Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fugue Machine - Output 4 Midi Channels using Midiflow velocity.

Successfully used Midiflow to split Fugue Machines output using different Velocity as a condition to remap Midi Channels.

Comments

• edited October 2015

Soundcloud...

Not a song or even a performance, just a demo of it working.

• edited October 2015

I did this in the last 30 minutes before I left the house. I've left now. But thinking about it, the MIDI channel separation might not even be important. Just having the condition filter out the notes on each track and directed at a different synth might be enough. I'll have to check when I'm back home later.

• Good midi sleuthing :) I will try this later. nice and easy to set up too.

• edited October 2015

@SpookyZoo said:
    I did this in the last 30 minutes before I left the house. I've left now. But thinking about it, the MIDI channel separation might not even be important. Just having the condition filter out the notes on each track and directed at a different synth might be enough. I'll have to check when I'm back home later.

Yeah, it should just be able to be set up as a "keyboard split". Then you don't have to mess with midi channels in the synths. Midiflow can fix everything! Nice idea!

• Nicely done. So if clever users can sort this so quickly, the clever developer should have this ready for us in no time :)

• This is sort of the way Xynthesizer works... it outputs each octave on a separate midi channel.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Successfully used Midiflow to split Fugue Machines output using different Velocity as a condition to remap Midi Channels.

Ah-ha! Thanks for posting this info. I was thinking about using Midifloqw, but exactly how to do it was eluding me.

• Using the velocity is very clever, no octave problems! good job

by the way, this app is so brilliant, your "demo of it working" sounds beautiful like a phillip glass soundtrack

thanks !

• Thanks Guys. I was super excited when the first signs started to 'apphear' that this would actually work.

@Coloobar You can use the same Octaves with no clashing using this method. :)

• Is this possible with Midibridge?

• But presumably you lose being able to use velocity for musical expression? Or how are you splitting the velocity exactly?

MIDIFlow is cool for this though. I converted velocity into midiccs coming out of Patterning the other day. Worked nicely.

• edited October 2015

Hey Matt, yeah my aim was purely to establish the split. I set velocity to 4 distinct different values. 127, 124, 110, 116, no specific reasoning for those values. Could be any 4 numbers or even ranges I guess, that might allow a little expression. Then set those up on 4 lanes as individual conditions each targeting a different synth. Midi channel split isn't actually necessary with this method it's working more as a filtered path for the notes, but splitting the midi channels would have other uses too.

It's just a quick fix that works well.I'm sure there'll be cooler and more complex routings using the same 2 apps Midiflow and Fugue Machine. I'm sure MidiBridge could do it too but haven't tried it out.

• Thanks very much for sharing, @SpookyZoo.

• Yep. Thanks. Very cool.

• edited October 2015

@SpookyZoo, this is a great temporary solution, thanks :]

The only problem I see (aside from being unable to use Velocity values), happens when two or more playheads play the same note.

As I'm sure you know, there's no standard way synths respond to receiving the same MIDI Note On message. Some create another voice, others replace the first, and some just get confused and hang up.

So to resolve this, Fugue Machine actually makes sure that, for each note, only one MIDI Note On is active at a time.

Thus, you're going to run into a small problem with this velocity mapping solution. Namely, if the same note is triggered by another playhead, the first voice will be turned off.

I'm 99% sure this will happen, but can't test at the moment. If you can verify, that would be awesome.

In any case, great temporary solution, and don't fear, per-playhead midi routing is coming! :]

• Hey Alex, thanks for the info. As you suspected, only one synth will play on the occasions the same note is played.

I for one was not going to doubt the word of the man who has lived and breathed this app for 10 months! :)

• edited October 2015

Yep. This is interesting. I also found that Animoog (maybe others too) does some weird things when the pattern should give it a long note (played at a slow tempo) and a short note at the same time. I think it ends up just playing the short note.

• edited October 2015

Fugue Machine creating the tapestry of melodies.

Midiflow splitting the note data via velocity.

Mimix controlling the mix of awesome Synths.

*50% Fun + *50% Ear Candy .....100% iOS.

Thank you Developers!

Just another jamdemo of it working rather than a proper track. No post- processing.

• Literarian.

• That first demo was amazing. I know Brian Eno uses generative apps, I wonder which ones? :)

• I want to make a track like this one day..

• @MirEko said:
    That first demo was amazing. I know Brian Eno uses generative apps, I wonder which ones? :)

Don't know for sure - but he might have a hand in developing his own generative software