Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 15/iPadOS 15 App & Interface checklist ✅

Feel free to share your app & interface findings, concerns on iOS/iPadOS 15 & make app/interface test requests.

iDevice: 2021 M1 iPad Pro 12.9

Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen 3
Direct via usb-c cable: Works ✅
Via usb-c hub: Works ✅

Concerns: iPad seems to crash when hitting center multitasking button unless doing it with safari first. Not a showstopper at all.

Comments

• iDevice: 2021 M1 iPad Pro 12.9

Interface: Motu M4

• Amplitube does not open on iOS15, instant crash even with all permissions given. This is on an XSMax iPhone, no interface plugged in, haven’t checked iPad Pro. Can anyone else confirm if other IK apps (MixBox etc..) are working or crashing on iOS15, on iPhones or iPads? Seems like IK will be forced to develop app stability after the fact…

• edited September 2021

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Amplitube does not open on iOS15, instant crash even with all permissions given. This is on an XSMax iPhone, no interface plugged in, haven’t checked iPad Pro. Can anyone else confirm if other IK apps (MixBox etc..) are working or crashing on iOS15, on iPhones or iPads? Seems like IK will be forced to develop app stability after the fact…

Yep, Amplitube crashes on iPad Pro 10.5. Officially :( https://ikmultimedia.com/faq/?id=1420

• edited September 2021

Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen: working now…
    Both direct and through CCK and a hub.

Device: 2021 M1 12.9 iPad Pro

Wasn’t working at first. Had to download focusrite control and get it out of MSD mode. Works fine now

• From the various reports, it sounds like the OS might be sending out different commands when connecting to an interface which might be initializing interfaces to different settings than they used to before.

• Motu M2 all good too. AUM, Auria, CB3, n-Track, AEM….

• @Dante777 said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Amplitube does not open on iOS15, instant crash even with all permissions given. This is on an XSMax iPhone, no interface plugged in, haven’t checked iPad Pro. Can anyone else confirm if other IK apps (MixBox etc..) are working or crashing on iOS15, on iPhones or iPads? Seems like IK will be forced to develop app stability after the fact…

Yep, Amplitube crashes on iPad Pro 10.5. Officially :( https://ikmultimedia.com/faq/?id=1420

Ugh. These guys are a software company, as well as a hardware company. They need to start acting like one.

• Can confirm Audient iD4 works on the M1 Pro

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@NeuM said:

@Dante777 said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

Ugh. These guys are a software company, as well as a hardware company. They need to start acting like one.

Or, Apple does.
    nvm. I know what your response will be already.

• edited September 2021

Interface: Apogee Duet 3

96k sample rate doesn’t work currently. This is not iOS15 related.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Can anyone else confirm if other IK apps (MixBox etc..) are working or crashing on iOS15, on iPhones or iPads?

Yes I’m wondering about Syntronik. It barely works on 14 so I’m not optimistic.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

Mixbox appears fine in cubasis 3 so far

• @spiteface said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Can anyone else confirm if other IK apps (MixBox etc..) are working or crashing on iOS15, on iPhones or iPads?

Yes I’m wondering about Syntronik. It barely works on 14 so I’m not optimistic.

Syntronik appears to work fine in Cubasis 3

• Zoom u-44 works well☺️

• My iConnectivity Audio 4+ seems to work well on iOS 15 with my iPad Air 4. I didn't test everything deeply last night but I use most of its features with my projects and nothing seemed amiss.

• I understand the appeal of a new Device (iPad Mini 6, new iPad Pro with M1 chips) but I don't understand the appeal of snap upgrading the OS. It's not like iOS 15 will give us Logic or something new. I don't know how I sounds with my question, but it's just a neutral genuine question of a curious person. Maybe I am missing on something!

Thanks for any insight!

• The Behringer UMC204HD works fine through the USB-C AV dongle thingie. Probably works OK with a direct USB-C to USB-B cable too but mine hasn't arrived yet to test. I'd also assume that that UMC404HD works as well but mine is currently busy in another setup. THey are pretty much the same as far as the class compliant USB stuff goes.

• @wim said:

@NeuM said:

@Dante777 said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

Or, Apple does.
    nvm. I know what your response will be already.

Apple provided all developers beta access months in advance. There was PLENTY of time to refine their apps.

• edited September 2021

@Montreal_Music said:
    I understand the appeal of a new Device (iPad Mini 6, new iPad Pro with M1 chips) but I don't understand the appeal of snap upgrading the OS. It's not like iOS 15 will give us Logic or something new. I don't know how I sounds with my question, but it's just a neutral genuine question of a curious person. Maybe I am missing on something!

Thanks for any insight!

I upgraded because an app I use is including a feature for iOS 15 multitasking that seemed to improve my workflow. Also I'm a beta tester so it seemed helpful to be testing the latest os.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    I understand the appeal of a new Device (iPad Mini 6, new iPad Pro with M1 chips) but I don't understand the appeal of snap upgrading the OS. It's not like iOS 15 will give us Logic or something new. I don't know how I sounds with my question, but it's just a neutral genuine question of a curious person. Maybe I am missing on something!

Thanks for any insight!

Depends on use case. If I were using this professionally on stage or some other sort of presentation, I wouldn't upgrade that setup for a long time -- maybe never.

I do the beta testing bit so I can stay ahead of potential issues with my AU's, but even if that weren't the case the new feature where you can use the iPad mixed with the Mac in such a seamless fashion would have me upgrading both the second the feature was out on both devices.

• Some weird behaviour with a multi channel interface:

Expert Sleepers ES-8 (4 in, 16 out) initially appeared as having just two channels.

The outputs would usually show up in AUM as "ES-8 1+2", "ES-8 3+4", etc but appeared as "ES-8 L+R". Disconnecting / reconnecting and power cycling didn't help. I tried it with another device that was running iOS 14.8 and all the inputs and outputs were available. After that, another attempt with the iPad running iPadOS 15 saw all the channels present.

@NeuM said:
    Apple provided all developers beta access months in advance. There was PLENTY of time to refine their apps.

Unfortunately it's not quite as easy as that. Apple will sometimes remove features that have been available in the betas from the final release, or change things at the last moment.

• edited September 2021

I can confirm, that the LINE 6 Sonic Port VX works fine on an iPad Pro M1 12.9"/iPadOS15.
    Connected via cable micro-USB/USB-A and USB-A to USB-C adapter.

• iDevice: 2018 iPad Pro 11

Interface: Behringer U-PHORIA UM2
    Direct via usb-c cable: I don't have one
    Via usb-c hub: Doesn't work 🛑

fml

• iPad Pro 12,9 2017 / iPadOS 15.1 (CCK->powered USB 3.0 hub -> audio interface)
    My Behringer UMC404HD works just fine.

• The comments in this thread on Apple support suggest that iPadOS 15 might have broken some USB hubs (that`s how I use my Behringer audio interface).
    Supposedly it completly brakes the USB2 connections and USB3 only works when the hub is not powered...
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253172894?login=true&page=1

• @bbelo said:
    The comments in this thread on Apple support suggest that iPadOS 15 might have broken some USB hubs (that`s how I use my Behringer audio interface).
    Supposedly it completly brakes the USB2 connections and USB3 only works when the hub is not powered...
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253172894?login=true&page=1

Yamaha has reported this to Apple too.

A problem has been reported in version 15 of iOS and iPadOS, in which Apps are sometimes unable to detect a Yamaha musical instrument after making a USB connection.

If you encounter this problem, turning off your iPhone/iPad and then turning it on again will allow the instrument to be detected normally. We have confirmed that this problem only occurs with version 15 of each OS.

As of October 27, 2021, we have reported this to Apple and are considering how to address it.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but would ask for your patience while we resolve this issue.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/stagekeyboards/yc/index.html (at the top).

My iPad is running 15.2, and this problem pops up occasionally with USB disks and USB MIDI and audio interfaces, from different manufacturers. Sometimes they don't show up in any app. Unplugging and replugging sometimes helps, other times a reboot works...

• edited January 2022

Device: iPad Pro 11“ 2019 (running AUM and many Synths, Atom 2, Pure Acid, Animoog Z etc.)
    Audio Interface: Behringer UMC404HD - Mic & Waldorf Blofeld plugged in
    Midicontroler: Arturia Minilab MkII & CME M-Key 49 for playing Synths and Vocoder in AUM and start/stop Pure Acid Pattern & Atom instances).

All via USB-3.0-Hub (powered) and CCK

My Arturia Keystep is also pluged in the Hub. I need to send Midiclock from iPad to the Keystep Sequencer (via LinkToMidi). Keystep plays my Waldorf Blofeld.

All is working very well! :)

• edited January 2022

IPad Air 4, iPadOS 15.2

Using Apple multimedia HDMI adapter, connected directly and via external USB hub, all three different connections

working fine with my Arturia Minifuse 2 and Launchkey Mk3 keyboard!

/DMfan🇸🇪

• Air4, Motu M2, Apanage 11 port USB hub, Nektar Impact GX61 keyboard. Current iOS. Everything running as smooth as ever.