get Live (or Reaper - I tried that too), to go the other way and start FM. I've tried many settings and no joy. I've tried changing Live's MIDI clock type to 'song' too, just in case.

I've also tested this on Funkbox - same thing. I can get it to start Live, but not the other way.

While your cogitating on that, here's a little demo of the aforementioned beats:

You are right about the bpm. With StepPolyArp app, I can see there is a 0.3 bpm shortage. i knew it, I couldn't say it until now!

• edited December 2015

@loopsample said:
    Ah! The man himself! :) Hi. Thanks for your interest - great app, by the way - I've been using it for beats - triggering BFD2 via MIDI notes and it's brilliant for that. But yes, MIDI clock sync hasn't been entirely successful. I say 'not entirely' because I can get it to sync one way - starting and syncing Live to MIDI clock from FM works (although the timing is a bit off, I have to say. As well as hearing it, I can actually see this in Live - the BPM fluctuates by around .3 BPM constantly).

You are right about the bpm. With StepPolyArp app, I can see there is a 0.3 bpm shortage. I knew it, I couldn't say it until now!

• "You are right about the bpm. With StepPolyArp app, I can see there is a 0.3 bpm shortage. i knew it, I couldn't say it until now!"

Yeah, glad I'm not the only one. It seems to stabilise a bit after 10-20 seconds, to maybe .1 or so, but it's always struggling and never quite locks. It's too loose to use for most things, really. Don't know if it's just Live that does this. Live is sometimes not the best at these kind of things. Could just be unstable MIDI clock from the iPad/iOS.

• edited December 2015

Yeah, glad I'm not the only one. It seems to stabilise a bit after 10-20 seconds, to maybe .1 or so, but it's always struggling and never quite locks. It's too loose to use for most things, really. Don't know if it's just Live that does this. Live is sometimes not the best at these kind of things. Could just be unstable MIDI clock from the iPad/iOS.

But is ok for me recording with Auria Pro, AuriaP can quantize that differences!

So it is not bothering me at all. Maybe is too technical about midi, @Alexandernaut may help us a bit.

• edited December 2015

Oh yeah, @Alexandernaut sorry - forgot to answer your question about my setup:

iPad Air 2 (iOS 9.2) with Apple Camera Connection Kit. 4-Port powered USB hub, M-Audio Midisport 1x1 into that. All works fine apart from the current issue.

• edited December 2015

I did not explain well. I use Fugue Machine to drive StepPolyArp, that drives synths app, then return that midi notes to Auria Pro.

That is the reason I always see 0.3 bpm shortage from StepPolyArp, in which Fugue Machine send the midi clock to.

• @Kaikoo said:
    I did not explain well. I use Fugue Machine to drive StepPolyArp, that drives synths app, then return that midi notes to Auria Pro.

That is the reason I always see 0.3 bpm shortage.

Yeah, not surprised! That's a long trip :)