Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom | Piano Roll 2 is now available

Comments

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Has anyone heard from @blueveek recently? it seems like months since we've hear anything.

Perhaps Viktor has been away from keyboard after several month of 16/7 labourweeks?

Just like the Synthmaster guys - they must have some rest once in a while!

No offense intended. I was just wondering if anyone has heard from him. Hopefully, he didn't burn out to the point of losing interest.

• edited October 2021

Is there a way to continue to play an ‘overhanging’ note at the end of a sequence when it loops back to the beginning again? I presume there is, I’m just not sure how to do it. Let’s say I want to start a note playing a pad sound just 1/16 before the end of an 8 bar sequence, and have it play all the way until the ‘next’ note which starts just before bar 3. So this end note would continue to play when the sequence loops back to the beginning, without cutting off, for the length I’ve drawn it into the end of the piano roll.

Amazing how many times we need this, right? Anyone know how to set this up?

• wimwim
    edited October 2021

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Is there a way to continue to play an ‘overhanging’ note at the end of a sequence when it loops back to the beginning again? I presume there is, I’m just not sure how to do it. Let’s say I want to start a note playing a pad sound just 1/16 before the end of an 8 bar sequence, and have it play all the way until the ‘next’ note which starts just before bar 3. So this end note would continue to play when the sequence loops back to the beginning, without cutting off, for the length I’ve drawn it into the end of the piano roll.

I haven't tried it, but I think "Loop with legato" under the Launch button is what you want.

Loop with legato

When enabled, any notes which extend beyond the loop brace will play for their full duration, instead of being truncated as the pattern loops around. This gives a more natural feel to looped melodies.

• @sujoybose77 mfxConvert is great for this. You can map notes to CCs easily. And it's cheap.

A recent new discovery for me was that you can map multiple conversions in one instance. If you leave the 'learn' button on, you can just carry on adding new midi events to convert after you've set up the first conversion. So you can map multiple notes to multiple CCs in one go. And it's super simple too.

• edited October 2021

@SimonSomeone said:
    @sujoybose77 mfxConvert is great for this. You can map notes to CCs easily. And it's cheap.

A recent new discovery for me was that you can map multiple conversions in one instance. If you leave the 'learn' button on, you can just carry on adding new midi events to convert after you've set up the first conversion. So you can map multiple notes to multiple CCs in one go. And it's super simple too.

My need is not just to map notes to cc. That I can do using Mozaic.
    I want to record an arpeggio in Atom-2 (say starting with root C) and then want to transpose that SAME arpeggio up by 7 semitones by triggering G and so on (keeping it in scale using Rozeta scaler may be).

• @blueveek said:

@Intrepolicious said:
    Aww nobody commented on the atom dream I had:(

I mean... I've read it at least, and it was quite the literary journey :)

@onerez said:
    So what the heck..... I am trying to do a simple recording of autony into Atom2. I have it set right I believe no quantized note selected.. Atom does not pick up all the notes. It misses some every now and again???

What have I done wrong?

I'd be frustrated or confused as well if that were happening to me. If you can, please send me a test project which exhibits this behavior, and I'll have a look. Papercuts like these are something I'm very interested in ironing out – the first experience with the app shouldn't have any surprises like these.

@onerez said:
    Also how the heck you access the manual from the in help?? I mean it launches the manual and there are pointers to a web version but you cant click them. They are not hyper linked?

AUs are not allowed to open hyperlinks in an external browser. The only workaround could be to open a browser within the AU itself, but then you'd then still have to copy the link and open it externally yourself, as many things (e.g. downloading) are disabled or not working properly. Sadly, the only thing you can do for now is either type the short url in a browser yourself, or follow @tk32's link from the previous comment.

Any chance for a Black Friday deal? I don't want to sounds cheap, but I buy so many apps that I need to buy them in sale. 200$ in a month is quickly spent for an audio dabbler!

• @wim said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

I haven't tried it, but I think "Loop with legato" under the Launch button is what you want.

Loop with legato

When enabled, any notes which extend beyond the loop brace will play for their full duration, instead of being truncated as the pattern loops around. This gives a more natural feel to looped melodies.

Thanks so much, I knew there was something! The dev thought of everything.

• Hi, excuse me for another noob question.

I was advised to get Atom2 for the purpose of triggering midi clips that I can play in from an external keyboard.

I'm using the iPad and need the midi clip recorder for the purpose of syncing to Digitakt. Digitakt is the master clock here.

I tried Helium but it didn't really work out for me as I need to be able to start and stop AUM from Digitakt to be able to play a sequence. I was wondering if I would run into the same issue on Atom2?

Basically my needs are to record a phrase and have it triggered by Digitakt or an external keyboard.

• @edk said:
    Hi, excuse me for another noob question.

I was advised to get Atom2 for the purpose of triggering midi clips that I can play in from an external keyboard.

I'm using the iPad and need the midi clip recorder for the purpose of syncing to Digitakt. Digitakt is the master clock here.

I tried Helium but it didn't really work out for me as I need to be able to start and stop AUM from Digitakt to be able to play a sequence. I was wondering if I would run into the same issue on Atom2?

Basically my needs are to record a phrase and have it triggered by Digitakt or an external keyboard.

Are you saying that you need your MIDI clip recorder to be able to record and play back if AUM's timeline is not running?

Atom 2 uses the host's clock. So, it can't record/playback if the host's timeline isn't running.

LK can record/playback without the host timeline running, but I am not sure if syncing works if the host timeline isn't running when it is running as an AU. It can run standalone, too.

• @edk said:
    Hi, excuse me for another noob question.

AUM doesn’t slave to midi clock, so that’s the problem you need to solve for both Helium and Atom2. Audiobus to the rescue. Audiobus can slave to midi clock and be the bridge to Ableton Link to control AUM. AUM doesn’t have to be hosted in Audiobus, but it’s handy to do so.

You can also host Helium or Atom 2 directly in Audiobus, without AUM unless you need AUM for other reasons.

If you don’t have Audiobus, MidiLinkSync will do the job, but I highly recommend Audiobus. It has the best MIDI clock implementation on iOS, IMO.

• edited November 2021

Where are Victor Porof???

• Anyone out there using Atom 2 with a LaunchPro MK3 able to use the Launchpads inbuilt sequencer at the same time as Atom (a long side it), without triggering notes in Atom clips?

Eg
    Atom clip played by the note of chords pages of the LPP triggering synth one in AUM.
    Sequencer page on LPP sending notes directly to synth two in AUM directly without atom.

If I have. Ores in the LPL sequencer, as soon as I have an Atom window open the LPP sequencer triggers notes through Atom as well, even when I change pages on the LPP (to a custom page)

Right now it seems that I can’t really use the LPP at the same time as Atom to “live jam” as the sequencer notes are always triggering Atom.

• @no1normal said:
    Anyone out there using Atom 2 with a LaunchPro MK3 able to use the Launchpads inbuilt sequencer at the same time as Atom (a long side it), without triggering notes in Atom clips?

Eg
    Atom clip played by the note of chords pages of the LPP triggering synth one in AUM.
    Sequencer page on LPP sending notes directly to synth two in AUM directly without atom.

If I have. Ores in the LPL sequencer, as soon as I have an Atom window open the LPP sequencer triggers notes through Atom as well, even when I change pages on the LPP (to a custom page)

Right now it seems that I can’t really use the LPP at the same time as Atom to “live jam” as the sequencer notes are always triggering Atom.

Yeh, I think that's unavoidable since Atom2 communicates directly with the LP when in focus.

But, you should be able to turn off "Thru all input" under the track settings at the top-left. This setting is also available as an AUv3 parameter.

• edited November 2021

Has anyone heard anything from Victor recently? Even if there isn't any sort of timeline to announce, it would be nice to know if he is still on hiatus from working on it or not.

• @wim
    Cheers for the response. Tried the Thru all input setting but stays locked in. Will have to use the sequencer separately for now, or record clips in one by one and then stop using the sequencer and only launch Atom clips.

• @espiegel123 @ErrkaPetti he probably burnt out from developing atom2. It was the same with atom1 - at first developer was very active, down the road - sank without trace.

• @zah7 said:
    @espiegel123 @ErrkaPetti he probably burnt out from developing atom2. It was the same with atom1 - at first developer was very active, down the road - sank without trace.

Yeah, it seems to be that way… Very sad 😭😭😭😭😥😥😥

Victor hasn’t made any Instagram since july eighter…

• Imo direct consequence of what went down here… though he enabled it, the users only did what they usually do, taking advantage / being selfish

• edited November 2021

@no1normal said:
    Anyone out there using Atom 2 with a LaunchPro MK3 able to use the Launchpads inbuilt sequencer at the same time as Atom (a long side it), without triggering notes in Atom clips?

Eg

Try using a different midi channel on the sequencer than what’s routed to Atom?
    Im about to start working on a little project for the LPP and atom because lets face it, 64 instances in AUM is just a wee bit unruly on the screen.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Imo direct consequence of what went down here… though he enabled it, the users only did what they usually do, taking advantage / being selfish

?

• “what went down” - pressure from us to release

“he enabled it” - non of my business, maybe only due to pressure, maybe other financial factors, but he offered us a choice and we chose what was convenient for us “give me, give me, now”.
    These apps generate significant income mostly around release date, if you drop an unfinished product, hype that could generate further sales, quickly turns into confusion or even disappointment. I’m talking out of my ... here, but if it would have been a success (financially), we would surely see frequent updates / communication. Lack of these points to failure... but this is only an opinion.

“what went down” - pressure from us to release

“he enabled it” - non of my business, maybe only due to pressure, maybe other financial factors, but he offered us a choice and we chose what was convenient for us “give me, give me, now”.
    These apps generate significant income mostly around release date, if you drop an unfinished product, hype that could generate further sales, quickly turns into confusion or even disappointment. I’m talking out of my ... here, but if it would have been a success (financially), we would surely see frequent updates / communication. Lack of these points to failure... but this is only an opinion.

That's why I always wanted Victor to add a 'Tip/donate' button (like in Piano Motifs and a few others) to Atom :)
    Maybe he's still quietly working on that Automation Update and will release it 'when it's done' - like for Christmas? . Or maybe in a year or so we'll have some Atom 3 development thread here (please no polls this time around... haha )

...or maybe he's working on that Drambo pianoroll!

“what went down” - pressure from us to release

I'm not certain that Viktor's lack of visibility has anything to do with financial success or otherwise. It could just as easily be the case that the challenge of creating an optimal UI/UX for editable automation is proving to be a bigger challenge than he originally thought.

I obviously don't know the real reason for his lack of social channel interactions any more than the next man. But I don't think it's necessarily anything negative. The combination of 'needed a break', and 'complexity of the task at hand', just feels a little more likely.

• Obviously... it’s just my opinion. It could be anything. But I would imagine to see movement, just like we’re chattier when there are good news. to share. I’m sure it’s not gonna be just left as is... way too much work went in.

• edited November 2021

I can’t speak on behalf on Victor - of course - but will say that I had a video chat with him a few months back and know that some changes in his personal life and day job commitments are currently limiting his ability to work on app development.

I do know that he isn’t done with the world of iOS music, and sure that we’ll hear from him again soon.

In the meantime - I hope you are enjoying all the cool features we already have in Atom2! :)

Finally - a more general point (and also reminder to myself)... we must never take for granted all the talented solo developers we have in our niche ios music ecosystem. I doubt a single one of them does this side-hustle for any reason other than love. Nobody out there is paying their bills from auv3 app sales, i can assure you.

• Hello everyone.

I use Atom Piano Roll 2 with Cubasis 3. When I use layer function, I cannot see squares on the piano roll. I cannot add any other notes, all other notes created before disappear. I also cannot open Atom Piano Roll 2 after that happens.

Has anyone experienced that kind of problem before?

• edited November 2021

@RainyDayOnMars said:
    Hello everyone.

I use Atom Piano Roll 2 with Cubasis 3. When I use layer function, I cannot see squares on the piano roll. I cannot add any other notes, all other notes created before disappear. I also cannot open Atom Piano Roll 2 after that happens.

Has anyone experienced that kind of problem before?

The “Layers” feature only allows you to see a “view” of where the notes are in all of your other instances of Atom 2. You should be able to add/remove notes to the currently selected layer. Are you sure there’s no notes there (where your question mark is) by using a two finger pan/scroll down to the C1 range?

• hi folks. just bought Atom 2 for the "stretch" feature i read about, but apparently that is only in the original Atom. am i missing anything? my mistake, but this is a bummer.

• To be fair to Viktor, I'm not sure any human could create a UI that could be used to fix my MPE CC mistakes. Or "trail of horrors" as I call it.

There's a sizeable gap between what I can think up and what I can actually play today, and I don't think "CC editing tool" is the one missing piece of the puzzle in my case.

• Has anyone had trouble with the export midi button? It’s not exporting the notes as they are on the piano roll.

Sub question: is there a quick way to get midi from atom2 to LK?