Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apogee Duet 3

edited June 2021 in Other

https://apogeedigital.com/blog/introducing-apogee-duet-3
no iOS support ?

Duet 3 Highlights
Best-in-class Apogee AD/DA conversion
2 world-class preamps
2×4 USB Type C audio interface
Low profile design with aluminum body
Scratch resistant top
Precision balanced backlit knob
Input and output connections via breakout cable:
2x ¼” Instrument inputs
2x Mic/line inputs
2x ¼” Balanced outputs
⅛” Stereo headphone output
On-board hardware DSP powers Symphony ECS Channel Strip* FX for low-latency recording with FX
2 USB Type C ports for connection and external power as needed
Bus powered
macOS and Windows 10 compatible
Optimized for Apple Logic Pro X and compatible with all popular audio software
Add the Duet Dock* accessory for the ultimate desktop studio experience
Stylish, padded travel case included
*Symphony ECS Channel Strip plugin and Duet Dock sold separately

Available: July 2021

Duet 3 Price: $599

Symphony ECS Channel Strip Plugin Price: $49.50 (50% off $99 at point of purchase)

Duet Dock Price: $149

Comments

• Not sure I can resist.

• edited June 2021

This is absolutely beautiful but I agree it’s unfortunate about iOS support. According to one of their knowledge base pages, they can’t support USB-C on iPad because Apple hasn’t updated the MFi certification program yet — the current Duets/Quartets/ONEs work as Core Audio devices but can’t talk to the control software. I imagine that, as soon as Apogee can get Maestro working with USB-C, this should run no problem on an iPad Pro.

But basically, I can’t upgrade my iPad because I don’t want to upgrade my interface and now I can’t upgrade my interface because I want to maintain an iPad-centric workflow.

Also a LITTLE irked to see them keep the breakout cable; I can accept that it helps with portability but makes it way harder to keep your desk tidy.

Now excuse me while I imagine how sweet this would look next to my Digitakt.

Edit: the Desktop Dock is a little ugly from some angles but it DOES look like a nice (if expensive) replacement for the breakout cable.

• Some cool ideas, but when they lost a major selling point as having onboard DSP but no plugins included that utilize it, that seems a little nickel and dimey to me.

The desktop dock is a good idea though- not only do you not have the breakout cable at the desk, but it means you could leave everything connected and off you need to go mobile you just undock and use the breakout cable. I help someone who has the duet 2 and those breakout cables on his desktop are very awkward.

• @jrjulius said:
    This is absolutely beautiful but I agree it’s unfortunate about iOS support. According to one of their knowledge base pages, they can’t support USB-C on iPad because Apple hasn’t updated the MFi certification program yet — the current Duets/Quartets/ONEs work as Core Audio devices but can’t talk to the control software. I imagine that, as soon as Apogee can get Maestro working with USB-C, this should run no problem on an iPad Pro.

But basically, I can’t upgrade my iPad because I don’t want to upgrade my interface and now I can’t upgrade my interface because I want to maintain an iPad-centric workflow.

Also a LITTLE irked to see them keep the breakout cable; I can accept that it helps with portability but makes it way harder to keep your desk tidy.

Now excuse me while I imagine how sweet this would look next to my Digitakt.

Edit: the Desktop Dock is a little ugly from some angles but it DOES look like a nice (if expensive) replacement for the breakout cable.

I’m guessing if it’s usb c then it will support IPad Pros with usb c, the last Duet ( for IPad / Mac ) doesn’t, though. I bought a 2020 IPad Pro only to find out my Duet doesn’t work with it, or rather the Maestro app for IPad doesn’t recognize my Duet. I can use it with my 2020 IPad Pro but if I want to change the input from mic to instrument I have to use the Maestro app on my Mac or old IPad to change it.

If I were updating my IPad to an M1 I wouldn’t upgrade my Duet to the 3 because apparently there’s an update coming to Maestro to make it compatible or maybe an entirely new app?

• edited June 2021

@Schmotown said:
    Not sure I can resist.

Me either.

Check out that dock! 🤤

Turns it into a ‘traditional’ audio interface!

• @mrufino1 said:
    Some cool ideas, but when they lost a major selling point as having onboard DSP but no plugins included that utilize it, that seems a little nickel and dimey to me.

The desktop dock is a good idea though- not only do you not have the breakout cable at the desk, but it means you could leave everything connected and off you need to go mobile you just undock and use the breakout cable. I help someone who has the duet 2 and those breakout cables on his desktop are very awkward.

Lol, the breakout cable is the one thing I hate about my Duet 😂😂😂

• @Strizbiz Do they mention the M1 iPad on their site at all? I have a feeling theres a possibility that they might only be referring to M1 Mac and the iOS devices will stay the same

• edited June 2021

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Strizbiz Do they mention the M1 iPad on their site at all? I have a feeling theres a possibility that they might only be referring to M1 Mac and the iOS devices will stay the same

Hhhhmmmm, good question, I just checked after reading your comment and found this on their site but yeah, I kinda agree with you, seems like it’s for the Macs at this point.

“NOTE 4/20/21: Regarding Apple’s announcement of the new M1 iMac and M1 iPad Pro – We will evaluate Apogee compatibility timing with these new Apple products when they become available to our testing team.”

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@Schmotown said:
    Not sure I can resist.

Me either.

Check out that dock! 🤤

Turns it into a ‘tradition’ audio interface!

Normally I probably would definitely plan on getting one, but here’s the thing, the Duet 3 is $599 ( and doesn’t come with any plugins ) the dock is $149, which isn’t bad, but if you’re looking at buying plugins to take advantage of the dsp, the complete fx bundle would be the way to go, which is $499, which puts you at almost $1250, more than that after taxes. For another $250 you could get the Symphony Desktop, which comes with the complete fx bundle for free. Not to mention flagship sound quality.
    But I do have to admit, the Duet 3 does look sexy though lol. I have the Symphony Desktop and I still kinda want one 😂😂😂

• @Strizbiz said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Schmotown said:
    Not sure I can resist.

Me either.

Check out that dock! 🤤

Normally I probably would definitely plan on getting one, but here’s the thing, the Duet 3 is $599 ( and doesn’t come with any plugins ) the dock is $149, which isn’t bad, but if you’re looking at buying plugins to take advantage of the dsp, the complete fx bundle would be the way to go, which is $499, which puts you at almost $1250, more than that after taxes. For another $250 you could get the Symphony Desktop, which comes with the complete fx bundle for free. Not to mention flagship sound quality.
    But I do have to admit, the Duet 3 does look sexy though lol. I have the Symphony Desktop and I still kinda want one 😂😂😂

I didn’t realize the pricing (I’m not actually in the market for one of these) but that’s a good point. I feel like this may not be proved right.

I just did 2 days of vocal sessions with an apogee mini me that I just bought using logic at a 32 sample buffer on my 2012 mbp and latency was not an issue at all. Usually I use an Apollo x8 with an apogee ensemble FireWire running as a standalone adat converter and that has DSP input fx and almost no latency monitoring. My point? I think the price point on the duet is pretty high for what you get. And unless they specifically make an iOS app, I wouldn’t count on iOS compatibility.

And yeah, the breakout cable is terrible for desktop, but in portable use it can be ok. Still, there can be better solutions. I’ve seen that people had breakout boxes on some of the older duets.

I had the apogee one that I won in the auria contest a few years ago, and that was cool with iOS and sounded good. Ultimately i wound up selling it to fund some other music equipment that was needed at the time.

• @Strizbiz said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Schmotown said:
    Not sure I can resist.

Me either.

Check out that dock! 🤤

Agree totally! Besides grabbing the dock as an extra and maybe that one channel strip plugin on offer for $50 bringing the total to $800 I would do a hard stop on the Duet & extras and instead jump to a symphony desktop. The one exception I can think of is those who need to use usb bus power instead of dedicated power supply. But I’m sure the lack of a dedicated power supply is going to affect audio quality or something somewhere in this device, especially when compared to the symphony.

And I got a feeling Apogee is going to dangle these plugins during Black Friday etc as free extras in those situations. Still no action or purpose for an iOS user unfortunately.

@CapnWillie said:
    This is definitely one of the few items I wont mind being an early adopter for. Tell me when and where and it’s bought.

This is the kinda attitude we’re looking for! Lol 😂 Happy Birthday btw hope all went/goes your way 💪

• No IOS
    Breakout cable
    History of abandoning customers. They blame Apple, but I’m not convinced.

No Thanks…

I know this is harsh, but I really felt abandoned and someday I’ll get over it…not just yet though

• @Strizbiz said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Schmotown said:
    Not sure I can resist.

Me either.

Check out that dock! 🤤

Even the Antelope Zen Synergy line of interfaces look like a better deal than this although they don’t look as sleek. The Zen Go actually works on iPads/iPhones as well and cost $499.

• edited June 2021

Looks nice, but I’ve gone the Apogee route before and the “world-class quality” is not something I can vouch for. I’ve had Presonus and Focusrite interfaces that sound just fine and quite comparable. Maybe I’m a dink….or maybe, the increase in quality is not equal to the massive increase in price.

Oh, and glad others find the breakout cable hilarious…good christ, the clutter

• looks great, but how in the hell did they not have this iOS compatible?????????? i mean ??????
    i wanna know how the audio conversion sounds compared to the Element 24....

• edited June 2021

Look, as a user of a Duet 2, I’m not seeing a compelling case to do anything different. That device works with what I use and has become a fixture at this point, 4 years on. It’s plugged into an iPad, LPX, AC adaptor, has 2 in 2 + trs out, charges the IPad, the LCD displays I/O meters, and has 2 assignable “buttons” for mute or whatever. The Duet 3 is looking like a downgrade unless you have a usb-c device that’s not working with with the Duet 2.
    Some of the info on the dock is unclear, does it have a power input making it a usb hub, will it act a usb host? Is there MIDI i/o? There isn’t much info about it to make me feel like adding $150 to the interface is a good deal.

*edit- On the up side that breakout cable is like 2 mic cables and and 2 inputs ready to get to work! (B+, right?)

• @CapnWillie said:
    My “One” is still cooking with gas on my iPad 2017 and definitely makes a huge difference in vocal and field recording. Everything i run through it sounds better and everything i hear coming out sounds much better. Better than other budget priced interfaces or the Native Instruments soundcard in my Mk3. I paid $85 for a used One 6 years ago and you’ll have to pry it from my dead fingers for me to get rid of it.lol

Got mine at a similar price. What a steal! I love the One. And the Built in mic for emergencies is clutch. I only wish it had dedicated Stereo speaker outs, but can’t have everything. It’s one of the few interfaces where break out cables make sense to me.

The iOS omission for D3 is absurd. If it is permanent, almost definitely a pass but I do see the value in the fact that it is bus powered. No portability or on location usage for Symphony.

I talked to them. No one has answers. It’s amazing how uniformed such a small company can be about such a small product line. You’d think duet 3 capabilities would be known backwards and forwards.

But I was told they’ll know when they get it in their hands. Lol, me too, go figure.

• edited June 2021

@CapnWillie said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@CapnWillie said:
    My “One” is still cooking with gas on my iPad 2017 and definitely makes a huge difference in vocal and field recording. Everything i run through it sounds better and everything i hear coming out sounds much better. Better than other budget priced interfaces or the Native Instruments soundcard in my Mk3. I paid $85 for a used One 6 years ago and you’ll have to pry it from my dead fingers for me to get rid of it.lol

Got mine at a similar price. What a steal! I love the One. And the Built in mic for emergencies is clutch. I only wish it had dedicated Stereo speaker outs, but can’t have everything. It’s one of the few interfaces where break out cables make sense to me.

The iOS omission for D3 is absurd. If it is permanent, almost definitely a pass but I do see the value in the fact that it is bus powered. No portability or on location usage for Symphony.

I talked to them. No one has answers. It’s amazing how uniformed such a small company can be about such a small product line. You’d think duet 3 capabilities would be known backwards and forwards.

But I was told they’ll know when they get it in their hands. Lol, me too, go figure.

Haha. I just think apple going thru so many changes throws these interface makers for loops. They switch between OSes, chips and connections, lightening to USB C with ninja like secrecy varying standards and throttle the connections based on who knows what. I don’t envy Devs or manufacturers dealing with them.

Agreed, there must be something about the MFi protocol that makes it either or. For instance Shure MV7 works with desktop and iOS lightning devices, but when using a usb-c i-device you loose a lot of the features.

It’s too bad Apple has provided no harmonious solution for these devs to make things work for both mfi and that class compliant.

But Apogee knows how much the loss of duet 2 for iPad Pro users infuriated its user base, and they made it a point to market the symphony desktop months before its release to iOS users. I wonder, why the lack of clarity with this device?

• @CapnWillie said:
    Good question @ipadbeatmaking

I’ll wait until you take the leap to find out?lol

I’ll be sitting this one out. I’ve got my eye on something else, that should sound much better than symphony desktop, and is much more portable 🤫

I bet it’s something like a new proprietary usb C cable (iOS kit) you’ll have to purchase seperate lmao. You remember the “special” $50 lightening cable One needed to have direct connection to iOS?😂

Yes the coveted, proprietary, ultra thick, flat, usb mini to lighting cord with the glossy connectors! If the solution is that simple, then no harm done 😂

• @CapnWillie said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@CapnWillie said:
    Good question @ipadbeatmaking

I’ll wait until you take the leap to find out?lol

I’ll be sitting this one out. I’ve got my eye on something else, that should sound much better than symphony desktop, and is much more portable 🤫

Ah hell naw! New soon come gear secrecy?!! Holding out on your ABf boys say it ain’t so!😠.

Lol not at all, but it’s expensive (in symphony territory) and until I get my hands on it I definitely don’t wanna spread misinformation about it. But for the high end audio iOS user who needs ultra portability, ultra high end a/d-d/a, and doesn’t mind spending for it, oh man this sounds promising indeed. Literally game changing 🤯

I never thought I’d say this, but If this works as expected, there’s life after Apogee lol 😂

But the duet looks ultra sleek. I personally feel they need to back off the $599 price point and be at $399, especially with the add ons etc it will get u to around $599. $800 all in is just a bit to rich for what’s on offer in my opinion, UNLESS it’s symphony desktop grade, which I’ll assume it isn’t.

• @CapnWillie being content with the setup is a very beautiful thing! Motu M4 and friends is doing me good until I go to the moon 🚀🌙 Best value for an interface ever IMO

Here’s something else I’m not a fan of...

I don’t even want to think about the repair cost on that.

• @CapnWillie said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @CapnWillie being content with the setup is a very beautiful thing! Motu M4 and friends is doing me good until I go to the moon 🚀🌙 Best value for an interface ever IMO

Hard on the gear are ya?lol. Gotta get a good bag bro. Ever since I got this baby:

…everything stays pristine. Plenty of pockets and pouches for interfaces, cables, dongles, etc.

Best bag investment ever. Fits on plane as a free personal item. I pack a MBP, mic, interface, cans, launchpad, iPad Pro, 3 outfits, 1 pair of sneakers and a powerbank for quick cheap weekend trips to NyC or Atl from Miami.🔥

Mever mind the Duet, that bag is awesome! :D Link?

• @CapnWillie said:

@Anagram_R said:

@CapnWillie said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @CapnWillie being content with the setup is a very beautiful thing! Motu M4 and friends is doing me good until I go to the moon 🚀🌙 Best value for an interface ever IMO

Hard on the gear are ya?lol. Gotta get a good bag bro. Ever since I got this baby:

…everything stays pristine. Plenty of pockets and pouches for interfaces, cables, dongles, etc.

Best bag investment ever. Fits on plane as a free personal item. I pack a MBP, mic, interface, cans, launchpad, iPad Pro, 3 outfits, 1 pair of sneakers and a powerbank for quick cheap weekend trips to NyC or Atl from Miami.🔥

Mever mind the Duet, that bag is awesome! :D Link?

So far so good. Definitely gets compliments and 9 months later as good as new. Hurry, only one available!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Odyssey-BHS12BPBLK-Hard-Shell-DJ-Backpack-Black-/293658541917?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Thanks so much!
    I'm in the UK. Managed to get one for equivalent of $70 delivered! Definitely using it on my next gig.

• @CapnWillie iOS Perspective Review above ⬆️

Spoiler alert: it supports all iOS devices, after computer setup, until they release the dedicated app.

• @CapnWillie said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @CapnWillie iOS Perspective Review above ⬆️

Spoiler alert: it supports all iOS devices, after computer setup, until they release the dedicated app.

Great video 🔥. Thanks for taking the leap so I don’t have too. Doesn’t seem ready yet.

Thanks. Definitely needs more time in the oven, but listening to music through it is niiiiccceee. That Apogee color is something that the charts just don’t measure. Their stuff is so musical.

On another note, It’s incredible what we have access to under $400, the Motu M4 is still shockingly good in the $200’s. What interface are you currently using?

• edited September 2021

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@CapnWillie said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @CapnWillie iOS Perspective Review above ⬆️

Great video 🔥. Thanks for taking the leap so I don’t have too. Doesn’t seem ready yet.

Thanks. Definitely needs more time in the oven, but listening to music through it is niiiiccceee. That Apogee color is something that the charts just don’t measure. Their stuff is so musical.

On another note, It’s incredible what we have access to under $400, the Motu M4 is still shockingly good in the $200’s. What interface are you currently using?

Duet 3 has sample rate issues at 96k on iOS. On Mac it’s fine.

• It’s going back, unfortunately the sample rate issue still isn’t resolved. This is a bug that isn’t unique to one duet 3 so Apogee said it’s best to return until they get everything worked out.

• @CapnWillie said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    It’s going back, unfortunately the sample rate issue still isn’t resolved. This is a bug that isn’t unique to one duet 3 so Apogee said it’s best to return until they get everything worked out.

Do you still have the last Gen Duet or One? I’m hearing they are now compatible with new thunderbolt/usb C iPad Pro models. That would be great as I don’t feel like getting a new mobile interface and I’m probably grabbing a new 11” M1 now.

I have both…are you serious?!!! Links?