Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala + AUM workflow

Hi,

Here's what I'd like to do, from a non-tool perspective:

• Vocalize and record a rhythm idea
  • Vocalize and record a song phrase
  • Figure out and record chords
  • Keep adding to it until it feels like something is there to refine into a song
  • Re-record the separate rhythm, melody, and chord ideas
  • Try out different instruments along the way
  • Add solos and whatnot for more interesting stuff
  • Arrange recording and tracks. Lots of copy/cut/paste.
  • Mix
  • Maybe master, maybe not
  • Finish and archive or share

I think Koala would be great certainly for the first several tasks. Maybe more.

Based on delightful AUM experiences so far, I am assuming I should do this from the beginning in AUM with Koala AUv3. But MAYBE NOT, based on some stuff in the last few days.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

Comments

• Koala is fantastic and even better with AUv3 components. It has become my go-to on-the-fly sampler. That said, some of the things you want to do, while doable in Koala, are even easier to pull off in Loopy Pro, which should be headed into open beta soon. Not discouraging you from Koala, it's great. Just saying that based on your list, you should also be watching for Loopy Pro.

• @joegrant413 AUM is going to be what you want to sequence (via any of many sequencers) and try a plethora of sounds. Then hit the record button (either in AUM or in Koala) and resample resequence what you've recorded.

You might want to look at Neon (4pockets) as well

For Koala Specific workflows youtube has many Koala enthusiasts

Danny Sugar is great

• A couple of things I've noticed that haven't gone as expected so far with the new Koala AU v3 working with AUM:

• To have multiple outputs for Koala, it seems like you have to open Koala as a source. But if you do that, it doesn't seem like you can feed in an input live into Koala. And I want to sing or play within AUM and have Koala capture that audio on different Koala sample pads
    • With a Koala instance as an AUM effect, I want to make a recording of playing the Koala samples into the AUM recording channel. It didn't work as expected on first try this morning. The Koala Sequencer seems to override what I want to do.

Just some early observations and I could be wrong or not seeing obvious switches to flip. But it might mean that I might want to run Koala outside of AUM for parts of my workflow. YMMV.

Thanks,
    Joe

• @joegrant413 said:
    A couple of things I've noticed that haven't gone as expected so far with the new Koala AU v3 working with AUM:

• To have multiple outputs for Koala, it seems like you have to open Koala as a source. But if you do that, it doesn't seem like you can feed in an input live into Koala. And I want to sing or play within AUM and have Koala capture that audio on different Koala sample pads
    • With a Koala instance as an AUM effect, I want to make a recording of playing the Koala samples into the AUM recording channel. It didn't work as expected on first try this morning. The Koala Sequencer seems to override what I want to do.

Just some early observations and I could be wrong or not seeing obvious switches to flip. But it might mean that I might want to run Koala outside of AUM for parts of my workflow. YMMV.

Thanks,
    Joe

I have been able to load koala AUv3 as effect with multiout. You need to load the multiout instances in effect nodes.

• I'll give it another try, gracias.

• @joegrant413 said:
    I'll give it another try, gracias.

Pretty sure this video shows how

• I checked out the video and yep, it’s making more sense now.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

As someone who has raised kids, that hammer sitting so close to that iPad deeply disturbs me.

• @wim said:
    As someone who has raised kids, that hammer sitting right next to that iPad deeply disturbs me by instinct.

It's for squashing bugs.

• edited September 2021

Part of my confusion was that the multibus from Koala at the effect can only be found at the effect node of other channels. My mental model is you had to always put a signal destination at the top of a channel. But I'm also still a relative rookie at AUM.

• Anyone tried recording Koala Sequences where there are multiple instances in AUM?

• edited September 2021

It’s quirky to have to start your sequence by hitting the Record button in Koala but you also have to hit the play button from the AUM transport to make everything record OK in the Koala Sequence.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    That said, some of the things you want to do, while doable in Koala, are even easier to pull off in Loopy Pro, which should be headed into open beta soon.

I checked out Loopy way back when it first came out, and for whatever reason, at that time I had trouble really getting it under my fingers and learning it well. That was years ago, and i’ve probably learned a thing or two about sampling and music production for the better since then. It might be worth revisiting. The downside of doing that is I’m trying to get some closure on figuring out my iOS workflow tools. It’s always the problem on this platform.

But you can’t deny that preview video for Loopy Pro looks very tempting.

• @stown said:

@joegrant413 said:

Hey , This video is awesome for AUM. Since I already have Audiobus, am I able to do the same multi-output routing? For some reason I am not seeing the option. Please help.

• @MichaelOpera said:

@stown said:

@joegrant413 said:

Hey , This video is awesome for AUM. Since I already have Audiobus, am I able to do the same multi-output routing? For some reason I am not seeing the option. Please help.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think Audiobus can do that. Didn’t see it on the list here:

https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=au_multi_bus