Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPads..Mini 6 /iPad 9.. Who’s in?

They’re back ordered but I think I’m going for the mini 6.. I could make music lying down .. And I wouldn’t be hunched over . The iPad 9 looks good too though. Anybody else ?

Comments

• If laying down is priority I recommend some sort of stand.

• As soon as I save enough money, I'm also going for the Mini 6. Means spending less time and money at the pub, but screw it. It's going to be worth it.

• Mini 6 for me. Although I was disappointed to read that Apple has throttled the CPU in comparison to the iPhone 13.

• @jonmoore said:
    Mini 6 for me. Although I was disappointed to read that Apple has throttled the CPU in comparison to the iPhone 13.

Only slightly though

• @AudioGus said:
    If laying down is priority I recommend some sort of stand.

There’s 3 gig of RAM, vs 4..
    BTW I meant the mini was for lying down..

• @Telstar5 said:

@AudioGus said:

>

There’s 3 gig of RAM, vs 4..
    BTW I meant the mini was for lying down..

I know, I use my mini on the stand too. Just saying for laying down that having a stand that lets you not have to hold your device is really nice.

As for the 3 vs 4 test, for me it has more to do with something like having safari loaded with a bunch of tabs open, working on a track in a daw, then after a while hopping back to safari and waiting for it to reload each page as opposed to those pages having remained loaded. Simply launching apps is not a problem, it is more the multitasking part I was referring to. Plus these apps look really light weight that they are using,

• iPad 9 on the way :) everything I was looking for since handing over my Air 3 to my son after his… 6 or 7 got cracked BAD

• edited September 2021

@AudioGus said:

Be careful of your posture in this position, especially your neck.

Back in 2018 I tried something similar like this but instead I laid on the couch, propped my head up on a pillow so that my neck was close to 90 degrees, and read a book. Didn't move from that position for about 2 hours because it was a really good book (The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss). I finish reading, get up and go to my music room to make music, and within 5 minutes I feel a pulse go from my right shoulder, travel down the right side of my body, my butt, down my leg to my foot, then back up to my neck. Then a few minutes later I noticed my right shoulder felt like I was pushing it forward and trying to cross my arm across my body. Got some tests done and I had a pinched nerve. Eventually a chiropractor did decompression therapy and that helped tremendously but at times my neck/shoulder still feels tight and never feels completely relaxed. Also doesn't help that I have TMJ issues on my right jaw too.

Moral of the story: Watch out with keeping your neck bent for too long because it can cause trouble. This goes for looking down at your phone, looking down at computer monitor, looking up at a tv, etc...

Instead, I bought a gooseneck stand that holds my iPad and can be twisted enough so that it faces directly downward, a cushion from Walmart that I lay on the ground, a mouse to attach to my iPad, and I make music lying down with my face facing upwards towards the iPad. My neck is never bent and is actually in a perfect position because I use a cervical pillow. So far so good.

• @trancespotter said:

@AudioGus said:

Back in 2018 I tried something similar like this but instead I laid on the couch, propped my head up on a pillow so that my neck was close to 90 degrees, and read a book. Didn't move from that position for about 2 hours because it was a really good book (The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss). I finish reading, get up and go to my music room to make music, and within 5 minutes I feel a pulse go from my right shoulder, travel down the right side of my body, my butt, down my leg to my foot, then back up to my neck. Then a few minutes later I noticed my right shoulder felt like I was pushing it forward and trying to cross my arm across my body. Got some tests done and I had a pinched nerve. Eventually a chiropractor did decompression therapy and that helped tremendously but at times my neck/shoulder still feels tight and never feels completely relaxed. Also doesn't help that I have TMJ issues on my right jaw too.

Moral of the story: Watch out with keeping your neck bent for too long because it can cause trouble. This goes for looking down at your phone, looking down at computer monitor, looking up at a tv, etc...

Instead, I bought a gooseneck stand that holds my iPad and can be twisted enough so that it faces directly downward, a cushion from Walmart that I lay on the ground, a mouse to attach to my iPad, and I make music lying down with my face facing upwards towards the iPad. My neck is never bent and is actually in a perfect position because I use a cervical pillow. So far so good.

I have found exercising with strand-pulling and/or Indian clubs to both be very good for shoulder and neck mobility.

• edited September 2021

@trancespotter said:

@AudioGus said:

Yah the photo for the most part is just showing the stand. In actual practice i am practically laying flat with the gooseneck stand on the ipad pointing down on me. The laptop is no longer in the equation too.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@trancespotter said:

@AudioGus said:

I have found exercising with strand-pulling and/or Indian clubs to both be very good for shoulder and neck mobility.

Yea, I'm going to start incorporating that into my self-care routine. Getting older now (37 years old) and actually in better shape now than when I was 25 but I still feel tight at times in my upper body due to low weight, high rep weight lifting.

Yoga has helped a lot too (shout out to Sara Beth Yoga on YouTube :wink: ).

• I'll likely get a Mini if I find a good deal. I just prefer that form factor. I reluctantly bought an iPad 8th gen base model last holiday season, even though rumors said a new iPad with a bigger screen and twice the storage was coming in the Spring. I kept my "old" iPad at iOS 12, but there were apps I wanted that required iPadOS 13 at a minimum. I could have got a better deal if I had waited, but I would have missed the app sales and being able to use them, so it's probably a wash.

• @Telstar5 said:
    They’re back ordered but I think I’m going for the mini 6.. I could make music lying down .. And I wouldn’t be hunched over . The iPad 9 looks good too though. Anybody else ?

If my mobile provider does the same deal that got me this iPad 6, I’ll get the iPad 9. I’m really happy with the performance of the A13 and can’t justify the Air or Pro. I had a Mini 1, but found the screen too small for some things so I’ll pass on the new version

• I currently use a 2018 Pro and a Mac mini. The iPad doubles as my work laptop when needed, with a keyboard case.

But the iPad is still a terrible laptop replacement for what I need, so I’m very tempted to switch to a an iPad mini and a MacBook Pro, and sell the Mac mini. Those M1 Macs are just fine hooked up to a monitor too.

Which is to say, I’m severely tempted by the mini. I even wrote about it.

https://www.lifewire.com/why-i-must-have-the-new-ipad-mini-5201514

• @mistercharlie :Nice article though I’m leaning toward the iPad 9 for now

• lets see....

ipad mini....

underclocked? dont care
    not mmwave? dont care
    no headphone jack? dont care
    no button? dont care
    no more disgusting gold color? bummer but i'll deal
    usb-c? YASSSSS SIGN ME UP FOR THAT SH*T!!!!!

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    lets see....

ipad mini....

underclocked? dont care
    not mmwave? dont care
    no headphone jack? dont care
    no button? dont care
    no more disgusting gold color? bummer but i'll deal
    usb-c? YASSSSS SIGN ME UP FOR THAT SH*T!!!!!

(its been a long week waiting)

• edited September 2021

I’m heading to the Apple Store tomorrow to check one out. The only thing putting me off is the price—the mini is so portable it seems crazy not to get cellular, and for future proofing you need the 256 GB model—and then we’re talking serious money.

It reminds me of when I bought an Apple Pencil in a local mall electronics store. The checkout person asked me for the €120 or whatever, and an old lady in the line behind me said, “That’s a very expensive pencil.”

• Mini 6/64GB/wifi here. Will be much pared down appwise compared to my 256GB Air 4 - no Syntronik or Pure Synth on here! Going to use it for the couch/bed and when I am out of the house on a more regular basis.

Interested to see how StaffPad looks/works on the smaller screen although that alone is over 16GB, eek.

Pleased that they didn’t bring out another Pencil especially for the Mini.

• It's funny how the iPad Mini 5 was the smart money buy when it was released. It's currently roughly the same price as it was at launch (there's little sign of significant discounting). And the Mini 6 is definitely the current generation Air made smaller in dimensions but with an equivalent premium pricing.

The recent Guardian review was very complimentary about everything other than the price. The equivalently dimensioned Android products are £100-200. Quite obviously those mini Android tablets can't match the Mini 6 in any other department.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/22/apple-ipad-mini-2021-review-the-best-small-tablet-gets-stunning-revamp

• @CapnWillie said:

@AudioGus said:

This takes couch vegging to another level lol. However, it would stop me from dozing off and dropping my iPad Pro on my mouth. So far I’ve logged 2 busted lips, 15 curse words, and countless chuckles from my wife 💥😩🤕

My other half isn’t so amused. Then again, she’s got the sense of humor of a doorknob. Let me stop…

• edited September 2021

@mistercharlie said:
    I’m heading to the Apple Store tomorrow to check one out. The only thing putting me off is the price—the mini is so portable it seems crazy not to get cellular, and for future proofing you need the 256 GB model—and then we’re talking serious money.

It reminds me of when I bought an Apple Pencil in a local mall electronics store. The checkout person asked me for the €120 or whatever, and an old lady in the line behind me said, “That’s a very expensive pencil.”

The older model is still on the website. And they show up on the refurb/clearance page often with is an additional 15-20% off (with same warranty and still cannget applecare). 256 celluars there are like right around the 500-525$ range. (And youll get the headphone jack)

• edited September 2021

So,whats the best way to deal with the "no headphone jack" bs these days?I like the new mini but maybe ill just fix the display of my 10,5 pro (2017) instead.

• @Crabman said:
    So,whats the best way to deal with the "no headphone jack" bs these days?I like the new mini but maybe ill just fix the display of my 10,5 pro (2017) instead.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MU7E2ZM/A/usb-c-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter

You won't be able to run at higher sample rates, but this is still the cheapest and smallest solution in town. And it's not very often you can say that of an Apple product.

You can of course go Bluetooth but the audio quality won't be as good.

• usb headphone adapter straight in or into the hub you currently use.
    i actually have a couple of these coming tomorrow with the new ipad just to see if it works since i usually only travel with headphones and 1 controller

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TPS44SL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• @Telstar5 said:

Back ordered? I wrote to Amazon Canada and they said that the iPad Mini 6 can be ship on September 24 and I can receive it something like 2 days later. Maybe I received a wrong info.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@Telstar5 said:

Back ordered? I wrote to Amazon Canada and they said that the iPad Mini 6 can be ship on September 24 and I can receive it something like 2 days later. Maybe I received a wrong info.

Or maybe I did, lol

• @Telstar5 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@Telstar5 said:

Or maybe I did, lol

If I want to order an iPad Mini on the Apple Store Application, the delay of shipping is 50 days. So maybe you are right.

• edited September 2021

Shipping slipped 4 weeks on the space grey/256/celluar model a few hours after preorders started, which is weird for a cellular model.

Edit, but on a side note.......

• Is the M1 chips on the iPad Pro fastest than the A15 chips on the iPad Mini 6 for music production?