Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Midi to hardware synth

Hey, I'm soon going to a studio that's equipped with a Nord Wave 2.
I'd like to send some stuff I composed with ChordPolyPad to the Nord Wave 2 but I'm not used to controlling hardware with my iPad. I can see on the synth's specs that it does Midi over USB.
Does that mean that I can send Midi from my iPad to the Nord Wave 2 via USB, just by using a CCK?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• There is probably a couple of ways to send midi from your iPad to the Nord. An easy way is with an audio interface with midi in and out.

You plug your iPad via USB and CCK on the AI. And you plug the midi IN of the Nord to the midi OUT of the AI.

• edited September 2021

I use one of these and it works fantastic…
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/iConnectivity/mioXC-USB-C-USB-A-Compatible-MIDI-Interface.gc
    It’s like a MIDI Swiss Army Knife. Plug Mio MIDI out into Wave MIDI in and USB C into iPad or USB A in CCK.

You could add this little adapter for ultimate connectivity:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Compatible-Transmission-Connector-Converter/dp/B08RHK2KXC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=usb+c+to+lightning+adapter&qid=1631552691&sr=8-4

• Ok get it! And thanks for the recommendation @Stuntman_mike
    I'm thinking of getting an iRid Midi 2. I'm guessing that it would work without a cck, but I'd still need the cck if I need to power the iPad? Am I right @Montreal_Music ?

• If the synth does MIDI-over-USB then you need no more than a CCK and a USB cable. Have done this with a Tempest, TD-3 and KeyStep here, all work fine. Using a dedicated MIDI interface or audio interface with MIDI ports is another option.

• @stelvio said:
    Ok get it! And thanks for the recommendation @Stuntman_mike
    I'm thinking of getting an iRid Midi 2. I'm guessing that it would work without a cck, but I'd still need the cck if I need to power the iPad? Am I right @Montreal_Music ?

It's just my opinion, but instead of paying 70$ for a midi to USB cable, why not buying a MOTU M2 ? I know it's 3 times the price, but it's super useful.

• @Montreal_Music I was actually considering this one! ;)

• @MadGav yea that was my original thought. It says it does Midi over USB in the specs (not the case in previous nord wave models). I guess it should do both midi in and out via usb.

• edited September 2021

@stelvio said:
    @Montreal_Music I was actually considering this one! ;)

MOTU M2 is unbeatable for the price.

Solid (no plastic, no flimsy or wobbly knobs)
    Midi IN and OUT
    ON/OFF button (not all AI have this option)
    And when I plug my guitar in it to use my iPad as a multi-effects, I have 0 latency

For 230$ Canadian dollars, it's the cream of the crop.

• @Montreal_Music I saw it have only good reviews, since you own it: can you use all output at the same time? It would be nice to have 2 pair of monitors plugged to it when I'm at home (nice for A/B comparisons).

• @stelvio said:
    @Montreal_Music I saw it have only good reviews, since you own it: can you use all output at the same time? It would be nice to have 2 pair of monitors plugged to it when I'm at home (nice for A/B comparisons).

Good question. I always only use 1 output (RCA) for my speakers. So I don't know.

• @Montreal_Music that makes sense, really recommend quadraphony. It's super immersive.

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

The Nord should work with nothing more than the CCK and a USB Cable. BUT, I would bring along one of these as a backup in case the Nord isn't fully Class Compliant: USB MIDI Interface Cable - MIDI to USB 1 in 1 Out Cable Converter

Under $20, completely iOS compatible, and useful in any situation where standard MIDI connection is needed. Also works seamlessly with macOS and Windows.

• @wim thanks wim! I used to have one of these. was very useful.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@stelvio said:
    Ok get it! And thanks for the recommendation @Stuntman_mike

It's just my opinion, but instead of paying 70$ for a midi to USB cable, why not buying a MOTU M2 ? I know it's 3 times the price, but it's super useful.

Pretty!

• So far the Meeblip cubit go has worked fine for me

https://meeblip.com/

• Just to send MIDI, a CME Widi Master is appealingly wireless:

https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-master-what-can-it-do-for-you/

• I use a Scarlett 2i2 to handle audio and Irig2 to handle midi. I have a USB block for USB synths and keeping everything powered and talking over USB. Then I use AUM to handle midi routing. Works very well

• I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface to handle audio and Midi. It has 4 XLR combo inputs on the front. Never have an issue with the Scarlett's and iPads.

• A side question please...
    Can the USB-C of my iPad Pro handle both audio and MIDI ?
    For example, in the MOTU2 above I see there is a USB-C on the rear panel. So if I plug the USB-C of my iPad to the USB-C of the MOTU2 (so obviously with a USB-C to USB-C cable), can I have both audio and MIDI going thru the MOTU ? Thanks a lot !

• @Paulo164 said:
    A side question please...
    For example, in the MOTU2 above I see there is a USB-C on the rear panel. So if I plug the USB-C of my iPad to the USB-C of the MOTU2 (so obviously with a USB-C to USB-C cable), can I have both audio and MIDI going thru the MOTU ? Thanks a lot !

You will need a hub.

The “hub” I use is integrated into the ESI M4UeX MIDI interface I have which handily reduces “dongle sprawl”:
    iPad 8 - USB3 CCK - M4UeX - Evo 4

• @MadGav said:

@Paulo164 said:

You will need a hub.

The “hub” I use is integrated into the ESI M4UeX MIDI interface I have which handily reduces “dongle sprawl”:

Why does he need a hub to connect one USB-C interface, that handles both audio and MIDI, to a USB-C iPad Pro?

• @uncledave said:

@MadGav said:

@Paulo164 said:

You will need a hub.

Why does he need a hub to connect one USB-C interface, that handles both audio and MIDI, to a USB-C iPad Pro?

He doesn’t for a single interface. I skip read and assumed separate audio and MIDI interfaces…

• I can send audio and Midi from iPad to Ableton on my laptop with just the lightning cable.

• @MadGav said:

@uncledave said:

@MadGav said:

@Paulo164 said:

You will need a hub.

He doesn’t for a single interface. I skip read and assumed separate audio and MIDI interfaces…

Thank you @MadGav .
    Yes, I was thinking about sending MIDI+Audio with one single USB-C cable to an interface. So I was wondering if this MOTU2 could handle this with its USB-C plug.

• @stelvio said:
    I can send audio and Midi from iPad to Ableton on my laptop with just the lightning cable.

Ok, thanks. Good to know.
    So now I wonder how to know which interfaces can handles this « dual » mode by reading the specifications alone. Is it a standard specification with its dedicated terminology ?

• @Paulo164 said:

@stelvio said:
    I can send audio and Midi from iPad to Ableton on my laptop with just the lightning cable.

So now I wonder how to know which interfaces can handles this « dual » mode by reading the specifications alone. Is it a standard specification with its dedicated terminology ?

iOS to MacOS has IDAM for directly connect devices. It is built into the OS.

• edited September 2021

@Paulo164 said:

@stelvio said:

@stelvio is talking about the Apple IDAM feature which enable digital communication between an iOS device and a Mac. I believe you're asking about hardware interfaces that handle both analog audio and conventional 5-pin MIDI, independent of another computer. Any of these USB Audio interfaces with MIDI connections should be able to do it. Just make sure it's "Class Compliant". If they talk about driver downloads, and never mention iOS, it can get tricky. There's lots of discussion about interfaces in this forum, good, bad, and really expensive. And if an iOS compatible audio interface also has MIDI connections, it should just work. And, yes, that Motu M2 is an example.

• Thanks @espiegel123 & @uncledave for these explanations :)