Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Standalone dawless workstations?

Comments

• @Weareroses said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    Octatrack has no polysynth plugin like MPC's Hype synth.

Pattern entry and editing is very different from what I've seen of MPC

Octatrack MIDI tracks have 4-note polyphony limit

No velocity or pressure sensitive pads for banging in beats like MPC or Maschine

Just some things to consider when comparing Octatrack to MPC and MC-101/707

I’m ordering on the first… I’ll decide between the live two and mc 707 by then, I hope.

I have the MPC One and MC707, if it came to a choice it would be the MPC, because it the heart of my setup, but the MC707 has great features I would really miss.

• @Weareroses said:

@ocelot said:
    You don't need a computer to update the firmware. You can use your iPhone or iPad and download the USB image file update (*.img file), rather than the PC or MAC update files. Plus the new synth plugins are in a zip file. All of which can be managed by the Files App on your iPhone or iPad and a connected USB drive formatted in exFAT or FAT32.

If you need help, just ask. I've owned almost all grooveboxes, including the Quasimidi 309, Spectralis, EMU Command Stations, MPC, ASR-X, MV8000, RS7000, Electribes, Elektrons, SPs, MCs even the MC-09 :smiley:

Hmm. So I can update to 2.10 without a computer and use my iPad? Ok dope! I’m real close to pulling the trigger on the live 2.
    I’m down to two options, mc 707 and live two, I’m not adding anymore to the list lol I need to break it down for myself now lol Thanks for your help

One thing to check: I couldn’t update the OP-Z firmware from the iPad, because the iPad has no way to eject a connected volume. The OP-Z firmware update is triggered by the disk ejecting. On the iPad you just have to yank the USB cable, which resulted in an unresponsive OP-Z.

Just check that people have successfully done an update with iPad before you buy.

• @echoopera said:
    Man. I just love the OctaTrack. Everyone should have one at least once in their lifetime. Such a magical instrument:

:heart:

• @mistercharlie said:

@Weareroses said:

@ocelot said:
    You don't need a computer to update the firmware. You can use your iPhone or iPad and download the USB image file update (*.img file), rather than the PC or MAC update files. Plus the new synth plugins are in a zip file. All of which can be managed by the Files App on your iPhone or iPad and a connected USB drive formatted in exFAT or FAT32.

If you need help, just ask. I've owned almost all grooveboxes, including the Quasimidi 309, Spectralis, EMU Command Stations, MPC, ASR-X, MV8000, RS7000, Electribes, Elektrons, SPs, MCs even the MC-09 :smiley:

Hmm. So I can update to 2.10 without a computer and use my iPad? Ok dope! I’m real close to pulling the trigger on the live 2.
    I’m down to two options, mc 707 and live two, I’m not adding anymore to the list lol I need to break it down for myself now lol Thanks for your help

One thing to check: I couldn’t update the OP-Z firmware from the iPad, because the iPad has no way to eject a connected volume. The OP-Z firmware update is triggered by the disk ejecting. On the iPad you just have to yank the USB cable, which resulted in an unresponsive OP-Z.

Just check that people have successfully done an update with iPad before you buy.

Sounds like TE made it too easy to brick. Did you get it working again?

And Elektron with their sysex updates. Who is 'brave' enough to attempt to update their Elektron with the Sysex Base app? I don't recommend you do this, but maybe I'll give it a go since my laptop is getting repaired. Maybe I'll get to send my Elektron in for repair too. Joy.

And the iPad isn't flashing the MPC. The MPC is flashing itself. It's an img file. The iPad is only used for copying that firmware img file to a USB thumbdrive or SD card.

It's nice that Akai gives owners multiple options to update their hardware.

• I am probably being far too simplistic here but If my music was sample based and I wanted to chop things up I’d choose the Akai. If my music was more programmed synths and XoX drum patterns, then I’d choose the Roland.

And I would personally still use a DAW to finish the song. Use the hardware to write the song, into the DAW for finishing and mixing.

• In the spirit of the google advert.

Don’t forget the wonders of the circle….

• Completely forgot about the ARQ. And the Tenori. DJX. Roland D2. And the undisputed king of grooveboxes, the Beat Kangz Beat Thang.

• @ocelot said:
    Completely forgot about the ARQ. And the Tenori. DJX. Roland D2. And the undisputed king of grooveboxes, the Beat Kangz Beat Thang.

The ARQ is a bargain for what it is, biggest oversight by Zoom was inability to input notes from an external keyboard.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    In the spirit of the google advert.

Don’t forget the wonders of the circle….

This is horribly wonderful!. It’s a rounded Deluge!

• @ocelot said:

@mistercharlie said:

I did. I think it needed a Factory reset, but I have blanked the trauma from my memory :wink: )

And the iPad isn't flashing the MPC. The MPC is flashing itself. It's an img file. The iPad is only used for copying that firmware img file to a USB thumbdrive or SD card.

That's the theory with the OP-Z too. The problem was, the update process is triggered by the eject action. I just use my Mac for this kind of thing now. I gave up trying to make the iPad work like a computer (although I still L-O-V-E my iPad).

And back on topic, I gave up with trying to use hardware instead of DAWs. I use the boxes to make all the music, but I arrange it in Ableton, because it's so much easier.

I don't need "limitations to boost my creativity" when all I want is to line up two tracks, or eq the solo differently than the verse etc.

Now, getting the music from the box into Ableton. That's the annoying part.

• @Weareroses said:

@GovernorSilver said:

No velocity or pressure sensitive pads for banging in beats like MPC or Maschine

I’m ordering on the first… I’ll decide between the live two and mc 707 by then, I hope.

Either of those, I'm guessing, would be a better starting workstation for you.

What echoopera said about his Octatrack, I also feel about mine, but I don't the intention was to push it as "superior" to the other two machines. Another way to look at it is, after buying his other machines, he still kept his Octatrack, and for good reason.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@Weareroses said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Either of those, I'm guessing, would be a better starting workstation for you.

What echoopera said about his Octatrack, I also feel about mine, but I don't the intention was to push it as "superior" to the other two machines. Another way to look at it is, after buying his other machines, he still kept his Octatrack, and for good reason.

OctaTrack is a Classic instrument which will never leave my hands :)

• @echoopera said:
    OctaTrack is a Classic instrument which will never leave my hands :)

Same for me with my Digitakt+Digitone duo .. even bought recently Model:Samples for moving drums from Digitakt into M:S to have more free tracks for arpeggios and melodies on Digitakt.

I believe it's same with all Elektron gear, once you fall in love with their way of thinking, you're lost :-)

• This thread sure brings back memories... I was asking the same question almost three years ago: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29037/hardware-groovebox/p1.

In the end I stuck with my decision and got the original Circuit. I had the chance to test both the Circuit and MPC Live and I found the lack of synthesis in the MPC (still missing at that time) to be a dealbreaker.
    The Circuit had an amazing sequencer, but I was running it purely in standalone mode and the restricted amount of synth and drum presets and the unlabelled knobs were severely limiting. I managed to create some nice patterns with it and it was especially fun for drum sequences, but recently I gave it away because I had completely stopped using it. It really requires using its companion PC/Mac app if you want to reach its true potential.

Funnily enough, shortly after getting the Circuit I ended up getting the MPC Live anyway once they added the three synths. I still have it and I'm pleasantly surprised by the updates coming from Akai.
    Then I got an OP-1 as my "pandemic buy" which I also still own and also got a Korg Monologue to combine it with the OP and the MPC.

I do like the MPC and based on what I've seen in reviews of newer devices this is still the most complete hardware DAW experience available. It's a bit too PC-like for my taste but very capable.
    I'm not getting along with the OP-1 so well. It has all sorts of limitations as a groovebox, but even when it comes to sound design I find it much easier to get a nice sound out of the Monologue for example than from the weird OP-1 synths. I haven't completely given up on it yet, but I am considering selling it and getting e.g. a Jupiter Xm instead.

Anyway, my point is that it almost doesn't matter what you buy because you will still crave other grooveboxes and regret your purchase 😈

• @mistercharlie said:

@ocelot said:

@mistercharlie said:

I did. I think it needed a Factory reset, but I have blanked the trauma from my memory :wink: )

Good to know that possibly a factory reset is all that's required. Bricking desktop GFX cards was far too easy just a few years ago, along with modded gaming laptop BIOSes. Recovering from those was tough, and sometimes the only option was to send it in for repair, and cross your fingers that they wouldn't see what you were attempting to do (overclock, etc) when you bricked it.

That's the theory with the OP-Z too. The problem was, the update process is triggered by the eject action. I just use my Mac for this kind of thing now. I gave up trying to make the iPad work like a computer (although I still L-O-V-E my iPad).

Took a look. OP-Z frmware is a .zfw file that's downloaded on the iPad and copied to the root of OP-Z's internal storage while it's in Update mode. Ejecting the disk triggers the update.

Hmmm, I tried iSH Shell and a-Shell on the iPad but haven't had any luck unmounting and ejecting an external disk.

Luckily with the MPC/Force firmware (img file only, not their WIN or MAC installers), ejecting the SD card, USB thumbdrive, or the HDD installed inside the MPC/Force doesn't auto-trigger the update. Plus with the SD card and USB thumbdrive, those can later be plugged into the MPC/Force when you're ready to update.

And back on topic, I gave up with trying to use hardware instead of DAWs. I use the boxes to make all the music, but I arrange it in Ableton, because it's so much easier.

I don't need "limitations to boost my creativity" when all I want is to line up two tracks, or eq the solo differently than the verse etc.

I agree, doing this in a DAW is lightning quick compared to the Force.

Now, getting the music from the box into Ableton. That's the annoying part.

Especially tough with the Octatrack.

• @knewspeak said:

@ocelot said:
    Completely forgot about the ARQ. And the Tenori. DJX. Roland D2. And the undisputed king of grooveboxes, the Beat Kangz Beat Thang.

The ARQ is a bargain for what it is, biggest oversight by Zoom was inability to input notes from an external keyboard.

Arghh, that's a huge oversight. Reminds me of the inability to input notes into the MPC/Force's step sequencer from an external keyboard, like we can with Elektron and Roland. Hopefully Akai will improve their step sequence at some point.

• 2.10 lifted standalone MPC a lot....Still slim on mod source/dest options but maybe Akai will expand that area later too 🤷‍♂️ Spam invasion alert 🚨 🦧

• edited August 2021

Deluge is definitely worth a shout if you're looking for 'DAW in a box' type functionality. It's way less complex and scary than most people assume.
    I think it's a great companion to an ipad too. It's battery powered and lightweight and is constantly getting better with firmware updates.
    After having got pretty overwhelmed with a mainly hardware based studio setup, I'm building a slimmed-down portable music creation station based around the Deluge and an ipad running AUM and a selection of AUV3s

• @Jimantronic said:
    Deluge is definitely worth a shout if you're looking for 'DAW in a box' type functionality. It's way less complex and scary than most people assume.
    I think it's a great companion to an ipad too. It's battery powered and lightweight and is constantly getting better with firmware updates.
    After having got pretty overwhelmed with a mainly hardware based studio setup, I'm building a slimmed-down portable music creation station based around the Deluge and an ipad running AUM and a selection of AUV3s

Agreed, AUM compliments the Deluge in a great way if you want to use the Deluge as a midi sequencer. You can dial your mix directly in AUM with all the AUs, resample back to Deluge. Still hoping for a proper EQ and compressor built into the box one day ;). The only thing stopping from getting the Deluge is Loopy Pro 😁

• @childofthecorndog said:
    2.10 lifted standalone MPC a lot....Still slim on mod source/dest options but maybe Akai will expand that area later too 🤷‍♂️ Spam invasion alert 🚨 🦧

Really great Expansion pack you have here! Enjoying the sounds and flavors you've provided us with this Pack. Nice Work!

• Ok y’all, imma order the mpc live two… what am I going to need? I want to use the iPad as a sound module, I know I need a midi cord of sorts and an audio in out… recommendations? Also will need a good Sd, or usb drive.
    Would love opinions cause everyone here is always real helpful and knows their stuff

• edited September 2021

Congrats:

I use this USB to Midi to get it to work with my iPad over the Apple Dongle:

Midi to USB To connect to iPad:
    https://www.amazon.com/iConnectivity-mio-1-out-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00CO5IRSG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2HO5SD1Q68TIN&dchild=1&keywords=mio+midi+to+usb&qid=1630455422&sprefix=mio+midi&sr=8-3

There are others. I have two of these and they have been solid for me.

• @echoopera said:
    Congrats:

https://www.amazon.com/iConnectivity-mio-1-out-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00CO5IRSG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2HO5SD1Q68TIN&dchild=1&keywords=mio+midi+to+usb&qid=1630455422&sprefix=mio+midi&sr=8-3

Heck yeah! Thank you bro. I’ll order this, as well as an aux to stereo out cord.

• @Weareroses said:

@echoopera said:
    Congrats:

Heck yeah! Thank you bro. I’ll order this, as well as an aux to stereo out cord.

Sure thing. Which iPad do you have?

• @echoopera said:

@Weareroses said:

@echoopera said:
    Congrats:

Sure thing. Which iPad do you have?

Air3 I plan on upgrading early next year.

• @echoopera said:

@childofthecorndog said:
    2.10 lifted standalone MPC a lot....Still slim on mod source/dest options but maybe Akai will expand that area later too 🤷‍♂️ Spam invasion alert 🚨 🦧

Really great Expansion pack you have here! Enjoying the sounds and flavors you've provided us with this Pack. Nice Work!

Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words & support 🙏 Learned a lot making this first COTCD expansion & been sampling bunch of vintage gear in studios lately = hyped for the next one 🏄‍♂️

• @knewspeak said:

@Weareroses said:

@GovernorSilver said:

I have the MPC One and MC707, if it came to a choice it would be the MPC, because it the heart of my setup, but the MC707 has great features I would really miss.

Which features u’d miss?

Maybe it would get on the wishlist for next update.

Someone suggested me to get a second mpc to mix between songs but I thought ide rather get another groove box like the MC707.

But I’m first trying to finish my template setup on MPC it’s for a continuous live performance on one project

• And 2nd mp is just overkill I would think. I’m and mpc1000 user and I can’t imagine needing a 2nd mpc just to mix tracks.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@knewspeak said:

@Weareroses said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Which features u’d miss?

Someone suggested me to get a second mpc to mix between songs but I thought ide rather get another groove box like the MC707.

But I’m first trying to finish my template setup on MPC it’s for a continuous live performance on one project

MC-707 has the classic Roland sound, each update it has received has improved it’s functionality, but it’s still got a way to go to feel ‘complete’ IMO, still it’s incredibly good for quickly creating rhythm’s and synth parts. Both the MPC and 707 are the backbone of my DAWless setup, they compliment each other nicely.

• edited November 2021

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@knewspeak said:

Which features u’d miss?

You guys might like this comparison video - MPC One and MC-707 are among the grooveboxes compared