Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Neon Audio Editor by 4Pockets.com - Released

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1583946986

Description:

Neon is a lightweight digital audio editor and recording plugin compatible with any AUv3 host. It supports most major iOS file formats, and allows simple drag and drop between plugins. The editor allows you to import audio from a file or the system clipboard, as well as the ability to record incoming audio.

As an editor it supports all the usual functionality you would expect as well as being able to edit samples on a per sample basis at extreme zoom levels.

Neon also contains a number of built in effects that can be applied to the whole file or a selection. Effects can be previewed and tweaked prior to applying an effect.

Neon can also be used as a clip launcher within an AUv3 Host, with the ability to remotely trigger one shot or looped samples. The Warp function can automatically adjust the tempo of a clip to the host tempo without affecting pitch.

○ Record directly from other plugins.
○ Auto Start via trigger level supported.
○ Set maximum recording lengths in Beats / Seconds for perfect loops.
○ Drag and Drop Support between apps.
○ Drag and Drop selections to other apps.
○ AudioShare support.
○ Built in Effects.
○ Export to WAV, M4A, MP3 and FLAC formats.
○ Warp / Time Stretch functionality for syncing to host.
○ Host Sync.
○ Media Bay file manager for organising your clips.
○ Ability to set short name and colour in AUM.
○ Configurable MIDI Support for clip launching.
○ Supports iOS General Clipboard operations
○ Run multiple instances

Note: Neon imposes a 15min sample length limit on recordings due to it's memory restrictions as an AUv3 plugin.

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 11.4
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• woo hoo! good day for sample manipulating

• love the sample length limiter, and the recording mode that doesn’t start untill audio starts. very handy. between this and Koala. this is a whole new way of recording on ios

• Best pitch shifter - time stretcher on iOS

• @cuscolima said:
    Best pitch shifter - time stretcher on iOS

You mean Koala or Neon ?

• @Jeezs said:

@cuscolima said:

You mean Koala or Neon ?

Always funny to see how similar apps are released at the same moment…

I mean Neon but I still haven’t given Koala a chance

• edited September 2021

Ah - bugger! Really looking forward to this for the time stretching to host feature but I’m getting an instant crash in NanoStudio2 (both as an “editor” instrument or as a “recorder” FX) when importing a sample using Neon’s files menu in the top right (it happens when I’ve selected the sample from the Files app Integration in Neon) :neutral:

iPhoneXR, iOS 13.3

I really hate to be that guy. Sorry.

@4Pockets_Support

• Does Neon have features that would make it good for wavetable editing?

Specifically, the ability to edit using "samples" as the unit of measurement, instead of working in lengths of Beats or Time.

I'd like to be able to record from other instruments and effects in AUM, then be able to edit and time stretch recordings for export as a 2048 sample per frame X 256 frame long, wavetable files for use in Drambo or Synthmaster.

• @horsetrainer said:
    Does Neon have features that would make it good for wavetable editing?

Specifically, the ability to edit using "samples" as the unit of measurement, instead of working in lengths of Beats or Time.

I'd like to be able to record from other instruments and effects in AUM, then be able to edit and time stretch recordings for export as a 2048 sample per frame X 256 frame long, wavetable files for use in Drambo or Synthmaster.

From the dev’s description:
    “ As an editor it supports all the usual functionality you would expect as well as being able to edit samples on a per sample basis at extreme zoom levels.”

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@attakk said:
    Ah - bugger! Really looking forward to this for the time stretching to host feature but I’m getting an instant crash in NanoStudio2 (both as an “editor” instrument or as a “recorder” FX) when importing a sample using Neon’s files menu in the top right (it happens when I’ve selected the sample from the Files app Integration in Neon) :neutral:

iPhoneXR, iOS 13.3

I really hate to be that guy. Sorry.

@4Pockets_Support

support @ 4pockets.com is the official email address for reporting bugs.
    His tag on the forum is @4pockets. He doesn't always check in here though.

• With Loopy Pro somewhere on the horizon I haven’t yet jumped in with both feet with this one like I would normally. I expect a tutorial will be along shortly but if anyone can answer these questions it would be very helpful:

1. Is it limited to 16-bit recordings? There was some talk of adding 24-bit in there and so I wondered if that sneaked in.
    2. Can samples be copied from one part of the timeline and inserted to another (rather than destructively overwrite)?
    3. I like the idea of being able to drag the sample to another app. Does doing a select all and then drag work with Koala AU pads?
    4. Can you do multiple takes of n beats/bars one after the other and then loop just the one you like, i.e. does the “record n bars” functionality destructively overwrite everything that was already there or can you append to an existing recording?

Max recording length and triggering are the main features I like the look of in this.

• @attakk said:

@horsetrainer said:
    Does Neon have features that would make it good for wavetable editing?

From the dev’s description:
    “ As an editor it supports all the usual functionality you would expect as well as being able to edit samples on a per sample basis at extreme zoom levels.”

I did read that.

I was hoping someone who had bought Neon could confirm if this app can "display the length in samples" to enable selecting a region of a file by sample length... instead of using Time or BPM as the unit of measurement... Then export that as a "sample length trimmed" wav file.

For recording instruments w/effects in AUM for wavetable use, an editor would Ideally also be able to time stretch in small enough increments to allow realignment of frequency to one wave cycle per each 2048 sample frame.

I'm just wondering how usefully this editor might be for my purposes.

To the best of my knowledge, iPadOS has no editor with features for working with wavetable files. I'm hoping Neon might offer some useful features for this purpose.

• @>; @wim said:

Cheers - I’ll try that. I have in the meantime dm’d to the _support & the _paul 4Pockets account’s here. I didn’t have the support email address but had noticed that the company website is currently down for maintenance.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@horsetrainer - It seems to me like Auditor should have all the features you need. I loaded up some single cycle waveforms and it works fine. Appending, inserting, etc. all fine and the ruler can display and snap to samples.

• Yesterday there was no decent solution for recording and looping audio in AUM. Today we have Neon and Koala. And shortly Loopy Pro… good days for audio!

• @cuscolima said:

It has time stretch? What algorithm does it use?

• @wim said:

Ok! Solved it!

Opened Neon stand-alone (I hadn’t done this previously - went straight to the Auv3 in my eagerness), imported successfully a sample loop to the audio pool. Closed the stand-alone, opened NanoStudio2, added an au instrument track, inserted Neon(editor) instrument, tried to import a sample - success!!

And yeah, that Warp function (ie auto timestretch to host tempo) is sweet!

I like it - a lot!!

@4Pockets @4Pockets_Support @4pockets_paul

• @wim said:
    @horsetrainer - It seems to me like Auditor should have all the features you need. I loaded up some single cycle waveforms and it works fine. Appending, inserting, etc. all fine and the ruler can display and snap to samples.

Auditor has been on my want-list for awhile.

I really like the idea of being able to record then edit "all in one AUv3, in AUM". That's why I'm asking these questions about Neon.

IIRC, Auditor is a standalone app only. (Not necessarily awful, but it makes for a less-in-the-moment workflow, IMO)

I think I'm reaching the stage where I just don't want to keep buying every next app that looks good, and then only rarely use it because it doesn't do quite what I though it would...

• Still hoping that one day there would be an audio editor for iOS that could: Preview and apply third party AU effects to a selected area of a sample just like Wavelab. Really missing something like that..

• @Bietfriek said:
    Still hoping that one day there would be an audio editor for iOS that could: Preview and apply third party AU effects to a selected area of a sample just like Wavelab. Really missing something like that..

Neon can apply its own built in effects to a selected area of the sample - I know that isn’t external Auv3 effects but still. Paul demoed that exact functionality in the yt video posted in Neon’s “coming soon” thread a short while back.

• Does this enable the artist to edit warp markers ? That would definitely nudge me towards a purchase.

At the moment I’m very happy with Auditor and will only consider Neon for it’s clip launching capabilites if the warp engine allows a decent amount of artist control. Ideally I’d like the warp markers to offer the elasitic audio characteristics of Ableton. It’s as much bending the audio to you needs as it is about editing warp marker placement.

• I can answer some of these questions:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    With Loopy Pro somewhere on the horizon I haven’t yet jumped in with both feet with this one like I would normally. I expect a tutorial will be along shortly but if anyone can answer these questions it would be very helpful:

1. Is it limited to 16-bit recordings? There was some talk of adding 24-bit in there and so I wondered if that sneaked in.

Not yet, though based on comments on his YouTube channel, I believe he's willing to consider it.

1. Can samples be copied from one part of the timeline and inserted to another (rather than destructively overwrite)?

Yes

1. I like the idea of being able to drag the sample to another app. Does doing a select all and then drag work with Koala AU pads?

Unfortunately not at the moment, but this seems to be an issue with Koala (and sEGments as well) rather than Neon. You can drag from Neon to Files, and other 4 pockets apps. I've emailed the devs of Koala and sEGments asking them to support drag & drop from public.audio providers.

1. Can you do multiple takes of n beats/bars one after the other and then loop just the one you like, i.e. does the “record n bars” functionality destructively overwrite everything that was already there or can you append to an existing recording?

In Settings, you can enable Append Recordings, then set Record Length Limit to n bars. I use this to sequentially record n bar chunks from various sources, ending up with a compilation.

Max recording length and triggering are the main features I like the look of in this.

• edited September 2021

I would like an audio editor to round out the functionality of my iPad for music production. I only really need standalone as I can't see how I'd use this in Nanostudio or Cubasis. With that in mind would Auditor be a better choice, for those that have used both?

• 16-bit recording?

• @GRiker Thank you for answering those questions. Sounds like it ticks enough boxes outside of the actual audio editing (I will still use Auditor and MultiTrackStudio) to be worth the download and there will be the usual bonus features added over time.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    @GRiker Thank you for answering those questions. Sounds like it ticks enough boxes outside of the actual audio editing (I will still use Auditor and MultiTrackStudio) to be worth the download and there will be the usual bonus features added over time.

One benefit that I'm already hooked on is using it as a helper app for Digistix 2 and Multitrack Recorder. Copying and pasting between the apps is a breeze. For apps that don't yet receive drag & drop from Neon, you can at least go through the Files app. Inconvenient, but workable.

• @tahiche said:
    Yesterday there was no decent solution for recording and looping audio in AUM.

4pockets "MultiTrack Recorder"?

• @auxmux said:
    16-bit recording?

That’s what it seems like according to @GRiker in the comment above. That will definitely keep me from purchasing it right now. It’s 2021…24-bit should be standard, or an option at least.

• @mtenk said:

@auxmux said:
    16-bit recording?

That’s what it seems like according to @GRiker in the comment above. That will definitely keep me from purchasing it right now. It’s 2021…24-bit should be standard, or an option at least.

Apparently the tradeoff is the RAM limitation on AUv3 plugins. I believe that Paul opted to support more simultaneous instances, anticipating that clip launching would be a popular feature. 24-bit recording buffers would be larger, thus reducing the overall capacity.

Obviously, implementing 24-bit as a user option would put the tradeoff in the user's hands. On YT he seemed to indicate that if there was enough demand, he'd consider adding it.

• @Simon said:

@tahiche said:
    Yesterday there was no decent solution for recording and looping audio in AUM.

4pockets "MultiTrack Recorder"?

Yeah, that was the closest and the best solution when it got the trigger looping thing, but feels a bit “crowded” having all instruments/tracks in the same place, and feels sort like a workaround. Also no timestreching…. Plus I get weird sample rate issues at times.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@jonmoore said:
    Does this enable the artist to edit warp markers ? That would definitely nudge me towards a purchase.

At the moment I’m very happy with Auditor and will only consider Neon for it’s clip launching capabilites if the warp engine allows a decent amount of artist control. Ideally I’d like the warp markers to offer the elasitic audio characteristics of Ableton. It’s as much bending the audio to you needs as it is about editing warp marker placement.

I can't tell from your comment whether or not you know that you can edit warp markers in Auditor. It's in the slicing tool and works great. nvm if you already knew that. ;)