Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good iOS Jaw Harp?

Or Jew’s harp, if you prefer (I do). I had the perfect use for one but had to settle for Thumbjam banjo. Not even close. Sounds like a job for Apesoft! But maybe you know of one?

Comments

• That's a good question actually. 🤔 I do know Freesound.org has plenty of jaw harp samples you can chop, pitch shift, stretch, etc. But I'm sure what you're looking for is something playable.

• SwarPlug has a Jew’s harp IAP called Morsing.

• I remembered a pack from Zvon for Caustic. A sample pack on his site: https://lesproductionszvon.com/Out_There.htm
    if that helps.

• Good call @Philandering_Bastard! What a strange place to find it.

Thanks @Sawiton. They’re good samples, all right.

• no idea, but heres a great mini documentary on the history of it. I had no idea how it was used in so many cultures. Very inspiring.

• DavDav
    edited August 2021

There are a bunch of mouth harp loops in the ‘Asia’ packet of BeatHawk that sound ok. They are under the mongol khomus folder.

Dav

• Pete Lockett had a Vietnamese Hmong in one of the IAP’s for Drum Jam. It’s not one that can be loaded as a playable instrument, rather it is one of the instruments that has 20 patterns available to choose from.

• edited August 2021

@LinearLineman said:
    Or Jew’s harp, if you prefer (I do). I had the perfect use for one but had to settle for Thumbjam banjo. Not even close. Sounds like a job for Apesoft! But maybe you know of one?

As I'm sure you know from my ongoing self promotion, our concert project 'UDAGAN' (and soon to be announced 'UDGN'!) is centred around the 'Khomus' (Sakha Jaw Harp -- the best Jaw Harp you can find on this earth!):

We've got a stem pack for the below track available:

It's uploaded for remixers and you'll find some Khomus stems in there as well as some ambient overtone vocals. Feel free to pull them out and just credit the source on anything you make with them please :)

The Khomus in this piece is tuned to an A note. Here's the link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qqtarzb3o5bwqr0/AADIZdUU__d4uSEQ1tmd42cBa?dl=0

• edited August 2021

For more tailored efforts, you can book Saydyy as a remote session musician! She's without doubt one of the foremost performers of the Sakha Khomus style of Jaw Harp players active today and has an incredible collection of instruments. Send me a message here or get in touch directly at info ( at ) UDAGANuniverse.com (or use the contact form here: https://UDAGANuniverse.com/contact/)

• @OscarSouth ... Wow... just wow! (Great video, too!)

• SoundFonts maybe, I think I have one.

• I got the SwarPlug jaw harp... disappointing. Sounded great on the sample audio, tho.

• I don’t think the real thing is very expensive, and I’d imagine it’s a lot more expressive than a software emulation.

• @michael_m, I imagine I”d cut my lip in two minutes🤐

• @LinearLineman said:
    I got the SwarPlug jaw harp... disappointing. Sounded great on the sample audio, tho.

The Jaw Harp is as expressive as the human voice (using the same vocal apparatus to produce sound) and although not everyone has had the exposure to it to know how to listen to all that depth, any musician with decent ears will recognise when that depth is lacking. The instrument's real beauty is no more practical to sample and reproduce than the human voice itself.

Don't be fooled by the beardy guy in the folk club who plays a rusty cheap harp once per session for the attention he gets! He's got every right to do that, but the instrument has more true depth than he could imagine.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @michael_m, I imagine I”d cut my lip in two minutes🤐

Try a Vietnamese 'Dan Moi' instrument -- You hold it on your lips instead of your teeth and it's a bit more 'delicate' to play as well as being a pretty cheap option. Here's a video of Saydyy playing a Sakha melody on one:

We can also import Khomuses directly from the Blacksmiths in Sakha. Costs ~£100 these days for a good quality one (the best you can find in this world!) although takes a bit of time to receive it due to the extreme geography involved.

• @LinearLineman Oh yeah, I agree with Oscar that khomus sound is very depending on oral articulation, the location of the tongue in the mouth and also with the various breathing techniques along with throat work it can produce very various sound ornamentations: non-rhythmic (atmospheric), rhythmic with a set tempo, and on top of it all can be added throat vocal techniques that are inherent only to particular ethnic motives, which are holding specific meaning and descriptive content.

As Oscar already mentioned, I do work remote sessions for vocal throat techniques and khomus sounds using various khomuses with various tonalities. Here is the contact link: https://UDAGANuniverse.com/contact/

If you are interested in just listening or resampling from a track, then you can have the stem pack from above https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qqtarzb3o5bwqr0/AADIZdUU__d4uSEQ1tmd42cBa?dl=0

Thank you for your interest. If anyone has questions about khomus in general, feel free to drop here.

• @LinearLineman said:

I bought the snoopy one the last time I went to NY. I barely touch it because I fear all my teeth will shatter into pieces :lol: :tongue:

@OscarSouth said:
    Try a Vietnamese 'Dan Moi' instrument -- You hold it on your lips instead of your teeth and it's a bit more 'delicate' to play as well as being a pretty cheap option. Here's a video of Saydyy playing a Sakha melody on one:

Thanks for the tip, mate. Not sure where, but will try to find one :wink:

• @senhorlampada said:

@LinearLineman said:

I bought the snoopy one the last time I went to NY. I barely touch it because I fear all my teeth will shatter into pieces :lol: :tongue:

@OscarSouth said:

Thanks for the tip, mate. Not sure where, but will try to find one :wink:

There’s always quite a lot on eBay and they’re all ‘ok’ in quality.

• Similar instruments that use the vocal apparatus to shape harmonics include the Vietnamese k’ni, the Pygmy mouth bow, and my favorite: the cosmic bow. I intend to order one of these someday when I get around to it:

• Already mentioned above: http://www.freesoundvault.com/sounds/ethnic/
    Scroll to bottom of the page and load into SoundFonts app. Not bad at all!

• Thanks @TimRussell. My fascination for the Jaw Harp seems to have moved on, just like the posts on a forum page. Strangely, I actually found a patch in DRC that sounded like a jaw harp. But I can”t remember what it was. 🤪