Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AURIA: First IAP's one needs to get?

What are the first 2 IAPs I need?

Why?

Thanks

Comments

• edited September 2015

Pro Q - because it's a great EQ and multiple instances

Pro C - because it's a very nice compressor and comes in handy, again, multiple instances

Having said that, you can get a LOT of milage out of the PSP channel strip EQs and compressors at minimal CPU usage, especially on subgroups and the master buss. So I'll throw a few more out there:

Since reverb is handy to have on hand, investing in the Convolution Reverb and an IR pack or two for it (I have HIT! and Golden Glue) might be a good option.

Also, if you're doing vocals, strongly consider Pro DS. VERY useful.

Hope this helps :)

• @eustressor Have all these but didn't know about the IRs, so thanks for the tip.

Any regrets (about the IRs :)?

• ^^^ as above, but I'd add Timeless2 and then add a few months just to play with what the Fabfilters can really do!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    eustressor Have all these but didn't know about the IRs, so thanks for the tip.

Any regrets (about the IRs :)?

Nope. I realize Altiverb is great, and my go to Audiobus FX slot reverb is Virsyn's AudioReverb, but just having a really nice reverb unit with multiple instances inside the box is invaluable. Especially for drums and drum groups, which is primarily what HIT! (especially) and Golden Glue (slightly less specifically) were designed for, so no regrets.

In fact, I highly recommend HIT! for anyone who works with drum stems. Ideal for dialing in great snare sounds or a nice, boomy crash cymbal, for example.

• Hmmm. Innarestin'. Thanks compadre....

• THanks so much so far

• Agreed with Pro-Q and Pro-C. Necessary tools. Then Timeless 2 for effects fun. It's the top effects plugin/app on iOS in my opinion.

• I just wish the convolution reverb had some kind of EQ, or at least a low pass filter, because most of the IRs are too bright for my tastes. I do have the Golden Glue and Retroverb IRs, but not HIT (yet).

For the OP: they're all good, but I would agree with Eustressor that Pro Q and Pro C are probably the most essential.

• I would say one of the EQ's would be most essential - personally I find the built in EQ horrible to use, can't get my head around it at all. I'll buy that one next time it's on sale. I have the Timeless 2 effect and very happy with that - you can get all sorts of filter and modulation sounds out of it as well as delays and reverbs.

• @monzo said:
    I would say one of the EQ's would be most essential - personally I find the built in EQ horrible to use, can't get my head around it at all.

What is it that is confusing you? The interface or the actual use of it? I do enjoy using pro q more, but the channel strip is a quality eq as well. Actually, I wish pro q was a little better with touch, you still have to use the knob to adjust the q and I hate those double ring knobs that fab uses, but it's still gear in spite.

Anyway, if there's any questions on that channel strip that I can help with feel free to ask.

• I'll also add a dark horse in the race here- micro warmer is the one plug in that is absolutely essential for me, and it was the first plugin I bought in auria. For the drum bus it is unbeatable, and I use it in other spots too.

• @mrufino1 said:

I've being using IAA keyboards in a slot, so I'm presuming that because it comes after the track channel strip, I have to send it to one of the subs to use the channel strip there....is that correct or am I missing something?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I've being using IAA keyboards in a slot, so I'm presuming that because it comes after the track channel strip, I have to send it to one of the subs to use the channel strip there....is that correct or am I missing something?

Kinda depends - if the audio from the synth is actually recorded on the track then the channel strip will affect it - and you should unload the synth from the FX slot. However if the synth is being driven by MIDI and playing along with the track, then the channel strip will not affect it, but any inserts applied after it will. I wouldn't recommend the second workflow though, since there is no state-saving with IAA you wouldn't be able to reload the project in the future.

• As for EQ, the nice thing with Pro-Q is the visual interface and the spectrum analyser: if you want to give the kick drum a boost the analyser tells you immediately where to apply the EQ, whereas on the channel strip it might take a bit of trial and error to find the right frequencies.

• @richardyot said:
    As for EQ, the nice thing with Pro-Q is the visual interface and the spectrum analyser: if you want to give the kick drum a CUT the analyser tells you immediately where to apply the EQ, whereas on the channel strip it might take a bit of trial and error to find the right frequencies.

Fixed it for you. ;-)

• I appreciate the input thus far.

I went ahead and bought it this am. Didn't want to miss the $24.99 price.

However, due to space, I immediately deleted it.

I will probably tackle it in the coming weeks in preparation for the "pro" option.

Kind of funny, as I researched Auria - people have been thinking that MIDI and other options were only couple months away.

THIS HAS BEEN THE THOUGHT FOR YEARS NOW! LOL

I still wanted in to grabbed it.

I may grab these recommendations as well. Just need to research them a tad more.

Any other recommendations I should keep in mind?

NOTE: I am a CUBASIS user presently.

• edited September 2015

@mrufino I know it's heresy, but I think it's perfectly fine to boost things sometimes. Typical example, that relates to the earlier post is if you have a drum loop and you want to give more presence to the kick - it's far more efficient to boost the kick than it is to reduce everything else IMO.

• I'm kinda using Auria as one big effect unit at the moment for playing my synths through when jamming, so I'm probably better using Auria and AB?

• @mrufino1 said:

I'm a bit lost in the channel strip EQ to be honest, any links to good tutorials welcome!

• @monzo if you look in the Auria user guide, there is a brief description of the channel strip EQ on page 134, that gives all the essential information:

http://assets.drumagog.com/manuals/Auria User Guide.pdf

• @richardyot said:
    monzo if you look in the Auria user guide, there is a brief description of the channel strip EQ on page 134, that gives all the essential information:

http://assets.drumagog.com/manuals/Auria User Guide.pdf

Will take this to Church.

• edited September 2015

Auria Channel Strip.

Enjoy!

Added: For EQ skip to 4:55...

• That vid was really helpful thanks KING777

• I'm gonna have to disagree with the IR libraries. None of the IR's are of real spaces, but are of reverb units. Sometimes several layered. They are also grainy sounding, even the shorter IR's, which are few. I have collected lots of free IR's over the last 10 years and they are much cleaner and useable.

I am a big fan of convolution reverb and was disappointed at the quality of the files from Auria, or PSP or whoever put the libraries together.

• @Martygras yes that kind of confirms my thoughts about the convolution reverb in Auria - there are a few usable IRs dotted around the various libraries, but they do seem to be few and far between. Could you point me to some good quality IR files?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    That vid was really helpful thanks KING777

Good job :)

Yeah it just de-mystifies it a little more..

• @richardyot said:
    I just wish the convolution reverb had some kind of EQ, or at least a low pass filter, because most of the IRs are too bright for my tastes.

throw some eq on after the reverb

• @asnor said:
    throw some eq on after the reverb

ideally I would like to EQ the reverb send itself, rather than the whole signal, so just the wet rather than the wet + dry.

• edited September 2015

@richardyot said:

right; insert an eq on the send after the reverb:-)

***Never mind. It appears that you can't do this in Auria.

• But that affects both the wet and dry, I just want to EQ the wet on its own. Might be possible in Auria Pro with the more flexible routing.