Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Standalone dawless workstations?

Comments

• How about a Keystep pro and launch analog synths from it? You can use your ipad as the sample launcher if you need those, and send midi CC’s from Keystep to launch them. Koala should work to rip spoken word, off youtube, or generally for things not needing to be analog.
    I would also consider the latest beast from Jomox, Alpha Base. With that and a Keystep i bet you could sequence all your needs. Stay Away from TR8s, effects being hidden in its slow menus, it not being analog, and plasticy. Im just no, no. The MC one seems interesting.

• Okay… weeks later and still haven’t made a purchase… let’s start this convo again, now I’m at the point of debating between the mpc live two, Roland mc 707, opz, mv1 verse lab… opinions? Haha

• Personally I find the OP Z and the deluge the most appealing grooveboxes due to their sequencing capabilities and portability. The Deluge is the dream machine for me.

• @wawelt said:
    Personally I find the OP Z and the deluge the most appealing grooveboxes due to their sequencing capabilities and portability. The Deluge is the dream machine for me.

I like the look of the deluge, however seems pretty complicated to me, maybe I’m just intimidated

• @Weareroses said:
    Okay… weeks later and still haven’t made a purchase… let’s start this convo again, now I’m at the point of debating between the mpc live two, Roland mc 707, opz, mv1 verse lab… opinions? Haha

I’ve been through the same process over the last couple of years, buying and selling gear. Owned an op-z (briefly), an op-1, an akai force, an mpc live, a digitone keys, deluge, and maschine mk3. I kept the maschine and the digitone. I’m about to add the op-z again. The deluge is amazing, but everything it does can be done more easily in a daw, and I came to the conclusion that I wasn’t looking for a daw in a box, but an instrument. The digitone fits that. So does the OP-Z. Limited, inspiring instruments. And the OP-Z can fit in my pocket plus it works beautifully with my iPad.

• I have the original Circuit. I used to like to use it all the time, but haven’t lately. It’s fun and quick to use. It is very far from complete and very limited. You can’t even use sustain pedal with it. I’m not sure how much better the tracks version is. If they have “song” mode that might really help.

It looks like you have a drum machine as an option. I don’t think you want something that is just a drum machine, or you’ll just be making some beats.

I don’t know much about MPC one, but I’m sure it’s the most complete option.

• This is about the only new thing I've come across since the last time you (OP) checked in. It's interesting to watch Ricky Tinez build something from scratch, as well as get the modular involved.

Other than that I saw a comment elsewhere that it can only do an even number of steps.

• @dendy said:
    i picked Digitakt+Digitone and i'm super happy. Purchased them in autum 2020 - basically did not used my iPad for music since then :-) Starting to think about purchaše of another Digitakt to add more tracks :-)) I'm doomed, absolutely infected by Elektron way of thinking, i had lot of grooveboxes before but this hit me hard.

The iPad is a fantastic addition to the DN and DT. Get Drambo and build modules you can map to midi knobs on the digis!

• @GovernorSilver said:
    This is about the only new thing I've come across since the last time you (OP) checked in. It's interesting to watch Ricky Tinez build something from scratch, as well as get the modular involved.

Other than that I saw a comment elsewhere that it can only do an even number of steps.

Loved the video, really looks fantastic.
    Lately tho, something about the 707s workflow seems right up my alley. It gets tougher and tougher to decide the more videos I watch. Lol
    My cousin, said get both lmao

• Yeah, that's one thing that hasn't changed - the prediction that those of us who can afford it will end up buying more than one groovebox/workstation.

MPC Live 2 and MC-707 together would make up for each other's weaknesses.

• Pros
    1. MPC live/one is a great all rounder
    2. MC 707 has Rolands great sounds
    3. OP1 / OPZ portable portables almost pocketable
    4. Deluge most flexible
    5. digitakt/tone 1/3 groovebox 1/3 sequencer 1/3 sound design

Cons in same order
    1. Software convoluted
    2. Press what now to do what
    3. If it’s for you, its really for you
    4. Logical but tiny text and minimal screen feedback
    5. IMHOP best when paired with other gear

They are all going to take muscle memory if you are going to really use them

Disclosure - I have the Deluge

• If you really want a DAW that’s not a DAW…

You might consider a piece of gear to record and a separate piece of gear to sequence.
    For example: the Bluebox and Digitakt

To me The MPC is a DAW (and a looper and a sequencer) in a box and that isn’t inherently bad. If the GUI fiddling is what you’re trying to avoid it might not be for you. If your looking for a portable workstation then it fits the bill.

Do a pros and cons list like I did above. Don’t be precious about your decision - you can change your mind even after you get something. Just ask @echoopera ;)

• edited August 2021

Brand new MPC One from JRR Shop on Reverb for 15% off ($679.15).
    1 left.
    https://reverb.com/item/33222928-akai-mpc-one

Brand new Roland MC-707 was $769.82 at Perfect Circuit a few months after release, but I haven't seen the price drop more than $100 since then.

• @audiblevideo said:
    If you really want a DAW that’s not a DAW…

You might consider a piece of gear to record and a separate piece of gear to sequence.

To me The MPC is a DAW (and a looper and a sequencer) in a box and that isn’t inherently bad. If the GUI fiddling is what you’re trying to avoid it might not be for you. If your looking for a portable workstation then it fits the bill.

Do a pros and cons list like I did above. Don’t be precious about your decision - you can change your mind even after you get something. Just ask @echoopera ;)

Yup. I’ve been on a journey for sure.
    . Novation Circuit: started me on the whole GrooveBox journey but ended up not liking the sound of the synth. Great starter kit though. Sits somewhere on the shelf unplugged.

. Elektron Octatrack: instant classic. Complicated. Revelatory. Amazing. Frustrating. Love it. Perplexed by it. Love it. Never going to leave me. Always delivers something magical. Bless you Elektron for retiring my brain.

. Push2: perfection if you like Ableton like i do.

. MPC One: near perfection. Hated it at first. Set it aside for a few months. Just amazing when i picked it back up. Inspires me to play and create and get in flow.

. Maschine+: love the hardware. Love the pads. Still getting comfortable with workflow. Growing on me. A new workflow can be fun.

. PolyEnd Tracker: totally new workflow paradigm for me. Novel. Wonderful. Always fun to experiment and learn from. A different way of composing.

Now everything being said above i should note that i view each of these units as an instrument deserving time, patience and attention to their specific uniqueness.

I still own all of these. I will never sell them if i can help it. Each instrument gives me pleasure when i make music on them and for this i am eternally thankful.

• edited August 2021

@echoopera said:

@audiblevideo said:
    If you really want a DAW that’s not a DAW…

Yup. I’ve been on a journey for sure.
    . Novation Circuit: started me on the whole GrooveBox journey but ended up not liking the sound of the synth. Great starter kit though. Sits somewhere on the shelf unplugged.

. Elektron Octatrack: instant classic. Complicated. Revelatory. Amazing. Frustrating. Love it. Perplexed by it. Love it. Never going to leave me. Always delivers something magical. Bless you Elektron for retiring my brain.

. Push2: perfection if you like Ableton like i do.

. MPC One: near perfection. Hated it at first. Set it aside for a few months. Just amazing when i picked it back up. Inspires me to play and create and get in flow.

. Maschine+: love the hardware. Love the pads. Still getting comfortable with workflow. Growing on me. A new workflow can be fun.

. PolyEnd Tracker: totally new workflow paradigm for me. Novel. Wonderful. Always fun to experiment and learn from. A different way of composing.

Now everything being said above i should note that i view each of these units as an instrument deserving time, patience and attention to their specific uniqueness.

I still own all of these. I will never sell them if i can help it. Each instrument gives me pleasure when i make music on them and for this i am eternally thankful.

All great points, we have talked before about this lmao

I’m currently in the process of watching complete full tutorials of the mc 707 and mpc live two, the mc 707 videos from Roland are great… I actually really like the workflow and the fact I can update and manage file storage via usb on my iPad is a huge plus, being I don’t have a computer.

Mpc live two, I love the full tutorial so far, and I understand the workflow just fine and I could really benefit from the WiFi, and speakers. I’ll find myself taking whatever Groovebox I buy to the dining room table or couch a lot… so I’m really just tryna make my decision lol

• edited August 2021

Two ipads and two iphones.
    Four different audio interfaces.
    All synced up using either Ableton Link or midi.

Does crash on occasion.

It looks a little bit like this at the moment.

The owner is clearly bonkers.

The flow is precisely this.

Currently being used to complete a lofi music video.
    Music video is being filmed using an iphone with an anamorphic lens.

The client is happy as the track was also tracked, mixed and remixed on this rig.

• edited August 2021

Chiming in again with the 1010 Blackbox. Paired with Zoom MS70CDR for effect loop resampling this combo is wicked fun. It’s like having a hardware box micro ableton with a multi fx Plugin.

I’d like to get an OPZ soon so I can have at least some synthesis in my rig but I’ve been around the block this year with grooveboxes. Had and sold Op-1, Deluge, Digitakt, Polyend Tracker.... sold my Blackbox and purchased a new one three days later (nice To refresh that Sweetwater warranty I guess?) to show you how addicting this little Swiss Army knife sampler/clip launcher/granular synthesis/looper dude that’s the size of like two cd cases on top Of each other is 😂

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Chiming in again with the 1010 Blackbox. Paired with Zoom MS70CDR for effect loop resampling this combo is wicked fun. It’s like having a hardware box micro ableton with a multi fx Plugin.

I’d like to get an OPZ soon so I can have at least some synthesis in my rig but I’ve been around the block this year with grooveboxes. Had and sold Op-1, Deluge, Digitakt, Polyend Tracker.... sold my Blackbox and purchased a new one three days later (nice To refresh that Sweetwater warranty I guess?) to show you how addicting this little Swiss Army knife sampler/clip launcher/granular synthesis/looper dude that’s the size of like two cd cases on top Of each other is 😂

Yeah the black box is really nice. Seems easy, fun and efficient. At that price I could get two different things, like a black box and a model cycles or something lol
    But who knows, it seems like I’m back to square one on decision making.

• Man. I just love the OctaTrack. Everyone should have one at least once in their lifetime. Such a magical instrument:

• @echoopera said:
    Man. I just love the OctaTrack. Everyone should have one at least once in their lifetime. Such a magical instrument:

It looks lovely however this is the one I’ve probably watched the least a,Lunt of tutorials or demos on.
    What separates this and makes this superior to the mpc live or mc 707 in your opinion?

• @Weareroses The OctaTrack is a Classic Sampler and Sequencer in a box. 8 Audio Channels and 8 Midi Channels. It’s a unique workflow that defined the Elektron way of making music.

There is no better or best answer in regards to your question. Elektron is a way of making music as much as the other two. You 100% get out what you put in to it.

• @echoopera said:
    @Weareroses The OctaTrack is a Classic Sampler and Sequencer in a box. 8 Audio Channels and 8 Midi Channels. It’s a unique workflow that defined the Elektron way of making music.

There is no better or best answer in regards to your question. Elektron is a way of making music as much as the other two. You 100% get out what you put in to it.

Yeah I get what you’re saying after watching a few videos it looks great… real pricey tho. Thank Bro so now I’m debating between an octatrack, and mpc live two and a Roland mc 707 hahahaha

• edited August 2021

Of the three I’d go for the Live 2. I think you’d get the most out of it. It pairs well with the iPad and external synths and is great on its own, and is aces with its desktop app.

• @echoopera said:
    Of the three I’d go for the Live 2. I think you’d get the most out of it. It pairs well with the iPad and external synths and is great on its own, and is aces with its desktop app.

At this point I don’t have many cons for the mpc live two except the fact I need a desktop to update the firmware.
    The mc 707 if I believe so I can update the firmware using the iPad as well as use the iPad for file storage management… being I don’t have a laptop or desktop computer I could see that coming in handy. However I wanted something more portable, and even tho the mpc live two I heavy it is portable. ….

• You don't need a computer to update the firmware. You can use your iPhone or iPad and download the USB image file update (*.img file), rather than the PC or MAC update files. Plus the new synth plugins are in a zip file. All of which can be managed by the Files App on your iPhone or iPad and a connected USB drive formatted in exFAT or FAT32.

If you need help, just ask. I've owned almost all grooveboxes, including the Quasimidi 309, Spectralis, EMU Command Stations, MPC, ASR-X, MV8000, RS7000, Electribes, Elektrons, SPs, MCs even the MC-09 :smiley:

• @ocelot said:
    You don't need a computer to update the firmware. You can use your iPhone or iPad and download the USB image file update (*.img file), rather than the PC or MAC update files. Plus the new synth plugins are in a zip file. All of which can be managed by the Files App on your iPhone or iPad and a connected USB drive formatted in exFAT or FAT32.

If you need help, just ask. I've owned almost all grooveboxes, including the Quasimidi 309, Spectralis, EMU Command Stations, MPC, ASR-X, MV8000, RS7000, Electribes, Elektrons, SPs, MCs even the MC-09 :smiley:

True, you can copy this to a usb disk or an sdcard. Then select update from the MPC settings menu.

• Other than that I saw a comment elsewhere that it can only do an even number of steps.

Individual MPC tracks and Force clips can do even, odd, and in-between steps too. Its step sequencer is tied to its piano roll MIDI editor, so just think of each step as 24 ticks, or 240 if you're using 960 PPQN. Set Time Division up to 64ths for manageable in-between step sequencing, using the 16 pads. There's also an Event List editor, which is a tracker-like view, where you can nudge events with finer resolution than you can in the piano roll MIDI editor. The Force allows you to quantize each individual clip's start/launch-time to a specific division as well. Easy polymetric rhythms, with a bit of math.

• @ocelot said:
    You don't need a computer to update the firmware. You can use your iPhone or iPad and download the USB image file update (*.img file), rather than the PC or MAC update files. Plus the new synth plugins are in a zip file. All of which can be managed by the Files App on your iPhone or iPad and a connected USB drive formatted in exFAT or FAT32.

Hmm. So I can update to 2.10 without a computer and use my iPad? Ok dope! I’m real close to pulling the trigger on the live 2.
    I’m down to two options, mc 707 and live two, I’m not adding anymore to the list lol I need to break it down for myself now lol Thanks for your help

• edited August 2021

Octatrack has no polysynth plugin like MPC's Hype synth.

Pattern entry and editing is very different from what I've seen of MPC

Octatrack MIDI tracks have 4-note polyphony limit

No velocity or pressure sensitive pads for banging in beats like MPC or Maschine

Just some things to consider when comparing Octatrack to MPC and MC-101/707

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Octatrack has no polysynth plugin like MPC's Hype synth.

Pattern entry and editing is very different from what I've seen of MPC

Octatrack MIDI tracks have 4-note polyphony limit

No velocity or pressure sensitive pads for banging in beats like MPC or Maschine

Just some things to consider when comparing Octatrack to MPC and MC-101/707

I’m ordering on the first… I’ll decide between the live two and mc 707 by then, I hope.