Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai EWI SOLO for iPads, question about compatibility

there is a very good MIDI wind controller called NuRAD, but there is a long waiting list. For the mean time I need a wind controller that is available now, which also should work with the iPad via USB. The EWI SOLO was released in 2020, so it should be Class Compliant, and therefore work with the iPad.

I just want to make sure that this is the case. Does anyone have experience with the EWI SOLO and direct USB connection to the iPad?

Comments

• I have no experience with the solo. I am sure it is class compliant.
    The nice thing about the solo is that it sends high precission breath.
    Respiro and Evi-ner are two soft synths for wind synth that are able to react to 14 bit breath.
    I use a yamaha usb to bluetooth dongle for my ewi-usb. Being wireless is a big pre, having stepped on the cable many times...
    Maybe another controller you might want to consider is the Sylphio. It is already bluetooth capable and has many gestures for special functions.

• edited September 2021

I have an older USB EWI and it is class compliant and works on an iPad fine. The only issue is that it needs a powered USB hub for connection, as a direct connection to the iPad results in an error message that the iPad can’t support a device with the EWI’s power requirement.

• thank you gentlemen, this is good information. Didn't know that Respiro, my main (only) virtual instrument for wind control, can react to 14 bit breath control. Something to consider, although I must say that 7 bit is well interpolated in Respiro.

The Sylphyo is interesting, but rather expensive.

• @michael_m said:
    I have an older USB EWI and it is class compliant and works on an iPad fine. The only issue is that it needs a powered USB hub for connection, as a direct connection to the iPad results in an error message that the iPad can’t support a device with the EWI’s power requirement.

I also use an EWI USB with an iPad (Pro 2017). Using a bluetooth midi dongle and a small usb charger is a clean alternative to using USB cable and USB hub.

Bluetooth with the $50 Yamaha UDBT01 Bluetooth midi adapter and a cheap usb charger works well, easy to attach to EWI. You could do same setup with EWI Solo. The EWI USB is cheaper than the Solo, has no internal sounds (needs to be attached to external synth like iPad) and USB has 5 octave range vs Solo's 7 octaves. Here's video that shows how to set EWI USB up with UDBT01 and a charger for wireless playing:

• Yes, I think o connected to a few devices and it worked with everything, including an unpowered hub.

The only thing that caused the issue was a direct connection to the iPad.

• Here's an old thread about EWIs that has a lot of general information about wind synthesis on iOS.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17944/ewi-users

• How about a wmd with a lyricon? :smiley: