Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom | Piano Roll 2 is now available

Comments

• @rud said:
    Please excuse my ignorance but I need some forum help please. I’m trying to record chords into Atom2 using step recording by manually pressing the chord keys in Chordjam. The photos attached show the results. I have tried it with both Atom and Atom2 and I get different results.
    Atom records a C Major chord as I would hope, notes played simultaneously and at the start of bar one.
    Atom2 jumps forward to bar two and arpeggiates the notes.
    I know there will be a simple explanation for this but I am stuck and would appreciate any help.
    Cheers, Ian.

This bugs me as well. It's totally impossible to step record chords since Atom 2 advances the playhead after every note and not after all the notes have been released which is needed in order to to step-record chords.

Maybe @blueveek can shed some light on this issue?

Cheers!

• Thanks @Samu I am sorry you also have this problem but you’ve made me feel better knowing that it’s not just me. I have messaged the developer and will let you know if I hear anything 👍

• edited August 2021

@Helder said:
    Thank you for your reply...that is a shame...is it coming? I really got the impression it was part of an update..

It's actually rather frustrating. There have been a lot of updates which have added new features to Atom since it was released 5 months ago. Credit to the developer for continuing to update it but CC editing was meant to be a high priority and for some of us the app isn't really usuable for actually making tracks without this basic 'standard MIDI' functionality.

My concern is that, looking back over historical threads about Atom 1, this was discussed as something that would be added later but never was (other than the Velocity editing lane). I've moved on to Helium (which supported automation from day one) but hopefully it will make it into Atom 2 sooner rather than later🤞

• @rud, is it not a case of setting the TIME section in ChordJam so that all notes are of an equal duration? Screen shot below works for me in terms of notes starting and stopping at the same time…

• @GeoTony said:
    @rud, is it not a case of setting the TIME section in ChordJam so that all notes are of an equal duration? Screen shot below works for me in terms of notes starting and stopping at the same time…

Worth noting is that recording from other apps works, it's step recording that doesn't work properly.

• @GeoTony thanks for having a look. Like @Samu says, it’s ‘step recording’ that arpeggiates and seems to jump forward a bar before recording. I’m growing to like Chordjam but the sequencer is so small and fiddly that I thought I’d try Atom2 instead.

• @GeoTony said:
    @rud, is it not a case of setting the TIME section in ChordJam so that all notes are of an equal duration? Screen shot below works for me in terms of notes starting and stopping at the same time…

From your screen-shot, you're not using step recording. (Step In would be red if you were.)
    Step recording doesn't currently work for chords in Atom 2.

• Understood… my bad!

• @GeoTony thanks for trying. No bad.

• @GeoTony said:
    Understood… my bad!

Not bad, it's a nice gesture to help others and we all learn something in the process :sunglasses:

• wimwim
    edited August 2021

Yeh, it's always great when people step up with help. 👍🏼

• Does Atom 2 record all CC automation? I recorded some midi from my Digitone last night and Atom didn't pick up on the MIDI CC LFO changed coming from the DN. I couldn't find anything in the manual or app that implied I needed to do anything to arm CC capture.

• @slicetwo said:
    Does Atom 2 record all CC automation? I recorded some midi from my Digitone last night and Atom didn't pick up on the MIDI CC LFO changed coming from the DN. I couldn't find anything in the manual or app that implied I needed to do anything to arm CC capture.

As far as I know it records all CC but for no it's 'black box' (ie. no editing).
    Do you see any incoming CC in a midi monitor from the Digitone when you change the LFO?
    (Some devices transmit sysex and as far as I know that is currently not recorded).

• @Samu said:

@slicetwo said:
    Does Atom 2 record all CC automation? I recorded some midi from my Digitone last night and Atom didn't pick up on the MIDI CC LFO changed coming from the DN. I couldn't find anything in the manual or app that implied I needed to do anything to arm CC capture.

As far as I know it records all CC but for no it's 'black box' (ie. no editing).
    Do you see any incoming CC in a midi monitor from the Digitone when you change the LFO?
    (Some devices transmit sysex and as far as I know that is currently not recorded).

I'll check. Xequence recorded the CC movements fine, but that could be sysex. I'll check when I get home.

• @Samu said:

@slicetwo said:

So according to mfxMonitor, it is sending CC messages.

• Yes it does record it but as Samu says you can't edit it. CC editing is supposed to be coming at some point but so is the end of the pandemic. Neither appear to be imminent at the moment😏

• @charalew said:
    Yes it does record it but as Samu says you can't edit it. CC editing is supposed to be coming at some point but so is the end of the pandemic. Neither appear to be imminent at the moment😏

I'm never said I was trying to edit it. I am aware that editing is not yet possible. I'm saying it's not even RECORDING the CC. I just need it to record the actual CC movement so I can play it back without the hardware while I'm tweaking sounds on the go.

• This should work. I tested recording external LFO's into Atom 2, then playing it back. Works fine.

Are you sure the clip is "Launched". I can't count the number of times I've assumed something was wrong with Atom 2 only to finally notice that the clip wasn't launched.

• @slicetwo said:

@charalew said:
    Yes it does record it but as Samu says you can't edit it. CC editing is supposed to be coming at some point but so is the end of the pandemic. Neither appear to be imminent at the moment😏

I'm never said I was trying to edit it. I am aware that editing is not yet possible. I'm saying it's not even RECORDING the CC. I just need it to record the actual CC movement so I can play it back without the hardware while I'm tweaking sounds on the go.

You may need to do a little research because Atom has seemed pretty reliable for me with CC recording.

You may want to check that Atom is in MPE or filter mode (with all channels enabled) to make sure that your cc’s aren’t being re-channelized.

Load a MIDI Monitor AU to receive the same MIDI that Atom is to confirm that the CCs are reaching Atom.

Then send Atom’s output to a midi monitor during playback to see what is coming out.

• @espiegel123 said:

@slicetwo said:

@charalew said:

You may need to do a little research because Atom has seemed pretty reliable for me with CC recording.

You may want to check that Atom is in MPE or filter mode (with all channels enabled) to make sure that your cc’s aren’t being re-channelized.

Load a MIDI Monitor AU to receive the same MIDI that Atom is to confirm that the CCs are reaching Atom.

Then send Atom’s output to a midi monitor during playback to see what is coming out.

It seems the mistake was that even though Atom was routed to the synth in AUM and playing notes, it wasn't ALSO routed as a MIDI source for CCs. I didn't realize that I would need to route it in 2 places as that's never seemed to happen before. Thanks!

• @slicetwo said:

@espiegel123 said:

@slicetwo said:

@charalew said:

It seems the mistake was that even though Atom was routed to the synth in AUM and playing notes, it wasn't ALSO routed as a MIDI source for CCs. I didn't realize that I would need to route it in 2 places as that's never seemed to happen before. Thanks!

Hmm! You shouldn't have to route it twice -- unless the synth requires that the notes and CC come from different places.

• @espiegel123 said:

@slicetwo said:

@espiegel123 said:

@slicetwo said:

@charalew said:

Hmm! You shouldn't have to route it twice -- unless the synth requires that the notes and CC come from different places.

It's AudioDamage's Continua. As much as I love their stuff, sometimes it seems like there are a lot of iOS bugs in it.

• Hi, I am trying to create an automatic arrangement type feature using iOS apps. I know there are apps like OMB etc where readymade arrangements/patterns can be triggered (I have gone through all previous threads regarding this).

But I am trying to create my own pattern using midi input (e.g. Velocity KB, Midi KB etc) and record it in the piano roll live.
    The problem I am facing - how can I transpose the pattern (based on whatever root note I will play) without touching the screen? Is there any feature in piano roll to transpose pattern using midi input (I am not trying to change the pattern but just transpose pattern up/down).

(StepPolyArp, Arpbud etc wont work because I can not create pattern without touching the screen there)..
    Any other thoughts are also welcome...

• @sujoybose77 said:
    The problem I am facing - how can I transpose the pattern (based on whatever root note I will play) without touching the screen? Is there any feature in piano roll to transpose pattern using midi input (I am not trying to change the pattern but just transpose pattern up/down).

There are the AU parameters, +/- Semitones and +/- Octaves. But the problem is you have to have notes selected in order to transpose them.

I think a better and more flexible solution is to transpose the output after it comes out of Atom2. Rozeta Scaler is probably perfect for this.

What host are you using, and how do you plan to distinguish between notes that you want to record into Atom2 and notes that you want to transpose the pattern? Can your controller send on different channels for the different purposes? Or do you want to use a particular range of notes, that will transpose and not record? Or?

• @wim said:

@sujoybose77 said:

There are the AU parameters, +/- Semitones and +/- Octaves. But the problem is you have to have notes selected in order to transpose them.

I think a better and more flexible solution is to transpose the output after it comes out of Atom2. Rozeta Scaler is probably perfect for this.

What host are you using, and how do you plan to distinguish between notes that you want to record into Atom2 and notes that you want to transpose the pattern? Can your controller send on different channels for the different purposes? Or do you want to use a particular range of notes, that will transpose and not record? Or?

I have not thought of automating AUM +/- semitone parameters based on note input. It may be possible using Mozaic script. But that would be my last option.
    I can use Rozeta Scaler after Atom2 but then how can I transpose Scaler based on note input (other than some Mozaic magic in between)?
    To answer your question - I am using AUM as host. I am thinking of recording my pattern in first Atom2 instance (coming from a particular note range of midi kb) and transposed pattern in another atom2 instance on the fly as I press various root notes (in other note range of midi kb). I can set different channel based on different note range coming from midi KB (I have already done that).

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@sujoybose77 said:

@wim said:

@sujoybose77 said:

I have not thought of automating AUM +/- semitone parameters based on note input. It may be possible using Mozaic script. But that would be my last option.
    I can use Rozeta Scaler after Atom2 but then how can I transpose Scaler based on note input (other than some Mozaic magic in between)?
    To answer your question - I am using AUM as host. I am thinking of recording my pattern in first Atom2 instance (coming from a particular note range of midi kb) and transposed pattern in another atom2 instance on the fly as I press various root notes (in other note range of midi kb). I can set different channel based on different note range coming from midi KB (I have already done that).

It seems the root of the problem (pun intended 😉) is your need to set the transposition based on a note being played rather than a CC. All of the scaler programs and scripts I can think of transpose based on an AU parameter driven by a MIDI CC.

So, something is needed to convert the Notes to CC's, or a custom script is needed that responds to notes to set the root. You don't seem to want to work with Mozaic, though, so I don't know of a solution.

Drambo could be used to do the conversion too, but I'm guessing that's not something you'd want to do either.

Rozeta Cells has the ability to transpose its sequence based on a midi note, but I don't find it a friendly way to record. Your source pattern would need to be in C to use that in such a way that the note you play would be the root that is played. Probably not a great option, but it could work.

MidiDreams could do this. You'd send notes 0 - 11 to the Root Key AU Parameter. Maybe not what you're looking for as far as something to capture the patterns though. [Edit ... oops, I'm not sure you can record into MidiDreams]

If you resort to using a script to convert notes to CC's then there are many possibilities.

• edited September 2021

@wim said:

@sujoybose77 said:

@wim said:

@sujoybose77 said:

It seems the root of the problem (pun intended 😉) is your need to set the transposition based on a note being played rather than a CC. All of the scaler programs and scripts I can think of transpose based on an AU parameter driven by a MIDI CC.

So, something is needed to convert the Notes to CC's, or a custom script is needed that responds to notes to set the root. You don't seem to want to work with Mozaic, though, so I don't know of a solution.

Drambo could be used to do the conversion too, but I'm guessing that's not something you'd want to do either.

Rozeta Cells has the ability to transpose its sequence based on a midi note, but I don't find it a friendly way to record. Your source pattern would need to be in C to use that in such a way that the note you play would be the root that is played. Probably not a great option, but it could work.

MidiDreams could do this. You'd send notes 0 - 11 to the Root Key AU Parameter. Maybe not what you're looking for as far as something to capture the patterns though. [Edit ... oops, I'm not sure you can record into MidiDreams]

If you resort to using a script to convert notes to CC's then there are many possibilities.

Yeh, I may need to come up with 12 note-to-cc mapping in Mozaic it seems.. 😃
    All these juggle not needed if Chordjam would had a piano roll type note editor for creating user defined arpeggios (I wont mind touching the screen once to input my own arpeggios).
    Let's see what new version of Chordjam offers..

• Has anyone heard from @blueveek recently? it seems like months since we've hear anything.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Has anyone heard from @blueveek recently? it seems like months since we've hear anything.

Perhaps Viktor has been away from keyboard after several month of 16/7 labourweeks?

Just like the Synthmaster guys - they must have some rest once in a while!

• @espiegel123 said:
    Has anyone heard from @blueveek recently? it seems like months since we've hear anything.

Victor Porof (Blueveek) is alive - he made an Twitter note today…

@victorporof on Twitter…