Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Impaktful Resonations - Physical modeling drum synthesizers (iOS macOS and hardware)

Let’s continue our discussions here.
Here is a video for the Aframe.

Comments

• Here’s another one.

• Wow, I like this. I’m not sure if I’m more impressed by the instrument or the fact that 90% of this is possible in a little $3.99 iPhone app called Impaktor.

• @Hmtx said:
    Wow, I like this. I’m not sure if I’m more impressed by the instrument or the fact that 90% of this is possible in a little $3.99 iPhone app called Impaktor.

I know that feeling. When I discovered how to hook up Impaktor to a drum pad and thought back to when I bought the original Wavedrum in the mid 90s for around $2000.

• @hypnopad said:
    Here’s another one.

Really impressed by this guys skills. Also bought Impaktor just now. I haven’t done so before because it’t not interconnective but i’ll work around that now.

• edited September 2021

@Hmtx said:
    Wow, I like this. I’m not sure if I’m more impressed by the instrument or the fact that 90% of this is possible in a little $3.99 iPhone app called Impaktor.

It’s the ancient: buy a table vs make a table analogy (I just thought up 😂)

It’s either you dish out premium for a pre made table that’s been to someone’s design or…

Do a carpentry course, buy all the materials and tools and make one-of your own design yourself.

Now we have Drambo we can make a much better table than the one in the video. We just need to work out how.

This is very inspiring for sound design. Thanks @hypnopad

• @supadom It looks like pressure from his left hand controls the pitch within a predetermined scale. There’s probably many ways to approach that within Drambo.

• @hypnopad said:
    @supadom It looks like pressure from his left hand controls the pitch within a predetermined scale. There’s probably many ways to approach that within Drambo.

Yes, agree with both considerations. 😊

It’s better to have too many ways to do something than not enough.

Pressure in Bop Pad can be used for that but definitely easier as a continuous as opposed to step/note control. It could be on one quadrant only to avoid confusion/too many midi messages for the software.

• edited September 2021

I just yesterday found out about Impaktor. Now I really want to buy a practice pad/ piezo mic and hook everything up in LoopyPro. Or does impaktor only works with mic input?

• Awesome to see how tech supports skills and creativity, but not replacing it 👍

• @seventyfour said:
    I just yesterday found out about Impaktor. Now I really want to buy a practice pad/ piezo mic and hook everything up in LoopyPro. Or does impaktor only works with mic input?

Nice, welcome to the Impaktor club. Prepare to have your mind blown when you have a piezo mic or drum pad dialed in with the right volume levels.

Bad news is that Impaktor is somewhat dated and limited. It does have IAA which means it can route as an audio source in AUM or Audiobus. It also works with an audio interface (and piezo mic). So technically yes there is a clunky way to use Impaktor with Loopy right now.

Good news is that as soon as you want to do more than Impaktor allows, just buy Drambo. It is made by the same developer and the function of Impaktor is completely possible, along with limitless adjustments, MIDI control, AUv3 routing, lots more. It would take heaps of work to replicate all of the Impaktor sounds, but it comes with a preset that shows 4 or 5 sounds as a starting point. like @supadom says it has the potential to be even more than the AFrame… but would take a massive amount of time and deep understanding of Drambo’s synth engine.

• @Hmtx said:

@seventyfour said:

Nice, welcome to the Impaktor club. Prepare to have your mind blown when you have a piezo mic or drum pad dialed in with the right volume levels.

Bad news is that Impaktor is somewhat dated and limited. It does have IAA which means it can route as an audio source in AUM or Audiobus. It also works with an audio interface (and piezo mic). So technically yes there is a clunky way to use Impaktor with Loopy right now.

Good news is that as soon as you want to do more than Impaktor allows, just buy Drambo. It is made by the same developer and the function of Impaktor is completely possible, along with limitless adjustments, MIDI control, AUv3 routing, lots more. It would take heaps of work to replicate all of the Impaktor sounds, but it comes with a preset that shows 4 or 5 sounds as a starting point. like @supadom says it has the potential to be even more than the AFrame… but would take a massive amount of time and deep understanding of Drambo’s synth engine.

Hm thanks! Interesting… yeah a coherent system is very important to me… are there drambo presets ready to download? Didn’t use that one either so I probably have to dig a bit…..

• edited September 2021

@seventyfour said:

@Hmtx said:

@seventyfour said:

Hm thanks! Interesting… yeah a coherent system is very important to me… are there drambo presets ready to download? Didn’t use that one either so I probably have to dig a bit…..

I’ve made this one a while back. I’d probably make a bit different now but could be good as a starting point?

https://patchstorage.com/impaktor-2/

• @supadom said:

@seventyfour said:

@Hmtx said:

@seventyfour said:

I’ve made this one a while back. I’d probably make a bit different now but could be good as a starting point?

https://patchstorage.com/impaktor-2/

Perfect! Thanks!!

• @seventyfour said:

What I did was use an old Roland drumpad and a simple IRig audio interface . Works great.

• @supadom I thought I remembered you used a bop pad. Have you ever considered putting a piezo pickup on its head and running that directly into Drambo as opposed to triggering a sample that goes into the Drambo resonators? It would be a lot more expressive I think. Hitting different parts of the drum would sound different. You could also do both at the same time with two separate instances of Drambo for some nice layering.
    I’ve lately been splitting my Wavedrum outputs and running one into Impaktor and the other into NI Prism( a great physical modeling resonator). A foot pedal and envelope followers help with mixing all of the layers.

• @hypnopad said:

@seventyfour said:

What I did was use an old Roland drumpad and a simple IRig audio interface . Works great.

Hmmm yeah pure gold but I need it as auv3…. :(

• @seventyfour said:

@hypnopad said:

@seventyfour said:

I’ve been hoping for an Impaktor upgrade to AUv3 for a long while. Doubt it will ever happen.
    Looks like you will have to go the Drambo route or use a designated older/cheaper iPad solely as an Impaktor hardware device and route it’s audio into your main iPad daw/AUM or laptop system like I have.

• edited September 2021

There is an Impaktor 2, as a Drambo Patch on Patchstorage.com but I believe it sends midi, not audio, but I’m not certain.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    There is an Impaktor 2, as a Drambo Patch on Patchstorage.com but I believe it sends midi, not audio, but I’m not certain.

It receives midi in order to trigger a sample which is then fed into the resonators in Drambo. It’s an alternative way of triggering if you can’t go with a direct audio feed into the resonators. The direct audio feed results in a more expressive/ less static sound in my opinion.

• I just opened up Drambo’s Impaktor patch just to test in iOS 15 and its sounding really good. But it leaves you wanting MORE !

Has anyone made a tutorial on how to program this “feed into the resonators” magic you are talking about? I have got to learn Drambo basics first, but really the only appeal for me is making it into an Impaktor PRO substitute.

• edited September 2021

@Hmtx said:
    I just opened up Drambo’s Impaktor patch just to test in iOS 15 and its sounding really good. But it leaves you wanting MORE !

Has anyone made a tutorial on how to program this “feed into the resonators” magic you are talking about? I have got to learn Drambo basics first, but really the only appeal for me is making it into an Impaktor PRO substitute.

No tutorials that I know of. The first thing I did was to study the Impaktor presets provided and then add more to taste. A lot of it is over my head. I compared the amount of physical models in Impaktor vs Drambo and Impaktor has way more. I doubt Drambo could fully replace Impaktor. It does have a lot of pluses though: midi learn and scene changes.

Here is a video- (for readers who missed the original thread this one was directed from) where I play three instances of Drambo each with its own drumpad and scenes controlled by a midi controller.

• @Poppadocrock said:

That’s my patch! ;)

In order to get a classic impaktor sound in Drambo you need to hook up audio in module directly to the resonator module. They will auto connect if you just place them next to each other. You will likely need to select the source in the audio in module.

In impaktor midi midi signal is sent to impulse module or other sound generator with typically very short decay which goes into resonator. There’s also an FDN module (currently in beta) that recreates string sounds and can be freely combined with the resonator.

The advantage with midi is that random retriggering is less of a problem, which was often a big issue for me when playing live. I guess the expressiveness of the audio in method comes from the fact that a piezo will pick up different frequencies and resonator will respond differently to all of them. This however can be quite easily reproduced and surpassed using bop pad when values like velocity, radius and pressure can be assigned to modulate different parameters/characteristics.

I understand the desire for impaktor AUV3 because I was like that when Drambo first came out. I was pressing the dev to find time for impaktor until he absolutely reassured me that you can build a superimpaktor in Drambo.

Of course learning to at least reverse engineer is required to get decent results.

• @supadom said:

Of course learning to at least reverse engineer is required to get decent results.

• edited September 2021

App and cheap eBay piezo mic with 1/4” jack = about $10

Using it to replicate a $1,500 electronic drum = priceless

The piezo mic is just wedged under the lid of the tea tin, surprisingly accurate and expressive in Drambo and Impaktor

• @hypnopad said:
    Here is a video- (for readers who missed the original thread this one was directed from) where I play three instances of Drambo each with its own drumpad and scenes controlled by a midi controller.

What an inspiring demo of Drambo, I’m loving this. I had not heard this performance before.

• OK here's a re-post from the Touché thread, it's certainly got a better home in this thread.

I've done a bit of experimenting and tried to use the internal iDevice microphone first.
    My Drambo patch detects the difference between finger swipes over the microphone (going through resonators) and percussive hits on the microphone, triggering a kick drum in this example:

This is all played with just my index finger on the internal microphone.

It's far from finished but it should demonstrate what I mean.
    Of yourse you're free to build totally different models to your liking, I would also consider using MIDI controllers to modify the sound. That modern frame drum looks nice but there are so many ways to achieve the same or even better control 😉

No worries, I will post the patch sooner or later, it's just that I don't have the time atm to convert it to be compatible with the release version so please be patient...

Using resonators on the microphone input is no secret though, lots of room for experiments for everyone 😊

• edited September 2021

@rs2000 said:

Nice one! if you are willing to share the patch as a work-in-progress I would love to see how you made this.

• @Hmtx said:

@rs2000 said:

Nice one! if you are willing to share the patch as a work-in-progress I would love to see how you made this.

Good idea. Here's a quick rundown using screenshots.

LPF and HPF are to extract the prominent frequency ranges of finger hit and finger swipe over the microphone. I've tweaked it until the resulting levels for each were different enough depending on the finger movement.
    Subtract, invert, offset and hit muter into X-fader are there to avoid accidental kick drum triggering with stronger finger swipes.

Hit & Brush are just level indicators to help tweaking thresholds.
    Kick, EQ and Hit reverb make the kick drum.

Everything else are sound shaping resonators that turn finger swipes into something more drum-alike, including a pitch env that controls resonator pitches when stronger finger taps (=> kick drum) are detected.
    The separation of tap and swipe gives me more freedom to play with modulation and more control when choosing which gesture affects which modulation.

• @Hmtx said:

App and cheap eBay piezo mic with 1/4” jack = about $10

Using it to replicate a $1,500 electronic drum = priceless

The piezo mic is just wedged under the lid of the tea tin, surprisingly accurate and expressive in Drambo and Impaktor

Ha, this box looks like a lot of fun! I'd add a second piezo on one of the sides to feed the stereo input with different triggers, it shouldn't be too difficult to build a miniature tea tin cajon 😄

• @hypnopad said:

@seventyfour said:

@hypnopad said:

@seventyfour said:

I’ve been hoping for an Impaktor upgrade to AUv3 for a long while. Doubt it will ever happen.
    Looks like you will have to go the Drambo route or use a designated older/cheaper iPad solely as an Impaktor hardware device and route it’s audio into your main iPad daw/AUM or laptop system like I have.

I just recorded something with it on my iPhone and tried to export it, but the app crashed. First thing that I’ve found issues with on iOS 15.

Hope it gets updated, as it’s a truly unique app.