Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Observations

Comments

• This (Great writers on the power of music), from the estimable Brain Pickings/Maria Popova:

https://mailchi.mp/brainpickings/writers-music?e=50fd06132b

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    This (Great writers on the power of music), from the estimable Brain Pickings/Maria Popova:

https://mailchi.mp/brainpickings/writers-music?e=50fd06132b

Good stuff. Music is fascinating: why do our brains react emotionally to air pressure changes that are mathematically related? It's just so weird. It's a mystery as profound as any.

The Oliver Sacks quote at the end was particularly good.

• for me it was the Kurt Vonnegut quote,, that music, above all else, “made being alive almost worthwhile” that had me smiling :)

i read this book some time ago, but remember finding it clear, and full of possibility.

apparently Elvis was also interested.

"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" - Bob Marley

i wonder if sound hits us hardest, because of a vibrational Nature, closer to solid?

and on an unrelated, but Kurt Vonnegut note,,,

https://www.ge.com/news/reports/cool-science-vonnegut-ge-research

• @simonnowis said:
    for me it was the Kurt Vonnegut quote,, that music, above all else, “made being alive almost worthwhile” that had me smiling :)

Precisely. Music can certainly be exalting, but it can also find that other miserable stream of hurt or loss or grief...music to kill yourself by etc etc.

"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" - Bob Marley

Bob, of course, makes me feel more optimistic. Bless 'im.

• Ian K Tindale’s connections – Give My Regards to Broad Street (1984)

• From: https://www.statista.com/chart/17244/us-music-revenue-by-format/

Over the past few years, streaming services such as Spotify and Apple Music have revolutionized the way we listen to music. According to recent figures published by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), streaming, both ad-supported and subscription-based, accounted for 83 percent of music industry revenues in the U.S. last year, up from less than 10 percent in 2010. At $7.0 billion, paid subscriptions accounted for the lion’s share of streaming revenue in 2020, which in total amounted to $10.1 billion. To put that in perspective, all physical music sales combined amounted to just $1.1 billion last year, with downloads adding another $674 million to the music industry’s total haul of $12.2 billion.

Interestingly, the streaming revolution hasn’t been the first complete shift in music consumption over the past 30 years. As the following chart, based on historical RIAA figures, shows, vinyl records, cassettes, CDs and downloads have all been the predominant form of music consumption at some point in the past three decades, with the compact disc’s reign particularly long and lucrative for the music industry. Inflation-adjusted music revenue peaked in 1999 at $22.7 billion at a time when the CD was also in its prime. That year CD sales alone amounted to $20 billion, more than twice the recording industry’s total revenue for 2018. After hitting a low point in 2014, the music industry started recovering: thanks to the steep increase in streaming subscriptions, 2020 marked the sixth consecutive year of growing music revenues.

• I’m holding out for the resurgence on ringtones.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I’m holding out for the resurgence on ringtones.

Agreed. All my best work was rungtoned. An artist needs cultural timing more than almost anything. I've been unlucky.

• edited March 2021

I don't know who this is for, but if it's useful to you do take it...

"Friendship is a mirror to presence and a testament to forgiveness. Friendship not only helps us see ourselves through another’s eyes, but can be sustained over the years only with someone who has repeatedly forgiven us for our trespasses as we must find it in ourselves to forgive them in turn. A friend knows our difficulties and shadows and remains in sight, a companion to our vulnerabilities more than our triumphs, when we are under the strange illusion we do not need them. An undercurrent of real friendship is a blessing exactly because its elemental form is rediscovered again and again through understanding and mercy. All friendships of any length are based on a continued, mutual forgiveness. Without tolerance and mercy all friendships die." -David Whyte

• edited April 2021

For the record (ha!), I am having these people as my backing band and @iansainsbury will be playing the piano and we will be going on tour to all points left and right and the mule will be coming with us also. Or, I will just do what I am told by whichever one will have me and will have moved to Georgia (the other one) by the time you come looking:

• edited April 2021

Gooseberry jam
    on toast for tea
    and it's been more
    than thirty years
    since I had
    such a thing
    and not once
    in all those days
    did this type of jam
    cross my mind
    but here it is
    by the jar
    and from Sweden
    to Texas no less
    bringing grandmother
    memories
    and suddenly
    a deep wondering
    about what I am doing
    with my life.

During the time
    that it’s nothing
    time is also
    everything.

• That entire interview with Mr Jones is good, as is the one he did about Basquiat, I’ll see if I can dig that one out, it’s great.

• This is the one:

• edited June 2021

“Good people are always so sure they’re right.”

— Barbara Graham

• @JeffChasteen said:
    “Good people are always so sure they’re right.”

— Barbara Graham

50 Reasons to Love Joni Mitchell’s ‘Blue’:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/06/20/arts/music/joni-mitchell-blue.html

:)

• edited June 2021

There's a song in this somewhere....

• edited July 2021

If you haven't read it then:

On Writing: A Memoir Of The Craft by Stephen King

is worth punching into Amazon.

Kindle editon is currently $2.99 here in Cowboyville.

One of the absolute best 'about writing' volumes I've ever read.

• @u0421793 said:
    I’ve just reviewed The Land That Time Forgot (1974) in which I almost don’t review it at all

Ian K Tindale’s connections – The Land That Time Forgot (1974)

I remember my mom taking me and my brother to see that movie. 10 year old me thought it was pretty cool.

• The left turn into darkness with that last one, @JohnnyGoodyear .

• edited August 2021

Very good/interesting piece from The Blackpool Sentinel blog thing (which is inteself worth a follow/dig about), starts off with a very young U2, but segues into some of the showband history of Ireland and then especially Seán Lucey of The Dixies who has died.

Worth your ten minutes.

• Nam June Paik’s prepared toy piano at his Exposition of Music – Electronic Television, Galerie Parnass, Wuppertal, March 11-20, 1963