Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

App Sync - Midi Out to hardware

Hi,

I've been tearing my hair out on this all day - any suggestions appreciated!

I’m trying to send midi clock and start/stop commands from DM1 or Elastic Drums (or both with Audiobus) to my analogue synths with on board sequencers. I’m using iPad Pro 2020 with a Steinberg UR24C Interface, connecting them via a midi out port, and daisychaining via midi thru.

I have tried numerous settings on both apps but cannot get midi sync to work. There is no clock being sent as it doesn’t show on the Prophet 6 / OB 6 display. I have done this a lot with DAW's and other hardware

I just want to be able to hit start in the app and it trigger the synths sequencers.

I've looked at loads of posts here about this type of thing (and the issues there are) but just cannot see why it's not even working at all. I have tried connecting the interface via midi to another interface I use with Ableton to see if I can trigger that but it doesn't work either. I can see settings for Midi clock out in both apps so am wondering if its a hardware issue at this stage?

Again, any help is gratefully received. I have been going on about having the final solution to my bands drum based issues and now have missed practise trying to sort it out!

Comments

• I am no midi aficionado by any stretch, but whilst you are waiting for probably a more sensible answer - have you tried the Midi Wrench app?, or maybe the Link to MIDI app?

• @mully303 said:
    Hi,

I've been tearing my hair out on this all day - any suggestions appreciated!

I’m trying to send midi clock and start/stop commands from DM1 or Elastic Drums (or both with Audiobus) to my analogue synths with on board sequencers. I’m using iPad Pro 2020 with a Steinberg UR24C Interface, connecting them via a midi out port, and daisychaining via midi thru.

I have tried numerous settings on both apps but cannot get midi sync to work. There is no clock being sent as it doesn’t show on the Prophet 6 / OB 6 display. I have done this a lot with DAW's and other hardware

I just want to be able to hit start in the app and it trigger the synths sequencers.

I've looked at loads of posts here about this type of thing (and the issues there are) but just cannot see why it's not even working at all. I have tried connecting the interface via midi to another interface I use with Ableton to see if I can trigger that but it doesn't work either. I can see settings for Midi clock out in both apps so am wondering if its a hardware issue at this stage?

Again, any help is gratefully received. I have been going on about having the final solution to my bands drum based issues and now have missed practise trying to sort it out!

It might help if you posted screenshots of your audiobus setup and the sync options screen.

• Sure, here are the photo's. The apps do have midi sync out options built in too and I tried those first. I have tried Midi Wrench and i can trigger the hardware synths keyboard with the on screen keyboard, which shows the midi out port of the interface is doing something.

• edited September 2021

@robosardine said:
    I am no midi aficionado by any stretch, but whilst you are waiting for probably a more sensible answer - have you tried the Midi Wrench app?, or maybe the Link to MIDI app?

Thanks for this! I have just got it running via Link To Midi. It's not ideal as I don't have access to the offset parameters that are offered in the apps and there is a slight timing issue. However, good to know that it can work. Would be much better to have it running directly from an app but this is a start!