Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My Audiobus stopped working.... had to reinstall it.

Hmm...Its completely gone, every slot says: no Audiobus apps found.
I did a soft reset (hold home and standby button until iPad restarts, but that didn't help. I turned my iPad air 2 ios 8.3 completely off, and on, that didn't help.
I found a solution, but I am not happy with it: Audiobus works now only if I open the apps that I want to use before I place them in a slot. So I have to open an app first. Only then Audiobus is recognising it.
Edit: hmmm.. this doesn't work with GarageBand though.

FINAL EDIT: I decided to delete Audiobus, and reinstall it, that helped, problem solved. Terrible job was to mail all my presets to myself before I deleted the app. An option to backup all your presets at once would be nice.

Comments

• Sorry for the inconvenienxe. You can use the free iExplorer to access the documents folder in the Audiobus app where all the presets are saved.

• @Sebastian said:
    Sorry for the inconvenienxe. You can use the free iExplorer to access the documents folder in the Audiobus app where all the presets are saved.

Did not know; good to know...

• Sorry to sound a bit dim, but which iexplorer app is this ?

• edited April 2015

@Sebastian said:
    Sorry for the inconvenienxe. You can use the free iExplorer to access the documents folder in the Audiobus app where all the presets are saved.

Good to hear, thx for reply. Is this still working with ios 8.3 on my Windows PC?
    Something else: I can't see the picture anymore, the picture I added when I started the topic.

@Igneous1 said:
    Sorry to sound a bit dim, but which iexplorer app is this ?

iExplorer is software for Mac and Windows, you can transfer files from/to your iPad to/from your PC / Mac. But I am not shure if it works with ios 8.3. There is much debate about transferring files with iFunbox (this is the same sort of software as iExplorer) wich doesn't work (yet) with ios 8.3.

• ^^^ same here. Do you mean iOS or pc app @Sebastian

• edited April 2015

I can't see the picture I added here when I started this topic, so I add it again.

• edited April 2015

@Marcel, in their website it shows "iOS 8.3 ready".

It show as well "Buy", so I don't if is a "must buy" or a kind of shareware.

• edited April 2015

@fjcblanco said:
    Marcel, in their website it shows "iOS 8.3 ready".

It show as well "Buy", so I don't if is a "must buy" or a kind of shareware.

'Ready' doesn't convince me, 'supports' would convince me more. And about bying: Sebastian is talking about the free version, and I see there is a free version. There is also a comparison free vs paid chart.

• Ok, so please share your experience mixing iOS 8.3 + iExplorer free. :)

• edited April 2015

@fjcblanco said:
    Ok, so please share your experience mixing iOS 8.3 + iExplorer free. :)

Your logic is not my logic. I am not willing to follow your request. I add that your request irritates me.

• Sorry, I don't understand which is the missunderstood. Trust me, I didn't want offend you.

• Just thinking sharing experiences could be positive to everybody.

• The same thing has now just happened to me. Audiobus presets not loading and apps gone from the list, reboots not helping. There's definitely some major problems too with IAA in 8.3 despite the initial performance boost, but it's unclear whether this is down to certain apps or iOS 8.3 itself. it seems we're not out of the woods yet with iOS 8

• edited April 2015

@fjcblanco said:
    Sorry, I don't understand which is the missunderstood. Trust me, I didn't want offend you.

Ok , its allright, I felt a bit irritated cause I thought you had the intention to annoy me. A misunderstanding, but its ok now, I believe what you say, so no problem.

@Carnbot said:
    The same thing has now just happened to me. Audiobus presets not loading and apps gone from the list, reboots not helping. There's definitely some major problems too with IAA in 8.3 despite the initial performance boost, but it's unclear whether this is down to certain apps or iOS 8.3 itself. it seems we're not out of the woods yet with iOS 8

Hmmm....not good. I thought my problem had something to do with my individual Air2, but your experience points to a wider problem. My solution was: reinstall Audiobus, and backup your presets before deleting AB. Sebastian says you can use the free iXplorer software to backup your presets.

• @Sebastian said:

Hi, I've tried iExplorer on Windows and I can't see the documents folder is there another easy way of saving the presets? I've got absolutely loads and I don't want to have to export them one by one.....I second this need to have presets in the public folder since all 8.3 access seems locked out of other folders

If I backup the app do the presets get saved in the backup?

• @Marcel said:
    Hmmm....not good. I thought my problem had something to do with my individual Air2, but your experience points to a wider problem. My solution was: reinstall Audiobus, and backup your presets before deleting AB. Sebastian says you can use the free iXplorer software to backup your presets.

Thanks :) although the problem for me at the moment is ios 8.3 blocks folder access to Audiobus presets it seems. I'm hoping that if I backup the app via iTunes the presets get backed up too. I've got hundreds of presets so I'm hoping I won't have to export them all individually....

• @Carnbot said:
    Thanks :) although the problem for me at the moment is ios 8.3 blocks folder access to Audiobus presets it seems. I'm hoping that if I backup the app via iTunes the presets get backed up too. I've got hundreds of presets so I'm hoping I won't have to export them all individually....

I just checked the following: I installed the free iExplorer (including the mounting software) on my Windows 8 PC. A few days ago I made a backup of my iPad Air 2 to my PC via iTunes. And it did backup the Audiobus presets to my PC, I can see that preset backup now on iExplorer which uses that iTunes backup. BUT: I haven't figured out a way to import the preset(s) back to my iPad. For me it is not necessary cause I did it all via mail by hand, so to speak. Perhaps there is a way but I don't know it now.

• edited April 2015

@fjcblanco said:
    I hope this helps:

Thanks I will check that out

@Marcel said:

I just checked the following: I installed the free iExplorer (including the mounting software) on my Windows 8 PC. A few days ago I made a backup of my iPad Air 2 to my PC via iTunes. And it did backup the Audiobus presets to my PC, I can see that preset backup now on iExplorer which uses that iTunes backup. BUT: I haven't figured out a way to import the preset(s) back to my iPad. For me it is not necessary cause I did it all via mail by hand, so to speak. Perhaps there is a way but I don't know it now.

That's good to hear, I always thought that ITunes backups do include things like presets but I find it difficult to trust iTunes. That's why I liked using ifunbox before 8.3. You could make sure the correct preset folders were backed up without doubt.

• edited April 2015

@Carnbot - yes, the presets are backupped in iTunes (I did a complete backup of everything on my iPad and I see every preset in the Backup Explorer of iExplorer). But, as I said I, I am not shure how to restore the backupped presets back to iPad. Probably via iTunes, just click 'install' where you see Audiobus (after you deleted the app on your iPad). That probably works, but like you I not completely trust iTunes.

• edited April 2015

Well in the end I backed up all the important presets individually just to be sure, I'm glad I did now as I think I may have to restore the whole ipad back from the cloud/iTunes to get the presets back the iTunes way, I'm not sure.

The most convenient way I found in case others need to do this was to export the presets to Evernote. Then in Evernote all the individual preset notes can be merged into one page of links to your presets.

This illustrates the need for a preset manager in Audiobus. As well as favourites and folders etc, the ability to backup, export and import(!) folders of presets is a great time saver....

EDIT: ok so iExplorer does work if you use the backup explorer, using that I can export all my Audiobus presets to my computer. But how do you copy them back into a fresh install of Audiobus if you can't browse the Audiobus folders?

• edited April 2015

@Carnbot said:

EDIT: ok so iExplorer does work if you use the backup explorer, using that I can export all my Audiobus presets to my computer. But how do you copy them back into a fresh install of Audiobus if you can't browse the Audiobus folders?

Did you make a complete backup of your iPad to your PC via iTunes? If so, my guess to get the presets back to your iPad is: delete Audiobus on your iPad, open iTunes, go to Audiobus, press 'install'. But it is a guess, its at your own risk.

• @Marcel said:
    Did you make a complete backup of your iPad to your PC via iTunes? If so, my guess to get the presets back to your iPad is: delete Audiobus on your iPad, open iTunes, go to Audiobus, press 'install'. But it is a guess, its at your own risk.

Thanks, yes I did make a full backup, but decided not to go the iTunes route since when I selected to reinstall just Audiobus it wanted to make changes to the rest of my iPad. I don't trust iTunes also so I just decided to export all the presets individually. At least I am now able to import the presets one by one :)

• edited April 2015

Again.....No Audiobus apps found....

An unhappy user.

• @Marcel said:
    Again.....No Audiobus apps found....

An unhappy user.

It happened to me twice too then I reset my entire iPad and installed everything again from an iTunes backup and so far it's working ok I think. With Audiobus I installed fresh from the cloud, not my iTunes copy as when I did this the first time the problem returned.

• @Carnbot said:
    It happened to me twice too then I reset my entire iPad and installed everything again from an iTunes backup and so far it's working ok I think. With Audiobus I installed fresh from the cloud, not my iTunes copy as when I did this the first time the problem returned.

I hope for you that your trouble is gone. And thanks for this reset idea. But for now I accept (with much reluctance) this bug and work with a minimum of presets and wait for a fix. I hope the AB people are working on it. Or perhaps I reinstall AB from iTunes, I am not shure yet if I shall do that, in your case it didn't work, so perhaps this is not a good idea for me too. Would be nice to have the possibility to install an older version of AB, but I don't know how to, and I am not shure if the cause of the problem is the last version of AB.

• Well annoyingly after re-installing everything after an iPad factory reset and loading back in a lot of my presets it's happened again and Audiobus can't find any of my apps.
    If you could batch save/export and install all presets at once this wouldn't be a problem to install Audiobus again but with lots of presets it's a major hassle.

This must be an 8.3 thing because it's happened three times now since the update

Hi @Sebastian Do you know if there is a fix for this in the works? Many thanks

• Weird suggestion: could you try to turn your iPad upside down? Some other bug (AB sidebar is frozen in GarageBand) is tackled by that. It probably won't solve it, but you never know, it might.

• @Marcel said:
    Weird suggestion: could you try to turn your iPad upside down? Some other bug (AB sidebar is frozen in GarageBand) is tackled by that. It probably won't solve it, but you never know, it might.

Thanks, I might try that next time, I've reinstalled Audiobus again but anything is worth a try next time if it happens again, which seems likely :)