Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to record ipad as guitar fx unit?

Hi,

sorry if this is a dumb question - i've recently purchased a new ipad but unlike my old device, this doesn't have a headphone socket.

Previously i would plug my guitar into the ipad using an irig interface, go through some fx in AUM, and then route the output from the headphone socket into an audio in socket on my computer, using a cable. This way i could use the ipad as an fx unit and record the audio output into my computer DAW.

Now there's only one socket, so once i've connected my guitar to the usbc socket, there's no headphone socket for the output!! Aaaargh Apple!!

Would a simple dongle with a headphone socket option do the job, or would a more expensive audio interface be a more elegant solution?

Many thanks!!!

Comments

• PC or Mac Computer?

• A USB hub - iPad as master and some kind of interface between the guitar and the hub.

• Hi, thanks guys!

@wim said:
    PC or Mac Computer?

old mac laptop with audio in, need a new laptop but this works ok for now

@michael_m said:
    A USB hub - iPad as master and some kind of interface between the guitar and the hub.

I did try something similar to this, i have a usb hub. Plugged the ipad into the hub, irig interface into the hub too, and then connected the hub to the mac, but AUM on the ipad wasn't picking up the irig input via the hub.

• What type of port are you using on the MacBook?

• @oldsynthguy said:

@michael_m said:
    A USB hub - iPad as master and some kind of interface between the guitar and the hub.

I did try something similar to this, i have a usb hub. Plugged the ipad into the hub, irig interface into the hub too, and then connected the hub to the mac, but AUM on the ipad wasn't picking up the irig input via the hub.

This will not work. USB is a master-slave system; one master, many slaves. The hub is not like an old Ethernet hub, with all ports in parallel. The hub has a master cable that connects to the host, computer or iPad. It has many slave sockets that connect to the slaves. The iPad cannot connect as a slave.

Now, iOS can only support a single audio interface, so you need an interface with an input for the guitar, and an audio output to connect to the computer input. You might be able to use one of the iConnect interfaces that have two USB host ports and can route digital audio between devices, but that's a pretty big step up.

• I know this is the world we live in now, but it was a terrible decision by Apple to remove the critical 1/8” audio jack from a musician’s production tool like the iPad. Frankly, I’d now be willing to pay extra to get an M1 iPad Pro with the jack returned.

• edited September 2021

@oldsynthguy : Irig HD 2 has a headphone socket for zero latency monitoring and plugs directly into the iPad lightning port, or USBC, or your Mac, it comes with connections for all of them, letting you hear and record with ipad effects directly into AUM. Used it recently on one of my tracks. Guitar into Irig HD2, phones into HD2, HD2 into iPad, AUM picked it up as an input interface, then just record as usual with whatever effects you want, very easy.

From another users’ reply on the IK forum:

“ I just wanted to say for the record that the iRig HD 2 does work with an iPad Pro with the USB-C connector. You just need to use the USB cable and a USB-A to USB-C adapter. And since the iRig HD 2 has an analog headphone connector built in you have everything you need to record with it.”

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

@oldsynthguy said:
    Hi, thanks guys!

@wim said:
    PC or Mac Computer?

old mac laptop with audio in, need a new laptop but this works ok for now

To old for macOS 10.11 (El Capitan)? If not, you can use iDAM.
    Oh wait. Nvm. You couldn't use the interface on the iPad at the same time.
    iRig Hd2 or other interface with a headphone out is what you're going to need.

• @michael_m said:
    What type of port are you using on the MacBook?

just the normal audio in socket they used to have.

@uncledave said:

Now, iOS can only support a single audio interface, so you need an interface with an input for the guitar, and an audio output to connect to the computer input. You might be able to use one of the iConnect interfaces that have two USB host ports and can route digital audio between devices, but that's a pretty big step up.

ouch!!

@Svetlovska said:
    @oldsynthguy : Irig HD 2 has a headphone socket for zero latency monitoring and plugs directly into the iPad lightning port, or USBC, or your Mac, it comes with connections for all of them, letting you hear and record with ipad effects directly into AUM. Used it recently on one of my tracks. Guitar into Irig HD2, phones into HD2, HD2 into iPad, AUM picked it up as an input interface, then just record as usual with whatever effects you want, very easy.

@wim said:
    iRig Hd2 or other interface with a headphone out is what you're going to need.

ah ok thanks!

just wondering, the irig hd 2 is about £85 here, for a bit more i can get a zoom U24 or 3rd gen scarlett solo. Do you think its worth spending a bit more on those as a long term solution? as i've already got one redundant irig i'm keen to avoid another one going on the pile in a couple of years!! Would the audio output quality of the zooms or Scarletts be better than the irig?

Cheers, very helpful!!