Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Record samples to loop using Audiobus or IAA as source

Hey guys, in particular @thesoundtestroom who seems to have tried many apps!

Wondering if you can help: I'm looking for the following functionality and can't find one app to do it. Apart from BM2 whose UI I can't get away with:

Create an entire song in Cubasis, then be able to solo tracks one by one and through audiobus (using cubasis as an input and App 'X' as an output), sample a section to then loop or sequence (having assigned to pads). Doing this via IAA would be fine too.

The goal is to build 'live' versions of cubasis tracks where I can trigger loops from it at will.

iMPC Pro gets very close but there is no 'latching' loop function! It's either one shot or program a sequence - no ability to hit a pad once and have that sample looping ad infinitum.

BeatHawk I though would solve that problem but only has the ability to sample from microphone, not audiobus (or IAA)

Launchpad type environment - ideal, but you have to import samples.

Loopy is too much like a toy for me, couldn't confidently use it on stage, plus no banks etc.,

Thanks to this thread I found Triggler but the loop length is limited to only a few seconds (I can't capture an entire 4 bar phrase at 100bpm).

I've now lost patience with throwing money at apps that promise the world and don't deliver! Considering having a go at making an app but this is daunting! In the meantime could anyone list apps that will sample/record from audiobus or IAA, and assign these samples to pads and then loop/stop with one press?

Sincere thanks for your help.

Next thing I was going to try was Noisepad - any experience?

Comments

• I find launchpad most useful for the loops of music I create, it's not particularly difficult or time consuming to import samples into it.

• You could also use midi to trigger samples in loops, but that may take longer to set up.

• Thanks @Fruitbat1919! How would you go about exporting loops from Cubasis?

My aim is to complete a song in Cubasis and then start exporting/creating loops for live use.

• Maybe try protein der Klang? Works in the audiobus output slot. Not assignable to midi though.

• Touchable linked with midimux to a laptop running ableton. Nothing beats that for what you want to do

• @MirEko said:
    Touchable linked with midimux to a laptop running ableton. Nothing beats that for what you want to do

Thanks, will check that out.

@BvsMV PdK works but the UI is horrible. It's trying to be minimal but it's gone too far, completely unituitive.

Plus i can't get loops to sync nicely.

• @rosenthaller said:
    Thanks Fruitbat1919! How would you go about exporting loops from Cubasis?

Record song in Cubasis.
    Decide which sections you want to make into a loop and solo any tracks needed.
    Open Cubasis in Audioshare and record the solo' sections.
    Trim in either Audioshare or alternative audio editor.
    Open loop in Launchpad with correct tempo and trigger settings.
    Arrange song loops so they correspond with the 6 horizontal rows for triggering sections of the song together.
    Adjust volumes and effect settings if needed to help remix your song on the fly.
    Remember to import a few single samples to add drama to your mix as you remix it.
    Have fun it's easier than it sounds. The hardest part is coming up with a good song in the first place!

• Yeah, I hear that! Thinks that's the plan, thanks. I may even try opening the cubasis projects in Cubase on the desktop to make life less fiddly...

• You could use NanoStudio for this. The TRG instrument doesn't have sample latch either but there is a way around it (and may work in iMPC Pro too, I dunno). Make a looping sequence with all 16 TRG pads being continuously triggered via MIDI notes (the sequence should be as long as our longest sample to avoid retriggering). Then, in the TRG, instead of triggering samples with the pads, turn on "MUTE" mode and use the pads to toggle mute on and off for each pad.

This has side benefit your loops always being in time (can't hit it late or early).

It's possible to sample directly to a TRG pad via Audiobus but if you already have the stuff on the timeline in Cubasis might as well copy and paste to avoid trimming.

• Samplr and loopy maybe ?

• Launchpad is fantastic for this type of thing.